Electric field effects in tne brain

In summary, the study presented evidence that the endogenous electric field generated by cortical neurons can have a global modulating effect. The full article can be found at the provided link. The conversation then shifts to a personal experience where the individual had a hypnopompic hallucination and experienced an increased heart rate and palpitations. This experience may have been caused by over-exercising and stress. The individual is now seeking medical advice.
SW VandeCarr
This study presents evidence that the complex endogenous (internal) electric field generated by the activity of individual cortical neurons exerts a feedback which has a global modulating effect. The linked summary links to the full article (PDF). (The second link is a bit slow as this is a long article)

http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(10)00463-0

Biology news on Phys.org
Great, thanks a lot. Now I have to add a mutual inductance term to my model.

Pythagorean said:
Great, thanks a lot. Now I have to add a mutual inductance term to my model.

Quite a few of them I would think.

Maybe i heard my brain's electric field switch off and on for a split second?

One night when i was sleeping and for the first time ever while in a deep sleep
(only way i can describe it but like a Physorg article said , it's really interesting
how deeply/closely the mind and body is connected) anyhow as i was saying:

That night while in deep sleep "something
warned me that something was not right" It was as if i knew that i might not wake up again, as if my brain prepared me for my final moment. before i continue...

I do not know what it is called, or what it is, and if there is a term to describe it.
It is as if when you are fast asleep, you become aware of your life support system. That night it was as if i heard inside my brain that something was switched off briefly, I can almost compare it to it sounding like a television set being switched off briefly, then it it came back on almost immediately. Never had such an experience.

But it was alarming and felt really frightening.

Suddenly i woke up. I took my pulse and found that after say every 18th beat
my heart skipped a beat, sometimes the skipping happenned more frequent.

Since that day, my heart rate was fine and it never re-occured. I can tell you though,
i probably never was so frightened as i was that night.

I don't drink or moke and i was excersisng hard at that time, might've been
over excersising? But i do not really excersise a lot these days, only walking and hiking. I
have a history of strenious excersisng "if one could call it that" Maybe it had to do with over training and not enough rest.

i never had any heart trouble history.

Just wanted to share this, don't no why :) This is a great site, with many interesting people, and opinions.

Axefly said:
Maybe i heard my brain's electric field switch off and on for a split second?

One night when i was sleeping and for the first time ever while in a deep sleep
(only way i can describe it but like a Physorg article said , it's really interesting
how deeply/closely the mind and body is connected) anyhow as i was saying:

That night while in deep sleep "something
warned me that something was not right" It was as if i knew that i might not wake up again, as if my brain prepared me for my final moment. before i continue...

I do not know what it is called, or what it is, and if there is a term to describe it.
It is as if when you are fast asleep, you become aware of your life support system. That night it was as if i heard inside my brain that something was switched off briefly, I can almost compare it to it sounding like a television set being switched off briefly, then it it came back on almost immediately. Never had such an experience.

But it was alarming and felt really frightening.

Suddenly i woke up. I took my pulse and found that after say every 18th beat
my heart skipped a beat, sometimes the skipping happenned more frequent.

Since that day, my heart rate was fine and it never re-occured. I can tell you though,
i probably never was so frightened as i was that night.

I don't drink or moke and i was excersisng hard at that time, might've been
over excersising? But i do not really excersise a lot these days, only walking and hiking. I
have a history of strenious excersisng "if one could call it that" Maybe it had to do with over training and not enough rest.

i never had any heart trouble history.

Just wanted to share this, don't no why :) This is a great site, with many interesting people, and opinions.

What you've described does not sound like "your brain turned off", but rather something that is called a hypnopompic hallucination. The increase in heart rate was a result of surprise and fear, and the sensation of missing beats is called "palpitations" which is a response to anxiety and stress. You have no reason to be afraid for your life.

I am now going to see a doctor.

Axefly said:
I am now going to see a doctor.

Ooooook...

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. In the context of the brain, it is the result of the electrical activity of neurons and their connections.

How does the electric field affect the brain?

The electric field in the brain can influence the activity of neurons and their communication with each other. It can also affect the permeability of cell membranes, leading to changes in ion concentrations and ultimately altering the function of the brain.

Can external electric fields affect the brain?

Yes, external electric fields can impact the brain. Studies have shown that exposure to certain types of electric fields can lead to changes in brain activity and behavior. However, the effects may vary depending on the strength and duration of exposure.

Are there any potential risks associated with electric field effects in the brain?

While more research is needed, some studies suggest that exposure to strong and prolonged electric fields may have negative effects on brain function and health. This is especially concerning for individuals who are exposed to electric fields on a regular basis, such as those working in certain industries or using electronic devices frequently.

How can we mitigate potential negative effects of electric fields on the brain?

To reduce potential risks, it is important to limit exposure to strong and prolonged electric fields. This can be achieved by following safety guidelines and regulations, using protective equipment, and minimizing the use of electronic devices when possible. Further research is also needed to better understand the long-term effects of electric fields on the brain.