New Words Thread: Enrich English & Generate Traffic

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, this thread is about creating new English words, and also about generating traffic for a website.
Andre
This thread has two objectives, to enrich the English language wit a lot of new words and "generate traffic" for PF (see this thread.)

I start:

Decaninetion (noun) To make an area free of dogs. I'm decanineted: my dog has died.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
to enrich the English language wit a lot of new words

I start:

Decaninetion (noun) To make an area free of dogs. I'm decanineted: my dog has died.

You had already started in your introduction. Although 'wit' is an English word, I've never seen it used in that context before. :tongue:

I would like to borrow from your language to enrich ours; stopptoofrumfloppen. (That's how you say "bra" in Dutch, right?)

Last edited:
Do they have to be new words, as in words that have been recently created? Or 'new' as in new to most people who hear them?

leroyjenkens said:
Do they have to be new words

I took it to mean that we should make them up.

Danger said:
stopptoofrumfloppen. (That's how you say "bra" in Dutch, right?)

Almost, that would be 'bustehouder', but close. Nicely done

The idea is that you google your new word first to find no result and then just create it. Something like:

A Prohypafa (noun) is a procedural hyperlinked patch to facilitate disk fragmentation whilst reflecting boolean broadband servicing. And it can bark too.

Andre said:
Almost, that would be 'bustehouder', but close. Nicely done

I have never ever heard somebody say "bustehouder"... Maybe it's a netherlands thing...

Google is your friend: Bustehouder

Busterholder (noun) a police officer who manages to capture a crook, whilst in the act of crime.

Andre said:
Google is your friend: Bustehouder

Of course I know the word. I'm just saying I've never heard anybody say bustehouder when they refer to a bra. Even wikipedia takes the abbreviation instead of the full word :biggrin:

Did you try a youtube search with the word?

Bustguard or Bustguardian (noun) A watchman who has to make sure that everybody gets drunk?

Danger said:
You had already started in your introduction. Although 'wit' is an English word, I've never seen it used in that context before. :tongue:

Since you enjoy that so much, I refrained from correcting the typo, maybe it attracks typo-squatters

Come on all, we can do better: see how easy it is:

bust-typology: the refutation of the Briggs Meyers type indicators.

Andre said:
Since you enjoy that so much, I refrained from correcting the typo

Thanks. Doing so would have made my response look pretty stupid.
I'm going to be a limited participant in this, because the idea of using a search engine takes all of the fun out of it for me. Going purely by the sound of a word or linguistic associations is what gets my amusement factor percolating. I'll certainly continue to hang out here, but I'm just going to post things as they occur to me and you can Google them yourselves if you want to.
It's a good idea for a thread.

Thanks, Danger

Fosethimocleco : Forget (the) search engine: think monitor cleaning from coffee.

Andre said:
Fosethimocleco : Forget (the) search engine: think monitor cleaning from coffee.

:rofl:

Blastironed.*

*Damned straight...

:approve: That's the idea. Anyway

Croldsourcing is the conduct of actively encouraging old experienced people to diagnose your problems and discuss them in an open exchange of information known as glastnost. pro deo of course. Advisory agencies are mucho expensive.

Hey, the thread isn't always funny.

The last new word that made the post show up in google was "stopptoofrumfloppen" None of the later posts have shown up for me yet.

Maybe that this is the result of the move?

Some Google script could have noticed that this page generates a lot of words not present anywhere else.

Googlexclusion is the effect that google did not include the latest new words here in their search engine any more.

mfb said:
Googlexclusion is the effect that google did not include the latest new words here in their search engine any more.

gah! I had it when we get Googlexclused!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Googlexclused!
Is that a modification of Googlexcluded? :tongue2:

The words are showing up now. Maybe there are several types of crawlers, the newsseekers which are fast but go only skin deep and the deep spiders who go deeper but take a lot more time.

Pandaphobia the fear to be hit by google panda changes.

Notice that this thread was active from 19-21 April

Here is the Alexa score:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/Alexa-21-apr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has 488 hits - completely negligible. Looks like Pandaphobia, Googlexclusion and so on are not frequent searches.

Andre said:
This thread has two objectives, to enrich the English language wit a lot of new words and "generate traffic" for PF (see this thread.)

I start:

This reminds me of Indonesian. In that language there is a very regular system to convert any word to a noun, verb, or abstract noun.

My word is a real word, indefatigable. The British had a battleship with that name. I think it should refer to an area of the body with persistent cellulite.

mfb said:
This thread has 488 hits - completely negligible. Looks like Pandaphobia, Googlexclusion and so on are not frequent searches.

The idea is that some hits are from google spiderbots, who may analyse the content and may decide to upgrade PF in the google searche engine, with as a result more hits for other threads in PF.

Why should google improve the site ranking, if the site has obscure words? That would just improve the rating of pages with bad spelling, lolcat texts and similar sites without proper english.

ImaLooser said:
I think it should refer to an area of the body with persistent cellulite.

:rofl:

Andre said:
The idea is that some hits are from google spiderbots, who may analyse the content and may decide to upgrade PF in the google searche engine, with as a result more hits for other threads in PF.

I don't understand this logic.

Obsession with rules is epidemic these days.

I blame it on computers, but really it's been around since days of mythology.
The word "Procrustean" comes from the myth of "Procrustes", a strange character who cut off the feet of his overnight visitors so they'd fit the small bed in his guest room.

Even Hamlet enumerated in his slings and arrows " The insolence of office".

I propose "Procusteopathic " as a new medical term for the causal factor of dementia caused by dealing with Windows or insurance claims offices;

and "Procrusteopathic Proctitis" for the resulting condition.

jim hardy said:
Obsession with rules is epidemic these days.

I blame it on computers, but really it's been around since days of mythology.
The word "Procrustean" comes from the myth of "Procrustes", a strange character who cut off the feet of his overnight visitors so they'd fit the small bed in his guest room.

Even Hamlet enumerated in his slings and arrows " The insolence of office".

I propose "Procusteopathic " as a new medical term for the causal factor of dementia caused by dealing with Windows or insurance claims offices;

and "Procrusteopathic Proctitis" for the resulting condition.

Great!

cristo said:
I don't understand this logic.

I'm sorry if was so blurry. It's really a Panda-monium

Every site has a ranking in which the google searches show up. If you google popular words, better sites are mentioned higher in the search than worse sites.

It appears that google panda continuously crawls around the sites to monitor contents and analyse it on orginality, readability and news value. It downgrades sites that contains mostly copied material, a lot of ads or incomprehenseable non appealing jargon. It favors sites with original contents and things that appeal to the general public.

So if you have a lot of unique appealing stuff with news value, panda will rate you higher. This means evidently that your site will show up higher for ALL searches, not only for the 'new words'.

Edit: I could have quoted wikipedia there but that would not add value points for PF

Last edited:
Pandemonium: An element that emits a radiation that corrupts and perverts everything in which it comes in contact.

Bedlam: The ore from which pandemonium may be extracted.

Andre said:
It appears that google panda continuously crawls around the sites

Google bots crawl the web since Google started as a search engine. Panda is a codename for a new algorithm (or perhaps an upgrade to the old algorithm) used to analyze data collected by bots. Stating "google panda crawls the web" doesn't make much sense.

Panda was one of zillions algo updates done by Google in the last few years (see for example http://www.sistrix.co.uk/google-updates/). The "new, fresh, original content" mantra is repeated by Google since at least 2005 (that's when I read it for the first time). Plenty of examples that it is only part of the reality, and following the idea is not a guarantee of anything. At the same time PF as a forum is a source of a lot of new content every day, one thread is not going to change anything.

Andre said:
It appears that google panda continuously crawls around the sites to monitor contents and analyse it on orginality, readability and news value. It downgrades sites that contains mostly copied material, a lot of ads or incomprehenseable non appealing jargon. It favors sites with original contents and things that appeal to the general public.
Where is the difference between original contents (here: words not appearing anywhere else) and incomprehenseable jargon?

mfb said:
Where is the difference between original contents (here: words not appearing anywhere else) and incomprehenseable jargon?

No orginal contents means sentences not found anywhere else, be it directly copied or reworked. This sentence is an original content New words appear interesting but it was only a supposition, appealing to the public except Turbo :wink: . Here is an idea what Panda looks for: More guidance on building high quality sites

Incomprehensible jargon is obviously still about existing words that are not appealing for the general public. Or maybe it does:

Last edited by a moderator:
lyool : A person who is either a liar or a fool.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the "New Words Thread"?</h2><p>The purpose of the "New Words Thread" is to create a platform for individuals to share and learn new words in the English language. It also serves as a way to generate traffic and engage with others who have a passion for expanding their vocabulary.</p><h2>2. How can I contribute to the "New Words Thread"?</h2><p>You can contribute to the "New Words Thread" by sharing new words that you have come across and their definitions. You can also engage with others by commenting on their submissions and discussing the meanings and usage of the words.</p><h2>3. Is there a specific format for submitting new words?</h2><p>No, there is no specific format for submitting new words. However, it is recommended to include the word, its definition, and an example sentence to provide context for the word's usage.</p><h2>4. Can I share words from other languages in the "New Words Thread"?</h2><p>Yes, you can share words from other languages in the "New Words Thread". However, it is important to provide the English translation and definition of the word as well.</p><h2>5. How can I use the "New Words Thread" to improve my English skills?</h2><p>The "New Words Thread" can help improve your English skills by exposing you to new words and their meanings. By engaging with others and discussing the words, you can also learn how to use them in context and expand your vocabulary. Additionally, reading and writing in English on the thread can also help improve your language skills.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the "New Words Thread"?

The purpose of the "New Words Thread" is to create a platform for individuals to share and learn new words in the English language. It also serves as a way to generate traffic and engage with others who have a passion for expanding their vocabulary.

2. How can I contribute to the "New Words Thread"?

You can contribute to the "New Words Thread" by sharing new words that you have come across and their definitions. You can also engage with others by commenting on their submissions and discussing the meanings and usage of the words.

3. Is there a specific format for submitting new words?

No, there is no specific format for submitting new words. However, it is recommended to include the word, its definition, and an example sentence to provide context for the word's usage.

4. Can I share words from other languages in the "New Words Thread"?

Yes, you can share words from other languages in the "New Words Thread". However, it is important to provide the English translation and definition of the word as well.

5. How can I use the "New Words Thread" to improve my English skills?

The "New Words Thread" can help improve your English skills by exposing you to new words and their meanings. By engaging with others and discussing the words, you can also learn how to use them in context and expand your vocabulary. Additionally, reading and writing in English on the thread can also help improve your language skills.