Graduate Courses In Thin Film Technology and Engineering

In summary, a student is in their final year of B.Tech Engineering Physics and has found that the curriculum does not focus on the engineering aspect. They are interested in pursuing a career in Thin Film Technology and are seeking advice on promising graduate level courses and necessary preparations. Another person suggests meeting with an advisor to ensure classes align with their research goals.
akhilmarar
Hi Everyone,
I am currently doing my final year in B.Tech Engineering Physics. During these 3 years studying this course, I understood that learning Engineering was never the intent of this course in my college.. Faculty were stuffing us with Pure Physics with Applied or Engineering Physics never visible in the curriculum. I have always found modern physics subjects like Quantum Mechanics and Electrodynamics difficult to understand. However there was this one elective that caught my interest: Thin Film Technology. That is one field that I want my make my career in.
My query to experts out here is about promising graduate level courses that are available for this field and what preparations would I have to make to achieve the same. I would be deeply thankful for your guidance.

Akhil

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but if you plan to take graduate level courses, you will probably have to meet with an advisor. They can make sure you take classes that supplement your research.

1. What is thin film technology and engineering?

Thin film technology and engineering is a field of study that focuses on the creation and application of thin layers of materials, typically ranging from a few nanometers to a few micrometers in thickness. These films are used in a variety of industries, including electronics, optics, and energy.

2. What types of courses are typically included in a graduate program in thin film technology and engineering?

Graduate courses in thin film technology and engineering cover a range of topics, including materials science, surface and interface physics, deposition techniques, characterization methods, and device fabrication. Students may also take courses in areas such as nanotechnology, semiconductors, and polymers.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in thin film technology and engineering?

Graduates with a degree in thin film technology and engineering can pursue careers in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing, solar energy, and medical devices. They may also work in research and development roles for companies or government agencies.

4. What skills will I develop through a graduate program in thin film technology and engineering?

Through a graduate program in thin film technology and engineering, you will develop skills in materials analysis, thin film deposition techniques, device fabrication, and problem-solving. You will also gain a strong foundation in scientific methodology and critical thinking, which are valuable skills in any field.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in a graduate program in thin film technology and engineering?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or materials science is required for admission to a graduate program in thin film technology and engineering. Some programs may also require specific coursework or laboratory experience in these areas. It is important to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in applying to.