How can you measure 4 litres with two buckets and a tap?

• Thread starter mia5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, there are multiple solutions to measuring out 4 litres of water with two buckets of 3 litres and 5 litres, one involving filling and decanting the buckets in a specific order, and another using decanting principles.
mia5
You have got two buckets of capacity 3 litres and 5 litres each and a tap. How will you exactly measure out 4 litres of water with the help of two buckets and the tap.

Physics news on Phys.org
You fill up 5 liter one from the tap. Then fill up 3 liter one from 5 liter one. Then empty the 3 liter one. Then split what's left in 5 liter in two buckets. Then fill up the 3 liter one again and pour it into the 5 liter one.

1) fill the 5 liter and pour into the 3 liter until full leaving 2 liter in the 5 liter bucket.

2) empty the 3 lt bucket and pour the remaining 2 lt from the 5 lt bucket into the 3lt.

So the 3 liter bucket now has 2 liters in it.

3) Lastly fill the 5 liter completely and then pour it into the 3liter bucket until the 3 liter bucket is full.

Since the 3 liter bucket had 2 liters in it then you've out 1 liter so that what remains in the 5 liter bucket is 4 liters.

Likes davenn
I'd calculate the height of 4 litres in the confines of the 5 litre bucket, then draw a line at that point and fill to there using the 3 litre bucket as a source.

Danger said:
I'd calculate the height of 4 litres in the confines of the 5 litre bucket, then draw a line at that point and fill to there using the 3 litre bucket as a source.

so we have the OP solution: ask someone on PF

and the caveat emptor solution: kholdstare's split the difference

and the greek solution (compass and straight edge only): mine

and the high-tech engineering solution: Danger's

we still need a management solution and a CEO solution to complete the picture.

Of course VP Biden could step in at anytime with a shotgun solution but we won't consider that option for now :-)

jedishrfu said:
so we have the OP solution: ask someone on PF

and the caveat emptor solution: kholdstare's split the difference

and the greek solution (compass and straight edge only): mine

and the high-tech engineering solution: Danger's

we still need a management solution and a CEO solution to complete the picture.

Of course VP Biden could step in at anytime with a shotgun solution but we won't consider that option for now :-)

Management solution: Set up an interdepartmental cross-disciplinary committee with broad terms of reference to study the problem. Outsourcing is an acceptable option, preferably to a third world country where buckets, natural water sources and cheap labour are already plentiful, obviating the need for a budget to procure these.

CEO solution: CEO admits to not being able to solve the problem, and not even having foreseen that such a problem might exist. Therefore, regretfully, the CEO immediately resigns, accepting the previously agreed-upon golden parachute to the tune of $50 million USD and another plum CEO job offer in a rival company.

I will mention two caveats to my answer.
1) It was partially a management response because there is no need for the 3-litre bucket, but since it's there it must be used.
2) It was purely theoretical because I have absolutely no idea of how to do the math.

The Apple solution is to insist the 3 liter bucket is good enough and if you aren't getting 4 liters of water from it it's because you're holding it wrong

Office_Shredder said:
The Apple solution is to insist the 3 liter bucket is good enough and if you aren't getting 4 liters of water from it it's because you're holding it wrong

They also insist that you fill it only with AppleTM water otherwise all warranty coverage on the bucket is void.

Office_Shredder said:
if you aren't getting 4 liters of water from it

But that won't happen.

Curious3141 said:
They also insist that you fill it only with AppleTM water otherwise all warranty coverage on the bucket is void.

Using a special hose attachment that splits the stream and shapes it into two hexagons because, for whatever reason, a standard "circular" stream isn't as efficient.

ImATrackMan said:
Using a special hose attachment that splits the stream and shapes it into two hexagons because, for whatever reason, a standard "circular" stream isn't as efficient.

Do I see a patent for a spin-off from condom technology in your future? Maybe a urinal-based game of some sort?

mia5 said:
You have got two buckets of capacity 3 litres and 5 litres each and a tap. How will you exactly measure out 4 litres of water with the help of two buckets and the tap.

This may prove to be useful in visualising your answer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ64IR2bz5o

Charmar said:
This may prove to be useful in visualising your answer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ64IR2bz5o

I thought of this movie too - I remember this scene very well (along with the Saint Ives riddle).

There are multiple solutions, of course. I think I found 3.

Danger said:
Do I see a patent for a spin-off from condom technology in your future? Maybe a urinal-based game of some sort?

pffft... no! Whatever could have made you think that? :uhh:

ImATrackMan said:
Whatever could have made you think that? :uhh:
Nothing in particular. My mind wanders sometimes...

Also, one solution.

Fill the five liter bucket completely

Pour out three liters (where else?)

Fill the 5 liter bucket to twice the level of the remaining water (assuming it's perfectly cylindrical).

That's pretty clever, Mr. Trackman, but... have you ever seen a cylindrical bucket?
My uncle owned a bucket store... I had to make buckets every day after school... we made wood buckets and steel buckets and I even made one out of a dead badger once... and I got to tell you that not a single one of 'em was cylindrical.

Danger said:
That's pretty clever, Mr. Trackman, but... have you ever seen a cylindrical bucket?
My uncle owned a bucket store... I had to make buckets every day after school... we made wood buckets and steel buckets and I even made one out of a dead badger once... and I got to tell you that not a single one of 'em was cylindrical.

The internal (or external, for that matter) shape of the bucket was never specified, though! :biggrin:

Oh, sure... get technical about it... :rolleyes:

fill up the 3 liter bucket, pour it into the 5 liter bucket, then fill up the 3 liter bucket again and pour it into the 5 liter until the 5 liter bucket is full. Empty the 5 liter bucket pour the remaining 1 liter from the 3 liter bucket and then fill the 3 liter bucket and fill the 5 liter bucket, the water in the 4 liter bucket is exactly 4 liters.

Mathematician's Answer:

Using decanting principles.
As this is a well-understood method for solving such a problem, the details are left to the reader.

WCOLtd said:
fill up the 3 liter bucket, pour it into the 5 liter bucket, then fill up the 3 liter bucket again and pour it into the 5 liter until the 5 liter bucket is full. Empty the 5 liter bucket pour the remaining 1 liter from the 3 liter bucket and then fill the 3 liter bucket and fill the 5 liter bucket, the water in the 4 liter bucket is exactly 4 liters.

There is no 4 litre bucket ! :rolleyes:

davenn said:
There is no 4 litre bucket ! :rolleyes:
Well I meant to say 5 liter bucket.

1. How do I determine the measurement of 4 litres using two buckets and a tap?

To measure 4 litres, you will need one bucket with a capacity of at least 4 litres and another bucket with a capacity of at least 1 litre. Place the larger bucket under the tap and fill it up until it reaches the brim. Then, pour the water into the smaller bucket. This will leave you with 1 litre of water in the larger bucket. Repeat this process three more times and you will have a total of 4 litres in the smaller bucket.

2. Why do I need two buckets and a tap to measure 4 litres?

Using two buckets and a tap allows for a more accurate measurement of 4 litres. If you were to use only one bucket, you would have to measure out 4 litres multiple times, which could lead to slight variations in the measurements. By using two buckets, you can accurately measure out 1 litre at a time and keep track of the total amount.

3. Can I use any size or type of buckets for this measurement?

Yes, as long as one bucket has a capacity of at least 4 litres and the other has a capacity of at least 1 litre, you can use any size or type of buckets. However, it is important to note that the measurements may not be as accurate if the buckets are not marked with their exact capacities.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should fill the buckets?

No, you can fill the buckets in any order. Just make sure to fill the larger bucket first and then pour the water into the smaller bucket. This will ensure that you have an accurate measurement each time.

5. Are there any other methods to measure 4 litres with two buckets and a tap?

Yes, there are other methods, such as using a measuring cup with a 1 litre capacity and filling it 4 times. However, using two buckets and a tap is a more efficient and accurate method. You can also use larger or smaller buckets, as long as the combined capacity is 4 litres.