Exploring the Viability of Focus Fusion: Separating Fact from Fiction

In summary, focus fusion is a method of achieving fusion using a custom designed set of electrodes. It is still in the early stages of development, but appears to be legit. There are some problems with losing particles during fusion, but they are working on a way to solve it. As of now, focus fusion appears to be possible, but there is still lots of research to be done.
AndyUrquijo
Hi everyone,

Im currently in the way of learning about fusion to prepare myself for a thesis in this area. The method of colliding beams was what came to my mind the most naturally at first and it has catched my interest ever since. So, this is what i want to ask: Is there any serious articles that study the viability of this method (aka focus fusion*)? Or rather, could this method have some critical issue that is difficult/impossible to solve?

Im aware that the usual colliders would not give you enough events (i.e. enough beam density) to break even in energy, but this is not immposible to solve in principle. And all types of reactors face this problem, so density should be equally important in all of them. Unless the relation between event rates and density is drastically different in colliding devices (if it is I would like to know why).

Losing particles due to the coloumb interactions is a real problem though. Is it not possible to "recycle" some of these particles? I am thinking about collider rings here (cyclic paths).

So, is focus fusion posible?

PD#1: I would like to know about a good introductory text on fusion. A text on a more general topic such as "introduction to nuclear physics" that treats fusion neatly is also fine.
PD#2: Are http://focusfusion.org/" a serious group? They seem like pseudo-physicist-hippies to mo me at first glance.

*Focus fusion may not be exacly the same as colliding beams. But I am referring to the general idea of using the energy of a beam to start fusion instead of the usual thermic energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Focus Fusion (Referring to the site you linked) doesn't use colliding beams to do fusion. The short answer is they use a custom designed set of electrodes that cause the plasma to form a specific shape that results in fusion. From everything I've seen of them they are very legit and are accomplishing fusion with it. The actual physics of it can be found on the focus fusion website. Wether they can get it to produce useable amounts of power still remains to be seen of course.

As per your question about colliding beams, the problem is the losses you sustain when atoms don't fuse. They end up scattering at all different angles. The only way to contain these would be to design it so that those scattered ones still transfer energy or collide with other particles, resulting in a design that is definitively not a colliding design. =)

Also, remember that for an atom, the kinetic energy and thermal energy are the same thing. Colliding beams of particles is equivalent to heating them up to a certain temperature. In both cases the particles simply move around faster.

Ok I think I understand what focus fusion is now, certainly not colliding beams. I guess I should make a new thread now, to have a more appropiate title.

1. What is focus fusion and how does it work?

Focus fusion is a type of nuclear fusion that involves focusing powerful beams of ionized gas, or plasma, onto a small target filled with hydrogen isotopes. The intense heat and pressure created by the beams causes the hydrogen nuclei to fuse, releasing energy in the form of heat and light.

2. Is focus fusion a viable source of energy?

While focus fusion has shown promising results in laboratory experiments, it is not currently a viable source of energy. The technology is still in its early stages of development and faces many challenges, including achieving sustained fusion reactions and scaling up to produce enough energy to be commercially viable.

3. What are the potential benefits of focus fusion?

If successfully developed, focus fusion could potentially provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy. It also does not produce long-lived radioactive waste like traditional nuclear energy, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

4. What are the main criticisms of focus fusion?

Some of the main criticisms of focus fusion include the high cost and technical challenges involved in developing the technology, as well as concerns over its safety and potential for producing harmful radiation. There are also debates over whether focus fusion is a more viable solution than other renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power.

5. What is the current state of focus fusion research?

Focus fusion research is ongoing, with several privately funded companies and research institutions working to develop the technology. While there have been some promising results in laboratory experiments, there is still a long way to go before focus fusion can be considered a viable source of energy.