Stressed-out girl needs help w/ physics

In summary: , but i figured it out already, it just took me some time, i truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart that you would take your time to help me.
elizabethg
Hello, I need help on this problem...

A car is traveling at a constant speed of 18.0 m/s, when the motorist sees a cow in the road 38.0 m ahead. If the maximum acceleration of the vehicle is -4.50 m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time fo the motorist that will allow her to avoid hitting the cow?

I have tried many different ways. I was thinking you would use an integral from 0 to x because you want to find the maximum reaction time. The equation I thought to integrate was -38+18t+.5(-4.5)t^2 which, of course, was wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The motorist must stop within a time of 38/18, since this is how long it will take her to cover 38 meters. The minimum time it will take her to stop occurs when she deaccelerates at a constant -4.50 until the car stops. The maximum reaction time will be the difference of these two times. Using your numbers, I find that her minimum stop time exceeds the time she is allotted (38/18). Are you sure all the values are correct?

All my values are correct, but i thought you would integrate it or something, the answers our teacher gave us to choose from were .0251, .111, .360, .521, .684. i thought you would just plug those numbers in. I am not really sure.

I believe my method is correct and see no reason for integration (assuming you already have the derived basic kinematic equations). I suspect one of your given values is incorrect. It's possible the teacher may have made a mistake for one of the numbers.

elizabethg said:
All my values are correct, but i thought you would integrate it or something, the answers our teacher gave us to choose from were .0251, .111, .360, .521, .684. i thought you would just plug those numbers in. I am not really sure.

If the car decelerates uniformly from 18.0 ms^-2 to 0 ms^-2 it will cover a distance of [itex]\Delta x=\frac{v^2 - u^2}{2a}[/itex] or 36 m. That means the car may travel an allowable distance of 2 m before the driver hits the brakes. Therefore, at a velocity of 18 ms^-1, the allowable reaction time is 0.111 s.

thank you, but i figured it out already, it just took me some time, i truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart that you would take your time to help me. thank you

1. How does stress affect a person's ability to understand and apply physics concepts?

Stress can have a negative impact on a person's ability to learn and retain information. When someone is stressed, their brain releases cortisol, a hormone that can interfere with memory and critical thinking. This can make it more difficult for the person to understand and apply physics concepts.

2. What are some strategies for managing stress while studying physics?

Some effective strategies for managing stress while studying physics include taking breaks, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, and seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist. It is also important to establish a study schedule and prioritize self-care activities such as exercise and getting enough sleep.

3. Can anxiety about physics exams affect performance?

Yes, anxiety about exams can significantly impact a person's performance on physics exams. When someone is anxious, their body goes into fight or flight mode, which can make it difficult to focus and think clearly. This can lead to poor performance on exams, even if the person has a good understanding of the material.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics when feeling overwhelmed and stressed?

If you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed while studying physics, it may be helpful to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. You can also try studying with a friend or seeking help from a tutor or teacher. Additionally, practicing self-care and managing stress levels can ultimately improve your understanding and retention of physics concepts.

5. Is it normal to feel stressed while studying physics?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel stressed while studying physics. Physics can be a challenging subject, and it is common for students to feel overwhelmed or anxious while trying to understand complex concepts. It is important to acknowledge and address these feelings in order to effectively manage them and succeed in your studies.