Physical Chemistry without Previous Chem Experience

In summary, the person is wondering if it's a good idea to take P Chem without having taken any chemistry at the college level. They have a strong high school chemistry background and are currently taking advanced physics courses. They are interested in thermodynamics and want to see the quantum world from a chemist's perspective. The expert suggests that they should be able to handle the standard senior/junior level P Chem sequence and encourages them to pursue their interest in the subject.
YAHA
Is it a good idea to take P Chem without taking any chemistry at college level? My high school had a strong chemistry program (we did organic in high school) but I haven't done any Chemistry in college. I am currently taking Quantum Mech 2, and will be taking Thermal Physics and Condensed Matter Physics next semester. Should I be able to handle the standard senior/junior level P Chem sequence?

I am doing it because of my interest in thermodynamics and desire to see how the quantum world looks from the chemists' point of view.

Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost assuredly fine.

1. What is physical chemistry without previous chem experience?

Physical chemistry without previous chem experience refers to the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level, without having any prior background in chemistry. It involves the application of physics principles to understand and explain chemical phenomena, such as the structure and properties of molecules, chemical reactions, and thermodynamics.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to study physical chemistry without previous chem experience?

While a strong math background is helpful in understanding physical chemistry concepts, it is not a requirement. Basic algebra, geometry, and calculus are typically sufficient for introductory physical chemistry courses. However, as you progress to more advanced topics, a stronger foundation in math may be necessary.

3. What topics are covered in a physical chemistry course without previous chem experience?

The topics covered in a physical chemistry course without previous chem experience may vary, but typically include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. These topics help students understand the fundamental principles of chemical reactions and their underlying physical mechanisms.

4. Is physical chemistry without previous chem experience a difficult subject?

Physical chemistry can be a challenging subject, especially for those without a background in chemistry. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can succeed in this subject.

5. What are some real-world applications of physical chemistry without previous chem experience?

Physical chemistry has many applications in various fields, such as material science, pharmaceuticals, and environmental science. For example, physical chemists may study the behavior of molecules in different environments to develop new drugs or understand the impact of pollutants on the environment. They can also use physical chemistry principles to design new materials with specific properties for various industrial applications.