Origins of the Coulomb - Understanding How the Unit of Charge Came to Be

• Thread starter gammastate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coulomb
In summary, the coulomb is a unit of charge equal to the charge of 6.24151×10^18 electrons or the charge that flows every second when the current is 1 A. Its origins are not clearly defined and may have been created before Millikan's oil drop experiment. The coulomb is related to the ampere, which is the fundamental unit in SI and is defined based on the electromagnetic force between two conductors. The charge of the electron was measured, not defined, and the statement about how many electron charges are in a coulomb is simply providing information, not a definition.
gammastate
I'm having a difficult time understanding how the coulomb came to be around as a unit of charge. The definition that a coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24151×10^18 electrons and that the charge of one electron is -1.602176487(40)×10^19 seems to me like circular reasoning. The other definition that a coulomb is equal to the charge that flows every second when the current is 1 A also seems to be based on circular reasoning.

After doing some research I still have not been able to find a concrete definition of the coulomb. Thus far I have been making the assumption that the coulomb as a unit of charge was created before Millikan's oil drop experiment (please correct me if I'm mistaken). I have also considered the possibility that the the coulomb as a unit of charge means that at some certain distance two objects of 1 coulomb of electric charge will exert a force on each other (although now that I think of it the constant k in Coulomb's Law may be the arbitrary value).

Anyways, I hope that I've made the dilemma clear enough and I hope that some of you may be able to shed some light on the origins of the coulomb.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ampere is the fundamental unit in SI. Is defined with no reference to charge.
Then the coulomb is 1Ax1s. No circular definition here.

The ampere is defined based on the electromagnetic force between two conductors.

The charge of the electron was measured, not defined.
And saying how many e charges are in a coulomb is not a definition but just some (useful) information.

1. What is the Coulomb and why is it important?

The Coulomb is a unit of electric charge, named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb. It is used to measure the amount of electric charge present in a system, and is an important part of understanding electricity and electromagnetic interactions.

2. How was the Coulomb unit developed?

The Coulomb unit was developed by Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in the late 18th century. He conducted experiments with charged objects to determine the relationship between distance, force, and charge. From these experiments, he was able to develop a mathematical equation to define the unit of charge.

3. What is the relationship between the Coulomb and the SI unit of charge?

The Coulomb is the SI unit of electric charge, meaning it is the internationally accepted standard unit for measuring charge. One Coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.241 x 10^18 electrons, which is also known as the elementary charge.

4. How is the Coulomb unit used in everyday life?

The Coulomb unit is used in various aspects of everyday life, such as in household electricity bills, electronic devices, and industrial equipment. It is also used in scientific research and engineering to measure and understand electric charge and its effects.

5. Are there any alternative units of charge besides the Coulomb?

Yes, there are several alternative units of charge, such as the statcoulomb, abampere, and franklin. However, these units are not commonly used and the Coulomb remains the standard unit of charge in the SI system of measurement.