DSMC and U-system of Masaru Usami

• Thread starter Noh-hoon Lee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a thesis by Usami, a Japanese professor, on using DSMC at the continuum region. The thesis presents a new collision model that shows promising results in reducing the computational expense of DSMC. However, the speaker is unable to find any reviews or applications of this model by other authors. They seek advice on whether they can reference Usami's thesis in their own work.
Noh-hoon Lee
Please understand my low command of English.

I'm now reading the thesis about DSMC, its author is Usami, Japanese and professor.

I'm wondering that, he develop the very powerful method to use the DSMC at continuum region. DSMC has problem of high computational expense. But Usami develop the new collision model and its result was excelent. Result shows that cell size can be lengthend to 15 times of mean free path.

But despite his achivement, I can't find its review or application thesis to validate the model which was written by other author,not Usami.

So, does it have some kind of problem? If it have, what kind of problem?I want to know, can I refer his thesis to my thesis?

please help.

His thesis was announced at Rarefied Gas Dynamics Symposium.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that his work has not been reviewed or applied by other authors yet. This does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the thesis. However, it is important to do your own research to make sure that the model and results are valid and reliable before citing in your own thesis. You may want to contact Usami directly to discuss his research and find out if there have been any attempts to validate his model.

1. What is DSMC?

DSMC stands for Direct Simulation Monte Carlo and it is a computational method used to simulate the behavior of gas molecules in rarefied gas flows. It is based on the Monte Carlo method, which is a statistical technique for solving complex problems.

2. How does DSMC work?

In DSMC, the gas flow is divided into small computational cells and the behavior of individual gas molecules is simulated using statistical methods. The molecules are assumed to be point particles and their motions are governed by the laws of classical mechanics. The collisions between molecules are modeled using probability distributions and the results are used to calculate macroscopic flow variables such as pressure and temperature.

3. What is the U-system of Masaru Usami?

The U-system is a set of equations developed by Japanese scientist Masaru Usami for describing the behavior of gas molecules in rarefied gas flows. It is an alternative to the traditional Navier-Stokes equations, which are used for describing gas flows in the continuum regime. The U-system is particularly useful for simulating flows at low pressures or high altitudes where the gas molecules are widely spaced.

4. What are the advantages of using DSMC and the U-system?

DSMC and the U-system offer several advantages over traditional continuum-based methods for simulating rarefied gas flows. They are more accurate at low pressures and can handle a wider range of flow conditions, including highly rarefied flows. They also require less computational resources, making them a more efficient option for simulating complex gas flows.

5. What are some applications of DSMC and the U-system?

DSMC and the U-system have a wide range of applications in the field of aerospace engineering, such as simulating the flow of gases around spacecraft and in hypersonic wind tunnels. They are also used in the design of micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) and in the development of advanced propulsion systems. Additionally, DSMC and the U-system have applications in atmospheric science, plasma physics, and other fields where rarefied gas flows are important.