Why are users' names struck through on forums?

• Thread starter 1mmorta1
  • Start date
In summary, a strike through a user's name indicates that they have been banned from the forum, either permanently or temporarily. This could be due to various reasons, such as being a sock puppet or violating forum rules. It is important to read and follow the rules to avoid being banned. Sometimes, users may be banned for reasons that are not apparent, but this does not mean there was no reason for the ban. Insulting other members or violating forum rules can result in a quick ban. It is recommended to read the forum rules to understand the guidelines for participation. The avatar of a user who has been banned may also be removed.
1mmorta1
What does a strike through a users name indicate? Are these sock puppets that have been deleted?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that member has been banned, either permanently or temporarily. It could have been a sock puppet, yes, because it's against the rules to do that. But there are other reasons to be banned, too.

Okay, I figured it was probably someone being banned. I also noticed some banned users that appeared to have been banned for no reason, this made me wonder if it is indicative of a puppet. Thank you for your help, I'm relatively new and want to understand everything quickly.

ps what an interesting avatar, green lady... ;)

Maybe dig through the 'rules' under the 'i' of physics forums on top of the page. For instance, spammers, rude people, and stubborn kids who believe crackpots, are routinely banned, it seems. Evidence can be deleted.

the avatar

1mmorta1 said:
banned for no reason

Just because you don't see a reason, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Someone insulting other members will get banned rather fast, for obvious reasons posts with insults are deleted as they are spotted or reported.

1. What does it mean to "strike through" a user's name?

"Striking through" a user's name typically refers to crossing out or drawing a line through their name on a list or document. This is often done to indicate that the user is no longer relevant or involved in a particular situation.

2. Why would a user's name be struck through?

A user's name may be struck through for a variety of reasons, such as being banned or blocked from a website or community, no longer being a member of a group or team, or being deceased.

3. Can a user's name be un-struck through?

In most cases, yes. If a user has been banned or blocked, they may be able to appeal or have their ban lifted. If a user is no longer a member of a group or team, they may be able to rejoin or have their name added back to the list. However, if a user is deceased, their name will likely remain struck through.

4. Is striking through a user's name permanent?

It depends on the situation. If a user has been banned or blocked, their name may remain struck through permanently. However, if a user is no longer a member of a group or team, their name may be un-struck through if they rejoin or are added back to the list.

5. Are there any other terms for striking through a user's name?

Yes, there are various terms used to describe striking through a user's name, such as "crossing out," "drawing a line through," "marking out," or "canceling." The specific term used may vary depending on the context and purpose of the strike through.