Charge in circuit, capacitor - explaining current

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with a battery and three capacitors. The question asks how many electrons pass through the wire at four labeled points, a through d. The magnitude of the charge that accrues on the equivalent capacitor C123 is equal to the magnitude of the charge that passes through point a. However, there is no charge buildup at points b, c, and d. The question is asking for the net charge that flows through those points. The capacitors C1 and C2 are in parallel and equivalent to a single capacitor, which is in series with C3. To find the charge in these arrangements, one must first find the voltage of C12 and then divide the charge by the charge of an electron to get
mm2424

Homework Statement

I've attached a photo of a circuit with a battery and three capacitors. I have a qualitative question about the problem. In the diagram, four points (a through d) have been labeled. The problem asks how many electrons pass through the wire at those points. Is it ok to make the following statements about each point? I'm having a hard time explaining what I think happens, which I think is indicative of my lack of understanding of this topic.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on the equivalent capacitor C123 is equal to the magnitude of the charge that passes through point a.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on capacitor C1 is equal to the magnitude of that charge at point b, since it's right after the capacitor.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on capacitor C2 is equal to the magnitude of the charge at point c, since it's right after that capacitor.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on point d is equal to the magnitude of the charge that accrues on C3, since the charge has to pass through d to get to C3.

Some of my wording may be really awkward...If it is, please don't hesitate to call me out on it. My wording above is the best way I explain how I currently conceive of charge, capacitance, etc...if it's off, my understanding is probably off too!

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• capacitance.jpg
    capacitance.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
mm2424 said:
- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on capacitor C1 is equal to the magnitude of that charge at point b, since it's right after the capacitor.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on capacitor C2 is equal to the magnitude of the charge at point c, since it's right after that capacitor.

- The magnitude of the charge that accrues on point d is equal to the magnitude of the charge that accrues on C3, since the charge has to pass through d to get to C3.
These aren't quite right. There is no charge buildup at points b,c and d. The problem asks how many electrons pass through the wire at those points. So they are asking for the net charge which flows through those sections of the circuit.

Thanks for your reply. I'm still super confused with this material and apologize for the awkward wording. I see that there is no charge buildup at points a through d. However, is it ok to say that the magnitude of the moving charge is the same as the magnitude of the charges that accrue on the nearest capacitors (or the equivalent capacitor in the case of a)? The answer key for point b, for example, shows that I should find the charge on C1 (by first finding the voltage of C12). That charge is then divided by the charge of an electron to get the number of electrons passing through b.

I can't visualize the justification for the math without saying that the charge at the labeled locations must be equal to the charge at the nearby capacitors. Is that not right? Sorry again if I'm going around in circles.

Can you see that C1 and C2 are in parallel so are equivalent to a single capacitor of (C1+C2)
This equivalent capacitor is in series with C3
Do you know how to find the charge in these arrangements of capacitors.
Asking for the number of electrons that pass each point is asking you for how much charge passes each point to charge up the capacitors.

mm2424 said:
I can't visualize the justification for the math without saying that the charge at the labeled locations must be equal to the charge at the nearby capacitors. Is that not right? Sorry again if I'm going around in circles.

the electrons pass through the point b. Then they end up on the capacitor. So what can you say about the total number of electrons that pass through b compared to the number of electrons which have built up on the capacitor?

1. What is charge in a circuit?

Charge in a circuit refers to the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, through a closed path. This movement of charge is responsible for the flow of current in a circuit.

2. How is charge related to current in a circuit?

Charge and current are directly related in a circuit. The amount of charge that flows through a circuit per unit time is defined as current. This means that the more charge that flows, the higher the current will be.

3. What is a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it stores charge on its plates.

4. How does a capacitor affect current in a circuit?

A capacitor affects the flow of current in a circuit by storing and releasing charge. When a capacitor is fully charged, it blocks the flow of current. However, when the capacitor discharges, it allows current to flow through the circuit.

5. Can you explain how a capacitor works in a circuit?

A capacitor works by storing charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied, electrons from one plate are attracted to the other plate, causing a build-up of charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which acts as a barrier to the flow of current. When the capacitor discharges, the stored charge is released, allowing current to flow through the circuit.