Carbonyl Group, C=O bond lenght

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the C=O bond length is shortened due to resonance. The individual is hesitant to say that it is true because they are not sure about the role of resonance in this situation. It is clarified that the term "resonance" only applies in certain situations involving more than two atoms and the problem did not give an entire molecule. The individual ultimately concludes that the bond length is shorter due to the energy of double bonds and is proven correct on the exam.
Masschaos

Homework Statement

The Questions asks if the C=O bond length is shortened due to resonance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know that double bonds are stronger than a single bond and the strength outweighs the repulsion by the electrons. I'm just hesitant to say that its true because I'm not sure about the 'due to resonance' part. I feel like it is trying to trip me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, the term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_(chemistry)" in the context of chemistry only applies in some situations where there is more than two atoms. Did the problem give you an entire molecule?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, It said exactly that.
I had decided that the bond length was shorter, but not due to resonance. Due to the energy of double bonds and such, and I was correct according the the exam.

What is a carbonyl group?

A carbonyl group is a functional group composed of a carbon atom double bonded to an oxygen atom (C=O). It is commonly found in organic compounds, including aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, and esters.

How is the C=O bond length determined?

The C=O bond length is determined by the distance between the carbon and oxygen atoms in a molecule. It is typically measured in angstroms (Å) or picometers (pm) and can be affected by factors such as the type of bond (single, double, or triple) and the surrounding atoms in the molecule.

What is the average bond length for a C=O bond?

The average bond length for a C=O bond is approximately 1.20 Å or 120 pm. However, this can vary depending on the specific molecule and its chemical environment.

How does the C=O bond length affect the properties of a molecule?

The C=O bond length can affect the polarity and reactivity of a molecule. A shorter bond length indicates a stronger bond, making the molecule more stable and less reactive. A longer bond length can make the molecule more reactive and less stable.

What factors can influence the C=O bond length?

The C=O bond length can be influenced by the type of atoms bonded to the carbon and oxygen atoms, the hybridization of the carbon atom, and the presence of any nearby functional groups. Bond length can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.