Linar Codes and cacluating the cosets

• Thread starter Rubik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, in order to calculate the cosets of a linear code generated by 01111, 11010, and 10100, you need to find all x+C, where x is an element of \mathbb{F}_2^5. To do this, you can complete the basis of C to a basis of \mathbb{F}_2^5 by finding 2 additional linearly independent vectors. Then, using the completed basis, you can easily determine the cosets of C. However, in the conversation, it is mentioned that the third vector in the code is incorrect, as it is not linearly independent. Therefore, a basis for the code would consist of {11010, 10101}.
Rubik
Given a liear code generated by 01111, 11010 and 10100 how do you calculate the cosets of C? Does this mean because it is generated by that matrix that it is not my acutal code C so am I suppose to find C then find my cosets or do I straight up use the generated matrix as it is equivalent to C?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's make some assumptions here: you're working in the field [tex]\mathbb{F}_2[/tex], and thus your codes are in [tex]\mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex].

So, C is just a subspace of [tex]\mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex], and you need to find all x+C, for [tex]x\in \mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex].

The way I would do this is to complete the basis of C to a basis of [tex]\mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex]. Thus 01111, 11010 and 10100 are already 3 linear independent vectors. You'll need to find 2 other vectors x and y such that [tex]\{01111,11010,10100,x,y\}[/tex] form a basis for [tex]\mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex].

It can then easily be shown that

[tex]\{(\alpha x+\beta y)+C~\vert~\alpha,\beta\in \mathbb{F}^2\}[/tex]

are the cosets of C. Thus there are 4 cosets!

Sorry yes those assumptions are correct but also I made a slight mistake in my third term my code C = {01111, 11010, 10101} does this now mean my vectors are no longer lineraly independent?

Hmm, I indeed fear those vectors are not linear independent, since 01111=11010+10101.
So a basis would consist of {11010,10101}. Now you can do the same thing. Add 3 vectors to complete this to a basis of [tex]\mathbb{F}_2^5[/tex]...

Okay thanks I will give it a go.. I am even more appreciative of this advice seeing as it is coming from a Pink Floyd fan! :D

Q: What are Linear Codes?

Linear Codes are a type of error-correcting code used in coding theory. They are mathematical structures that are used to encode and decode data in a way that allows for the detection and correction of errors that may occur during transmission.

Q: How are Linear Codes calculated?

Linear Codes are calculated using matrix operations. The generator matrix and parity check matrix are used to construct the code. The generator matrix is used to encode the data, while the parity check matrix is used to check for errors and correct them if necessary.

Q: What are cosets in Linear Codes?

Cosets are a fundamental concept in group theory and are applicable in the study of Linear Codes. In the context of Linear Codes, cosets refer to the different possible shifts of a code word, which can be used to detect and correct errors in the encoded data.

Q: How are cosets calculated in Linear Codes?

Cosets in Linear Codes are calculated by multiplying the code word by a shift vector. This results in a new code word that represents a different shift of the original code word. By calculating all possible cosets, errors in the encoded data can be detected and corrected.

Q: What is the significance of calculating cosets in Linear Codes?

Calculating cosets in Linear Codes is essential for error correction. By calculating all possible shifts of a code word, it is possible to detect and correct errors that may occur during transmission. This makes Linear Codes a powerful tool for error correction in communication systems.