Lectures on Rings: Galois Theory

In summary, the speaker recently found a brilliant lecture on rings which helped them gain new insights. They plan to continue developing these insights and wanted to share the video link for others to potentially find it interesting. The link leads to a Harvard course on abstract algebra.
Tenshou
I just recently found a brilliant lectures on rings which cleared so many thing up, and opened a whole deal, or prime Ideal(lol) of insights for me, But for now I will work and develop those insights and for the mean time I wish to show you these video, and hope you find it interesting.
Link
\\
\\
Link

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just want to thank you guys for the insights and revelations here! Truly, I didn't have any idea whatsoever that there were these resources available...

vgggg

ing to resources and sharing knowledge is an important aspect of scientific progress, so thank you for sharing this lecture series on Galois Theory. It is great to hear that it has helped clarify concepts and sparked new insights for you. As a scientist, it is crucial to continue learning and exploring new ideas, so I encourage you to continue developing and expanding upon these insights. Thank you for sharing this valuable resource and I will definitely take the time to watch these lectures.

1. What is Galois Theory and how does it relate to rings?

Galois Theory is a branch of algebra that studies field extensions, which are mathematical structures that extend a given field. It provides a powerful tool for understanding the structure and properties of rings, which are algebraic structures used to study abstract algebraic concepts such as groups, fields, and modules.

2. What are some key concepts in Galois Theory?

Some key concepts in Galois Theory include the Galois group, which is a group of automorphisms of a field that leave certain elements fixed; the fundamental theorem of Galois Theory, which states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between intermediate fields and subgroups of the Galois group; and the Galois correspondence, which describes the relationship between subfields and subgroups of a Galois extension.

3. How is Galois Theory applied in mathematics and other fields?

Galois Theory has a wide range of applications in mathematics, including algebraic number theory, algebraic geometry, and topology. It also has practical applications in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and quantum computing.

4. What are some important results in Galois Theory?

Some important results in Galois Theory include the insolvability of the quintic equation, which states that there is no general formula for solving a polynomial equation of degree five or higher using only radicals; the Galois group of a finite field is cyclic; and the fact that a polynomial is solvable by radicals if and only if its Galois group is a solvable group.

5. Are there any ongoing research topics related to Galois Theory?

Yes, there are many ongoing research topics related to Galois Theory, including the inverse Galois problem, which asks whether every finite group can be realized as the Galois group of a finite extension of the rational numbers; the Langlands program, which seeks to establish connections between Galois representations and automorphic forms; and the study of Galois groups of infinite extensions, which has applications in mathematical logic and model theory.