How do I rearrange this equation to solve for B?

• Thread starter martine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an empirical relationship where A is equal to 1.27 times B raised to the 0.45 power. The individual is stuck because they are unable to rearrange the equation in order to find the value of B when A is given. It is suggested to use a specific example, such as B=5, to understand how the equation works and to take into account rounding when using a calculator. The summary concludes by providing a simple formula for finding B in terms of other numbers.
martine
I'm almost a bit ashamed to ask, but for some reason I'm stuck. Being a bit thick today I guess.

Given is an empirical relationship
A = 1.27*B^0.45
A = given. Say 2.5

What is B?

For some reason, if I take a random but plausible B and calculate A, I get a different result then when I take the resultant A and try to result at the B I just made up. Either I can't rearrange equations anymore, or this relationship only works in one direction. Sounds silly...

Help, please?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would have helped if you had shown exactly what numbers you used and what numbers you got.

If, for example, we take B= 5, then A= 1.27(5^.45)= 1.27(2.0632)= 2.6202. Going the other way, if A= 2.6202, then 2.6202= 1.27(B^.45) so B^.45= 2.6202/1.27= 2.0632 and then B= (2.0632)^(1/.45)= 2.0632^2.222= 4.999 which rounds to 5.

That rounding may be what you are talking about. Even if you use a calculator which shows, say 10 decimal places, it is working, internally, to several more decimal places so you can't expect to get exactly what you started with- it should be the same up to the last one or two decimal places, however.

Suppose you have the equation:

A=C*B^d.

Then, B, in terms of the other numbers is:
B=(A/C)^(1/d)

Simple.
Take 2.5/1.27 and get 1.969
Take 1.969 and raise it to the (1/.45).
You get 4.507.

It's completely normal to get stuck on equations, even as a scientist. Don't be ashamed to ask for help! It's important to always double check your calculations and make sure you're using the correct units and values.

To rearrange this equation to solve for B, we need to isolate B on one side of the equation. We can do this by dividing both sides of the equation by 1.27 and then raising both sides to the power of 1/0.45.

So the equation would become:

B = (A/1.27)^(1/0.45)

To solve for B, simply plug in the given value of A (2.5) and solve using a calculator or by hand. This should give you the value of B.

It's important to note that in empirical relationships, there may be some discrepancies between calculated and actual values due to experimental error or other factors. It's always a good idea to check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance.

1. What is the purpose of rearranging equations in science?

Rearranging equations is a fundamental part of problem-solving in science. It allows us to manipulate mathematical expressions and solve for different variables, making it easier to understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

2. How do you know when to rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation is typically necessary when we need to solve for a specific variable or when we want to simplify the expression. This is often done when we have multiple equations and need to combine them to solve a larger problem.

3. What are the basic principles of rearranging equations?

The basic principles of rearranging equations involve maintaining the equality of the expression by performing the same operation on both sides. This can include adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides by the same number or variable.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rearranging equations?

One common mistake to avoid when rearranging equations is not being consistent with the order of operations. It is important to follow the rules of parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and addition and subtraction when performing operations on both sides of an equation.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in rearranging equations?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in rearranging equations is to solve a variety of problems from different branches of science. You can also use online resources and practice worksheets to familiarize yourself with different techniques and strategies for rearranging equations.