Question regarding Actvity and conversion to Gray etc

• Thread starter |Fred
  • Start date
In summary: Assuming this sample is ingested , this particle has an activity of 0.027BqSo If I'm not mistaken it means that the sample will be the source 60x60x24x0.027 = 2332Bq in one day pretty much everyday if the particle is not removed.
|Fred
Hi,

If I am not mistaken the activity of a radioactive isotope is equal to the number of atoms in the sample multiplied by the decay constant of the material. The halflife and decay constant are related by:decay constant = (ln(2))/halflife.

Would you be kind enough to check the math

If I take a sample of 3x10^10 atoms of 239Pu
ln(2)/24000 = 2.888*10^-5 yr^-1 = 9.152*10^-13 sec^-1

The activity of my sample off 3x10^10 atoms of 239Pu would be

300 * (9.152*10^-13 sec^-1) = 2.391*10^-2 atoms/sec = 0.027 Bq.

Assuming this sample is ingested , this particle has an activity of 0.027Bq
So If I'm not mistaken it means that the sample will be the source 60x60x24x0.027 = 2332Bq in one day pretty much everyday if the particle is not removed.

From there how do we convert that into Gray

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
To convert disintegrations (rate) to dose (rate), one needs to know the energy of the emission, and then attenuation factors. I'll see if I can dig up some formulae.

If anyone is interested, there is a text called Radiological Health Handbook. I have the 1970 edition.

Here's something that may help. I haven't had time to review it though.

www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/docs/wipp/08-0442 attach 3.pdf

Interestingly - http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/servlets/purl/4708654-0dwoYD/4708654.pdf (use Save Target As) 25 MB.

Last edited:
|Fred said:
If I take a sample of 3x10^10 atoms of 239Pu
ln(2)/24000 = 2.888*10^-5 yr^-1 = 9.152*10^-13 sec^-1

The activity of my sample off 3x10^10 atoms of 239Pu would be

300 * (9.152*10^-13 sec^-1) = 2.391*10^-2 atoms/sec = 0.027 Bq.

Assuming this sample is ingested , this particle has an activity of 0.027Bq
So If I'm not mistaken it means that the sample will be the source 60x60x24x0.027 = 2332Bq in one day pretty much everyday if the particle is not removed.

From there how do we convert that into Gray
I think we have to go back to the definition of a Gray: 1 Gray = 1 joule per kilogram, and Sieverts = Q x Grays. For the dose we should use H = DQ Sieverts, where Q is the quality factor of alphas; Q = 20. See page 10-6 in

http://www.epa.gov/oswer/riskassessment/ragsa/pdf/ch10.pdf

Then joules is alpha energy in eV times the total decays in Coulombs, because joules = volts x Coulombs. So for your number (2332 Bq) we have

J= (5.24 x 106 eV) x (2332 Bq) x (1.6 x 10-19 Coulombs/Bq) = 2 x 10-9 joules.

So we have H = QJ/M = 20 x 2 x 10-9 joules/M = 4 x 10-8 joules/M Sieverts,

where M is the mass absorbing the alphas in kilograms.

===========

The range of a Pu-239 alpha is ≈ 4 cm in air = ≈ 0.004 cm in tissue.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between activity and conversion?

Activity refers to the level of engagement or involvement in a particular task or process. Conversion, on the other hand, refers to the act of changing or transforming something into a different form or state. In scientific terms, activity is a measure of the rate of a chemical reaction, while conversion is a measure of the extent of the reaction.

2. How is activity related to the production of gray matter in the brain?

Activity, particularly mental or physical exercise, has been shown to stimulate the growth of new neurons and increase the production of gray matter in the brain. This is because activity increases the release of certain chemicals in the brain that promote cell growth and survival, leading to an increase in gray matter volume.

3. Can activity be measured in terms of gray matter production?

While activity and gray matter production are related, they are not directly measurable in the same unit. Activity is typically measured in terms of frequency or intensity, while gray matter production is measured by changes in brain imaging techniques such as MRI or PET scans.

4. What are some examples of activities that can lead to increased gray matter production?

Activities that involve learning, problem-solving, and physical exercise have been shown to promote the growth of new neurons and increase the production of gray matter in the brain. Examples include learning a new language, playing a musical instrument, solving puzzles, and participating in regular aerobic exercise.

5. Is there a limit to how much gray matter can be produced through activity?

While research has shown that activity can increase gray matter production, there is no definitive answer to whether there is a limit to how much gray matter can be produced through activity. Some studies suggest that there may be a plateau effect, where the brain reaches a maximum level of gray matter production, while others suggest that the brain has a limitless capacity for growth and adaptation.