Which Latitude has the Smallest Radius?

In summary, the smaller the latitude, the smaller its radius on a globe of the earth. This is because each latitude is a circle, and the farther it is from the equator (at 0°), the smaller the circle and radius will be. Therefore, 40°30'13" has a smaller radius than 30°40'13" because it has a greater degree. This is also due to the elliptical shape of the earth, where the distance to the equator is greatest at 0°.
darshanpatel
°

Homework Statement

I need to find which latitude has the smallest radius.

40°30'13" or 30°40'13"

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted from DMS to degree and got:

40°30'13" ≈ 40.72° and 30°40'13" ≈ 30.88°

Since the Earth is not a perfect sphere, I said that 40°30'13" has the smallest radius because it is farthest to the equater, meaning the farther you are to the equater, the smaller the radius.

I don't know if I did this right because I think it is means that each latitude has it's own circle, but I don't know how to get circles from latitudes.

Am I correct in my assumption that 40°30'13" is smaller because it is farther from the the equater?

*Knowing that at 0° the distance to the equater is greatest because of the elliptical form*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:
°

Homework Statement

I need to find which latitude has the smallest radius.

40°30'13" or 30°40'13"

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted from DMS to degree and got:

40°30'13" ≈ 40.72° and 30°40'13" ≈ 30.88°

Since the Earth is not a perfect sphere, I said that 40°30'13" has the smallest radius because it is farthest to the equater, meaning the farther you are to the equater, the smaller the radius.

I don't know if I did this right because I think it is means that each latitude has it's own circle, but I don't know how to get circles from latitudes.

Am I correct in my assumption that 40°30'13" is smaller because it is farther from the the equater?

*Knowing that at 0° the distance to the equater is greatest because of the elliptical form*

On a globe of the earth, the latitudes are circles that are "parallel," and run east and west The longitudinal meridians run north and south and are also circles that intersect at the north and south poles.

The farther the latitude is from the equator, the smaller the circle, and hence, the smaller its radius.

Just for clarification, the equator is at 0° so the 40°30'13" has a smaller radius because it has a greater degree then 30°40'13"?

darshanpatel said:
Just for clarification, the equator is at 0° so the 40°30'13" has a smaller radius because it has a greater degree then 30°40'13"?

I had to look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latitude

So yes, the equator is 0 degrees, and the + direction goes north, and the - latitude direction goes south. Good job!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks!

1. What is the definition of latitude?

Latitude is the angular distance of a place north or south of the earth's equator, measured in degrees.

2. How is the radius of a latitude determined?

The radius of a latitude is determined by measuring the distance from the center of the earth to the point on the earth's surface where the latitude line intersects.

3. Is the radius of a latitude constant or does it vary?

The radius of a latitude varies depending on the latitude line being measured. It is smallest at the poles and increases as it gets closer to the equator.

4. Which latitude has the smallest radius?

The latitude with the smallest radius is the North and South poles, which have a radius of approximately 6,371 kilometers.

5. How does the radius of a latitude affect the shape of the earth?

The varying radius of latitudes contributes to the ellipsoidal shape of the earth, as opposed to a perfect sphere. The flattening at the poles and bulging at the equator is due to the difference in radius between latitudes.