Pendulum tension in rotating reference frame

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the difference in tension on a pendulum hanging in a rotating chair. The length of the pendulum is 65.3 cm and the radius of rotation is 32 cm. The pendulum weighs 20.0 g and the chair completes a rotation every 3 seconds. The student is unsure of how to take into account the rotational motion and is seeking help to create a free body diagram. The solution involves considering the fictitious centrifugal force acting on the pendulum and treating the problem as an ordinary statics problem.
knightcydonia

Homework Statement

A student is in a rotating chair with a pendulum hanging down in the middle of the rotation. . I need to calculate the difference in tension when the bob is hanging vertically and when the chair is rotating. The length of the bob and string is 65.3 cm. The radius of the rotation is 32 cm and the bob weighs 20.0 g and the chair completes a rotation every 3 sec.

Homework Equations

F=ma
T=mg
F=m(v^2/r)
ac=v^2/r
v=(2piR)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

The tension when it is vertical and not rotating would just be T=mg or .196N. When the chair is rotating I get confused. To me it seems all I have to do is find the angle the bob makes with the vertical and multiply this to the tension of the vertical (but I can't find the angle). However, since the chair is rotating I'm not sure how this effects tension. I'm not sure if centripetal acceleration has anything to do with it. I'm not even sure how to make the free body diagram. I know mg and T act on the bob in opposite directions and a fictitious force is pulling the bob outward.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi knightcydonia! :smile:

if you're using the corotating frame, then there's no acceleration at all,

so you can treat it as an ordinary statics problem (with the extra, centrifugal, force) …

just do a free body diagram as usual :wink:

sorry, but for the free body diagram T and mg are opposite and the bob is unknown degrees from vertical. What is causing the bob to move outward? the fictitious centrifugal force? I don't know how to find the angle...? sorry

knightcydonia said:
What is causing the bob to move outward? the fictitious centrifugal force?

yes!

pretend it's a fictitious horizontal rope, and put it in the diagram :wink:

now proceed as usual (free body diagram or vector triangle ) :smile:

Thank you for speedy replies and help!

1. What is a pendulum tension in a rotating reference frame?

In a rotating reference frame, a pendulum experiences an apparent change in its tension due to the centrifugal force acting on it. This force causes the pendulum to move away from its equilibrium position, resulting in a change in the tension force that is exerted on the pendulum.

2. How does the rotation speed affect the pendulum tension?

The faster the rotation speed, the greater the centrifugal force acting on the pendulum, and thus the higher the tension force on the pendulum. This means that as the rotation speed increases, the pendulum will experience a greater change in its tension.

3. What is the relationship between the pendulum length and the tension in a rotating reference frame?

The tension in a rotating reference frame is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does the tension force acting on it.

4. How does the angle of rotation affect the pendulum tension?

The angle of rotation has a minimal effect on the pendulum tension in a rotating reference frame. As long as the angle is not too large, the tension force on the pendulum will remain relatively constant. However, if the angle is too large, the tension force may decrease due to the pendulum's motion becoming more circular rather than back and forth.

5. What is the significance of pendulum tension in a rotating reference frame?

Understanding pendulum tension in a rotating reference frame is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It helps to explain the behavior of pendulums in rotational systems, and can also be used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery.