Where Can I Find Resources for Learning Engineering Graphics and Animation?

In summary, this guy is trying to learn how to make animations using 3DMax. He is not familiar with the program, but he knows some key terms and how to import and export stills.
heman
Hi ,

i did not where to ask this question but i am asking it here . Pls suggest me a forum dealing with Engineering graphics as i am having lot of problem in understanding and visualising it or any nice online store dealing with this...as the pf hasn't got any section devoted to engineering graphics.

Any help would be deeply appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
Guys pls common...any kind of help will be appreciated...i am really not able to understand engineering graphics..pls explain to me how to get into it.

Just post a specific problem here and see if someone can help.

Its even diffficult to post a graphics problem..

It's just as difficult to post a graphics problem here as any other forum!

The guys in the engineering forum will do their best to answer any specific questions.

what is enginnering graphics? do you mean computer graphics? or 3D environmental Development?

Yeah, just throw it in here if possible, there is lots of visualization, modeling etc. expertise on board.

neurocomp2003 said:
what is enginnering graphics? do you mean computer graphics? or 3D environmental Development?

subject dealing with visualisation of objects,Prespective views,i can just say we try to show 3d on 2d...and many many things come under this..Quite interesting too

ah with that definition i know what it is...The term "engineering Graphics" is new to me
your talking about things liek VTK, AUtocad, VRML?

Yeah we just use the terms computer graphics, 3D graphics or 3D environmental design

Autocad, Solidworks, Rhino, MathCad, TurboCad and SolidEdge are all "engineering graphics" programs. There are Yahoo groups that discuss all these applications, and some Usenet groups as well. The company websites can supply quite a lot of info. Most of these applications have time-limited demos that cad be downloaded and tried as well.
Best of luck

Can somebody suggest how to learn making animations on own...there is a requirement of 3ds max which i have installed...is there a way to learn by own??
Thx for urs suggestions..I am highly grateful

I'm not familiar with 3D Studio Max, but one of my best friends taught it himself over a few weeks. He's a bit of a dunce, so it should be do-able.

...mmm what are you talking about...to make animations in 3Dsmax? or to code animations? pick up a standard book from the bookstore(preferably the one named "bible"(or browse thorugh it) look up the key words like keyframes, autokey, and i think interpolation(or spline)
3Dsmax is like claymation where you make stills of frames and put them together...but the advantage of 3Dsmax/softimage/maya is that between frames they allow you to interpolate(follow-spline) to create smoother animations.
If your going to code animations then you need to learn about keyframes/interpolations and splines from teh programming standpoint.

heman said:
Can somebody suggest how to learn making animations on own...there is a requirement of 3ds max which i have installed...is there a way to learn by own??

Just install your 3DMax and dive in. See if you canfind the manual while you're at it. 3D CGI programs are fairly intuitive once you learn the tools offered in a specific program. You won't get anywhere asking questions on here. Its best to, like I said, dive in and learn...trial by fire!

heman said:

I know 3ds Max 7! (Pro/E, Solidworks, and Inventor also) To make animations in Max you could either keyframe the individual frames or use AutoKey. When autokey is selected your frame track turns red. That means it's hot. Any changes you make to your scene/model/camera will be recorded on that frame. When you move the slider to the next increment of time (say 30 frames later or 1 sec) and then change the scene again, you have just recorded your next major motion in your animation. Now if you press the playback button next to "autokey" you will see that max 'figures out' the frames in between the two changes you made in your scene. i.e. If you made a model clap his hands and at frame zero his hands were by his side then at frame 100 his hands were together, Max would determine the in-between-motions needed to make that happen.

Also, to make an animation that will play in media play, you can render the individual frames...under the Render tab, make sure they go to the folder of your choice. Then bust out Adobe Premier Pro, go to File<Import<click on the first frame from your folder<click numbered stills, then in the Project window, drop and drag the stills into the video track. Add music if you like, then go to file<export<movie< choose .avi...and bam! your set!

Any other questions, just ask

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the Forum on Engineering Graphics?

The Forum on Engineering Graphics is a platform for engineers, designers, and other professionals to discuss and share ideas, techniques, and advancements in the field of engineering graphics. It serves as a forum for collaboration, learning, and networking.

2. Who can participate in the Forum on Engineering Graphics?

The Forum on Engineering Graphics is open to anyone with an interest in engineering graphics, including engineers, designers, researchers, students, and other professionals. All levels of expertise are welcome to participate in discussions and contribute to the community.

3. What topics are typically discussed in the Forum on Engineering Graphics?

The topics discussed in the Forum on Engineering Graphics can vary, but some common themes include new software and tools, best practices for drafting and design, industry trends and advancements, and challenges facing the field of engineering graphics. Participants are also welcome to suggest and initiate new discussion topics.

4. How can I join the Forum on Engineering Graphics?

To join the Forum on Engineering Graphics, simply create an account on the forum's website and start participating in discussions. You can also follow the forum on social media for updates and announcements on upcoming events and discussions.

5. Are there any fees associated with joining the Forum on Engineering Graphics?

No, there are no fees associated with joining the Forum on Engineering Graphics. It is a free platform for professionals to share knowledge and collaborate in the field of engineering graphics. However, some events or workshops organized by the forum may require registration fees.