Are electrically neutral particles invisible?

In summary, the question is whether neutral particles like neutrons can interact with photons. According to Wikipedia, neutrons do not have a net electric charge but they do have up and down quarks which have electric charge. This means that neutrons likely do interact with photons, but the interaction is much weaker due to the magnetic-dipole moment and electric-dipole moment of the neutron. Experimental limits show that a neutron's electric-dipole moment would have to be significantly larger to produce a comparable amount of scattering to its magnetic-dipole moment. Additionally, the polarizability of neutrons makes the interaction with photons even weaker.
pelmel92
As the thread title suggests, I was wondering if electrically neutral particles like neutrons can absorb/emit/reflect photons. I don't really have any sort of physics background so I'm not sure this question even makes much sense... but I vaguely remember hearing that photons don't necessarily interact with all particles, which got me to wondering about which particles they do/don't affect. Since photons are, as I understand it, electromagnetic in nature, it made sense to me that maybe they wouldn't be able to interact with electrically neutral particles... which I imagine would render them invisible.

Anyone willing to alleviate my breathtaking ignorance would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
As wikipedia suggests here a neutron does not have NET electric charge. But it consists of up and down quarks which have electric charge (+2e/3 for the up quark, -1e/3 for the down quark, e the charge of electron) so most likely interracts with photons . (Common matter has no net electric charge too but still interacts with photons ).

Neutrons also have a magnetic-dipole moment, this also due to their quark content. However, it interacts much more weakly than an electric charge. I estimate for the photon scattering cross section:

CS(M1) ~ (w/m)2 CS(E0)
M1 = magnetic dipole
E0 = electric charge

CS(E0) = Thomson scattering (scattering off of free charged particles)
CS(E0, neutron) = (melectron/mneutron)2 CS(E0, electron)

w = angular frequency of photon, m = mass of neutron

CS(M1)/CS(E0,electron) is about 10-24 for visible light.

Neutrons' electric-dipole moments are too small to measure. Experimental limits are about 10-13 e*fermi (neutron size), while the Standard Model predicts a value 10-6 times smaller than that. A neutron's electric-dipole moment would have to be about 1 e*fermi to produce an amount of scattering comparable to what a neutron's magnetic-dipole moment produces.

But there's another electrical property we can use: polarizability. That's even worse:

CS(pol) ~ (w/m)4 CS(E0)

So CS(pol)/CS(E0,electron) ~ 10-42 for visible light.

1. Why are electrically neutral particles invisible?

Electrically neutral particles do not interact with electromagnetic fields, which are responsible for visible light. As a result, they do not reflect or emit any light that is detectable by the human eye.

2. Can electrically neutral particles be detected?

Yes, electrically neutral particles can be detected using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators and detectors. They can also be indirectly detected through their interactions with other particles or through their effects on other physical phenomena.

3. Are all particles in the universe electrically neutral?

No, not all particles in the universe are electrically neutral. Some particles, such as protons and electrons, have a positive or negative charge respectively. However, many particles, including neutrinos and certain types of atoms, are electrically neutral.

4. How do electrically neutral particles contribute to the universe?

Electrically neutral particles play important roles in the universe. For example, they can make up the majority of matter in the universe and are essential for processes such as nuclear fusion in stars and radioactive decay.

5. Can electrically neutral particles be affected by external forces?

Yes, electrically neutral particles can be affected by external forces such as gravity and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces can cause electrically neutral particles to interact with other particles and undergo changes in their properties.