A practical question from a resident in Tokyo

• Thread starter britinjapan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Practical
In summary: I would recommend following the US government's advice on this matter if you're concerned about your health. However, if you are comfortable with the risks and feel you can monitor your exposure, then you can stay. As of now, no one can predict whether or not the situation will worsen or get better, so it is important to keep track of any changes.
britinjapan
I discovered your site yesterday, and have been fortunate to find such fine quality and detailed information on the Japan situation. Forgive me if I missed this already, but I have a few questions on actually living in Tokyo - I would much appreciate any responses:

1. The radiation level seems to be around 0.20-0.30 micro sieverts per hour - although I read this is not high, what precautions should I be taking? Covering skin (bald head!); changing clothes at door (keeping outdoor clothing separate etc)?

2. Regarding the levels of drinking water, Iodine 131 and Cesium 134 and 137 are currently in drinking water (http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/emergency/monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/monitoring/w-past_data.html). What is anyones advice?

3. I just recently fould out about MOX in reactor 3 - is there anything else I should be looking out for - a few words on Plutonium for a novice would be appreciated.

4. Lastly - at what trigger does one move south or out? If the Japanese Government move the radius around the plant to 100km, this is obviously a sign that the situation is getting a lot worse? An explosion? Any other things to look out for, or levels to be monitored?

Any comments and views appreciated for a novice and resident in Tokyo.

Once again, thanks for your access to your fine site.

Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
britinjapan said:
1. The radiation level seems to be around 0.20-0.30 micro sieverts per hour - although I read this is not high, what precautions should I be taking? Covering skin (bald head!); changing clothes at door (keeping outdoor clothing separate etc)?

4. Lastly - at what trigger does one move south or out? If the Japanese Government move the radius around the plant to 100km, this is obviously a sign that the situation is getting a lot worse? An explosion? Any other things to look out for, or levels to be monitored?

Any comments and views appreciated for a novice and resident in Tokyo.
The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission recommended annual occupational dosage limits for adults is given in

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1736/

Specifically see page 3-38 at

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33280&d=1300574969

The recommended maximum annual occupational dose is 5 rem, or 50 milliSieverts. This is equivalent to about 6 microSieverts per hour. Dose rates less than this are tolerable.

If you spend a lot of time outdoors, cover your head, or risk getting sunburned.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks. Could anyone comment on the implications/consequences that Plutonium has now been discovered in the top soil near the plant? Thanks

You might keep track of the US government's evacuation advice to US nationals living in Japan. As the disaster unfolded they advised US citizens within a 50 mile radius to evacuate, as opposed to the Japanese government's 12 km or so (I may be remembering the numbers wrong).

There is reason to suspect that we are reporting radiation levels and risks more accurately than the Japanese government (remember when our government said the reactor fire wasn't out after the Japanese said it was, and when they looked again they did find fire?)

Dear resident in Tokyo,

Thank you for your interest in our site and for reaching out with your questions. I understand your concerns about the radiation levels and the current situation in Japan. Here are my responses to your questions:

1. The radiation levels in Tokyo are currently at a low level, as you mentioned. As a precaution, it is recommended to cover any exposed skin and to wash your hands frequently. You can also change your clothes at the door to prevent any potential contamination. It is also important to follow any guidelines or instructions provided by the local authorities regarding radiation safety.

2. The levels of Iodine 131 and Cesium 134 and 137 in drinking water are currently being monitored closely by the government. If you are concerned, you can also purchase bottled water or use a water filter to ensure the safety of your drinking water.

3. MOX (mixed oxide) is a type of fuel used in nuclear reactors that contains both uranium and plutonium. Plutonium is a highly radioactive element that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is important to follow any evacuation orders or safety protocols provided by the government in case of any potential release of plutonium.

4. The decision to move south or out of Tokyo should be based on the advice and instructions of the Japanese government. They are continuously monitoring the situation and will provide updates and evacuation orders if necessary. It is important to stay informed and follow their guidelines.

I hope this information helps to address your concerns. It is always important to stay informed and follow the advice of local authorities during any emergency situation. Take care and stay safe.

Best regards,

1. How can I reduce my carbon footprint in Tokyo?

There are several ways to reduce your carbon footprint in Tokyo. You can try using public transportation instead of driving, walking or biking for short distances, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, and conserving water and electricity in your home. You can also support local businesses and buy locally-sourced products to reduce the emissions from transportation.

2. What are the best ways to recycle in Tokyo?

In Tokyo, recycling is taken very seriously. You can recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and cans by separating them into different bins provided by your local government. You can also check your local recycling guidelines to see if there are any specific rules for your area. It is important to thoroughly clean and dry recyclable items before disposing of them.

3. How can I conserve water in Tokyo?

In Tokyo, water conservation is crucial due to the city's limited water resources. To conserve water, you can take shorter showers, fix any leaks in your home, and use a bucket to collect and reuse water used for washing fruits and vegetables. You can also opt for low-flow fixtures and appliances to reduce your water usage.

4. How can I prepare for natural disasters in Tokyo?

Tokyo is prone to earthquakes, typhoons, and other natural disasters. It is important to have an emergency kit ready with essentials such as food, water, first-aid supplies, and a flashlight. You should also familiarize yourself with evacuation routes and have a plan in case of an emergency. Stay informed about weather and disaster alerts through local news and government websites.

5. What are some sustainable practices I can implement in my daily life in Tokyo?

There are many sustainable practices you can incorporate into your daily life in Tokyo. You can reduce your plastic usage by using reusable bags and containers, buy products with minimal packaging, and support environmentally-friendly businesses. You can also opt for renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, and participate in community clean-up events to help keep Tokyo clean and green.