Line integral of complex function

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a line integral in the complex plane without using Cauchy's integral theorems. The integral in question is \int (z^2 - z) dz between i + 1 and 0. Two specific paths are mentioned: a) along the line y=x and b) along the broken line x=0 from 0 to 1, and then y=i, from 0 to i. The conversation also mentions using a parameter to solve the integral, with the options being x, y, x+y, (x+y)/2, (x+y)/√2, and x^2 - 7y. The conversation ends with a request for an example of using a parameter
randybryan
I have to evaluate this line integral in the complex plane by direct integration, not using Cauchy's integral theorems, although if I see if a theorem applies, I can use it to check.

[tex]\int (z^2 - z) dz[/tex]

between i + 1 and 0

a) along the line y=x

b) along the broken line x=0 from 0 to 1, and then y=i, from 0 to i

I really have no idea how to tackle this

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi randybryan! :smile:

use a parameter :wink:

Can you be slightly more specific? As in, which parameter should I use?

any parameter will do :wink:

you choose :smile:

please just lend a guy a hand here. I have no idea what I'm doing :(

choose distance (along the line)

can you not just write down the example? Until the parameter is put into equation form, I have no idea how to use them. It's been a while since I've done parametric integration and all I remember is making x and y functions of the same variable. I'm assuming I do something similar here?

the problem is that the book doesn't give an answer, so I don't know what I'm working towards. The thing I'm having a real trouble getting my head around is the conversion of variables. If z= x + iy, then dz = dx + idy. If I try multiplying everything out by expanding the z^2 and z in terms of x and y, I get a very complicated integral in both dx and dy and then I don't know how to change the upper and lower limits.

your parameter could be x or y or x+y or (x+y)/2 or (x+y)/√2 or x2 - 7y or …

(basically it can be anything except a function of x-y, since that wouldn't change along the line y=x ! :wink:)

you choose :smile:

What is a line integral of a complex function?

A line integral of a complex function is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function along a specific path in the complex plane. It takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the function.

How is a line integral of a complex function different from a regular integral?

A line integral of a complex function is different from a regular integral because it takes into account the path of integration in the complex plane. In a regular integral, the path of integration is typically a straight line, while in a line integral of a complex function, the path can be any shape in the complex plane.

What is the significance of the Cauchy-Goursat theorem in relation to line integrals of complex functions?

The Cauchy-Goursat theorem states that the value of a line integral of a complex function is independent of the path along which it is evaluated, as long as the path does not cross any singularities of the function. This theorem is important in simplifying the calculation of line integrals of complex functions.

How are line integrals of complex functions used in real-world applications?

Line integrals of complex functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path, the circulation of a vector field, and the electric field around a charged wire, among other things.

What is the relationship between a line integral of a complex function and its antiderivative?

The relationship between a line integral of a complex function and its antiderivative is similar to that of a regular integral. The antiderivative of a complex function is found by taking the derivative of the original function with respect to the complex variable. The line integral of the complex function is then equivalent to the difference between the values of the antiderivative at the endpoints of the path of integration.