Orbital angular momentum and kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate [r, d/dr] and [r, pr] in a given equation. The extra factor of D/Dr comes from using the product rule, and the result is -ih[r, D/Dr] = ih. The conversation also questions if there is a missing factor and suggests working it out again.
bon

Homework Statement

Please see attached.

I have two questions:

how does pr get to be -ihbar (D/Dr + 1/r) ? where does the extra factor of D/Dr come from? one comes from r.del, but what about the other? surely div (r/r) = 2/r?

Also, why does [r,pr]=-ih[r,D/Dr] = ih?

surely -ih[r,D/Dr] = -ih(rD/Dr - 1)?

am i missing something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See my attempt above. thanks!

Attachments

• question..jpg
    question..jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate [r, d/dr], you need to use the product rule in calculating the second term:

[tex]\left[r,\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\right]\psi = r\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\psi\right) - \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\psi) = r\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\psi\right) - \left[\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r}r\right)\psi + r\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\psi\right)\right] = -\psi[/tex]

Great thanks!

any ideas on the previous bit of my question?

Thanks!

Probably a similar reason. Try working it out again.

Hello, thank you for your questions.

To answer your first question, the extra factor of D/Dr comes from the fact that the momentum operator is acting on the radial coordinate, which is represented by r. This is why the derivative operator, D/Dr, appears in the expression for the orbital angular momentum, pr.

As for your second question, the commutation relation [r,pr]=-ih[r,D/Dr] comes from the commutation relation between the position and momentum operators, [x,p]=ih. By substituting r for x, and pr for p, we get [r,pr]=-ih[r,D/Dr]. And since [r,D/Dr]=1, the final result is -ih.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is orbital angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotation of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that is dependent on the mass, velocity, and position of the object.

2. How is orbital angular momentum related to kinetic energy?

Orbital angular momentum and kinetic energy are both conserved quantities in a closed system. This means that as one increases, the other must decrease in order to maintain the overall balance of the system. As an object gains more orbital angular momentum, its kinetic energy decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating orbital angular momentum?

The formula for orbital angular momentum is L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the object to the axis of rotation.

4. How does orbital angular momentum affect the motion of an object?

The direction and magnitude of orbital angular momentum affect the motion of an object. The direction of the angular momentum vector determines the axis around which the object will rotate, while the magnitude determines the speed of the rotation.

5. Can orbital angular momentum be zero?

Yes, orbital angular momentum can be zero if the object is not rotating around an axis. For example, if an object is moving in a straight line, its angular momentum would be zero as there is no rotation occurring.