How to wirelessly connect laptop to TV

• Thread starter trickslapper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, some people recommend using WiFi products to connect laptops to TVs, while others suggest using cables. Some laptops are not compatible with WiFi products, and Chromecast is an easy solution for Apple products.
trickslapper
Hi guys, I was wondering what is the best way to wirelessly connect my laptops to my TV? I have 3 different laptops: 2 windows 7, and one with Linux (Ubunu/Arch Linux). My TV has built in Wi-fi.

What i would like to accomplish is have my laptop(s) wirelessly connect to the television so that i can still have my laptop with me on the couch and be able to extend my screen. So i could watch netflix on the TV while chatting or doing whatever else on the laptop screen.

I have found one solution that i thought was good but, it would not support my Linux Laptop (the device is called the Imation Link).

If it helps i also plan to have a raspberry pi that is always connected to my TV just for general web surfing/video streaming. Basically i would only plug in my laptops if i was programming, playing some games, preparing a flowchart/powerpoint, etc.

Any ideas on how i could accomplish this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well i did some research on these Warpia products but, they do not support Linux operating systems. Now I'm thinking of just having a super long hdmi cable that i just route underneath my carpet so i can't see it..

trickslapper said:
Well i did some research on these Warpia products but, they do not support Linux operating systems. Now I'm thinking of just having a super long hdmi cable that i just route underneath my carpet so i can't see it..

I used to use S-Video. Pretty cheap option. Linux compatibility is an issue for WiFi products.

Netflix and the like is an easy fix if your tv has HDMI get the GOOGLE's Chromecast for $35 !

if u have apple tv its used wireless on the mac and tv . there's probably an android application for the wireless connect

1. How do I connect my laptop to my TV wirelessly?

There are a few different ways to wirelessly connect your laptop to your TV. One option is to use a HDMI cable with a wireless HDMI transmitter. Another option is to use a streaming device such as Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV. You can also use a Miracast or WiDi adapter to wirelessly mirror your laptop's screen to your TV.

2. What type of TV do I need to wirelessly connect to my laptop?

In order to wirelessly connect your laptop to your TV, your TV must have built-in wireless capabilities or be compatible with a wireless adapter. Most modern Smart TVs have this capability, but if your TV does not, you can use a streaming device or adapter to connect wirelessly.

3. Do I need any special software or apps to wirelessly connect my laptop to my TV?

In most cases, you do not need any special software or apps to connect your laptop to your TV wirelessly. However, some streaming devices may require you to download their respective apps in order to use them. Additionally, if you are using a Miracast or WiDi adapter, you may need to install a driver or software on your laptop.

4. Can I stream both video and audio wirelessly from my laptop to my TV?

Yes, depending on the method you are using to connect your laptop to your TV, you can stream both video and audio wirelessly. For example, if you are using a wireless HDMI transmitter, it will transmit both video and audio signals. However, if you are using a streaming device or adapter, you may need to adjust your laptop's audio output settings to ensure that the audio is also being streamed to your TV.

5. Are there any limitations to wirelessly connecting my laptop to my TV?

There may be some limitations when it comes to wirelessly connecting your laptop to your TV. Some factors that may affect the quality of the connection and streaming include the distance between your laptop and TV, any potential interference, and the capabilities of your TV and wireless adapter. It is also important to note that streaming wirelessly may not be as reliable as a wired connection, so there may be occasional buffering or lag.