Question about the integral test

In summary, the given series is convergent with a sum of 2/e. The integral test was used to determine this by evaluating the definite integral and taking the limit as t approaches infinity. The ratio test can also be used to check for convergence, which states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, the series converges absolutely. In this case, the ratio test would also show that the series converges since the limit is 1/e, which is less than 1.
vande060

Homework Statement

(∞, n=1) ∑ ne-n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(∞, n=1) ∑ ne-n

limt--> ∞ ∫ xe-x dx from 1 to t

here i tried to do integration by parts

u = x
du=dx
dv= e-x dx
v= -e-x

not sure where to take limits at this point, is it like this

limt--> ∞ -xe-x (from 1 to t) + limt--> ∞ ∫ e-xdx from 1 to ti can of course go further with the integral, but how does this look so far, i can't really make sense out of it :/

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to say what you are actually trying to do. Are you trying to sum the series or just show it converges?

When evaluating a definite integral using integration by parts, evaluate it as if it were an indefinite integral and then substitute your limits over the entire integrand.

Dick said:
You forgot to say what you are actually trying to do. Are you trying to sum the series or just show it converges?

oops use the integral test to determine whether the series is convergent or divergent

jhae2.718 said:
When evaluating a definite integral using integration by parts, evaluate it as if it were an indefinite integral and then substitute your limits over the entire integrand.

so ill try just taking the integral by parts, then apply the limit with where i end up over the entire integrand in that process like this?

I = ∫ xe-x dx from 1 to t

u = x
du=dx
dv= e-x dx
v= -e-xI = -xe-x (from 1 to t) + ∫ e-x dx (from 1 to t)

I = -xe-x (from 1 to t) -e-x + C (from 1 to t)

I = lim t --> ∞ -xe-x (from 1 to t) - lim t --> ∞ e-x + C (from 1 to t)

vande060 said:
oops use the integral test to determine whether the series is convergent or divergent

Ok, then. You know the integral converges, right? Now you just have to show lim x->infinity of x*e^(-x) exists.

Basically, yes. Substitute your upper and lower limits into the integrand, and then take [tex]\lim_{t \to \infty}[/tex].

Checking convergence by doing a much simpler ratio test wouldn't hurt you a bit either. I don't know why you are doing an integral test on this one. Was that your choice?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Checking convergence by doing a much simpler ratio test wouldn't hurt you a bit either. I don't know why you are doing an integral test on this one. Was that your choice?

no choice, have not learned ration test yet, that's next chapter

Basically, yes. Substitute your upper and lower limits into the integrand, and then take lim

okedokie, so to wrap this up:

I = lim t --> ∞ -xe-x (from 1 to t) - lim t --> ∞ e-x[/SUBP] + C (from 1 to t)

Ill break it into 2 pieces:

lim t --> ∞ -xe-x (from 1 to t) = -(0-1/e) = 1/e

- lim t --> ∞ e-x[/SUBP] + C (from 1 to t) = ( 0 - 1/e) = -1/e

so the answer is that the series converges on 2/e

Last edited:
vande060 said:
no choice, have not learned ration test yet, that's next chapter

The ratio test states that, for a series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/tex], for [tex]L = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right|[/tex]:
if L > 1, the series diverges.
if L = 1 or DNE, the test fails
if L < 1, the series converges absolutely.
vande060 said:
okedokie, so to wrap this up:

I = lim t --> ∞ -xe-x (from 1 to t) - lim t --> ∞ e-x + C (from 1 to t)

Yes, so substitute the limits in, take the limit as t > infinity, and what do you get? Note that the integral is definite so there is no need for C.

Last edited:
vande060 said:
Ill break it into 2 peices, starting with the second piece

- lim t --> ∞ e-x[/SUBP] + C (from 1 to t) this should go to 0

You'll want to substitute in the limits of integration first, so you have:
[tex]\lim_{t \to \infty} \left[\left(-te^{-t}-e^{-t}\right)-\left(-e^{-1}-e^{-1}\right)\right][/tex]

vande060 said:
so the answer is that the series converges on 2/e

Yes.

1. What is the integral test and how is it used in calculus?

The integral test is a method used in calculus to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the series to an improper integral and using the properties of integrals to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

2. How do you know when to use the integral test?

The integral test is typically used when the terms of a series are positive and decreasing. This means that the terms are getting smaller as the series goes on. If the terms are not positive and decreasing, then the integral test cannot be used.

3. What is the relationship between the integral test and the p-series test?

The integral test and the p-series test are both used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. The p-series test is used specifically for series of the form 1/n^p, while the integral test can be used for a wider range of series. In some cases, the integral test can be used to prove the convergence of a series that the p-series test cannot.

4. Can the integral test be used for alternating series?

No, the integral test cannot be used for alternating series. This is because the integral test requires the terms of the series to be positive and decreasing, which is not the case for alternating series.

5. Are there any limitations to the integral test?

Yes, there are some limitations to the integral test. As mentioned earlier, it cannot be used for alternating series. Additionally, the integral test may not always provide a conclusive result for series with terms that are not positive and decreasing.