Branch of physics with many challlenges

In summary, this person suggests that someone wanting to pursue a career in physics should select a university with a strong research program in astrophysics, enrol in an undergraduate physics course, and get a research internship as soon as possible.
nil1996
Hello everyone,
The next year i am going to join a UG course in India. And i am going to take physics. From my childhood i loved astronomy. I used to attend every lecture held on astronomy in our area. My dream is to become a researcher in physics. I don't want to become a professor in physics teaching at colleges the same lessons everyday. In which branch of physics do we have lots of challenges??

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Challenges as in academic rigor? Or challenges as in problems that need to be solved for the good of humanity?

There is a lot going on in private sector and research.

I think you need to find a few subjects, and try and pick one that interests you the most. When you're passionately devoted to a problem, you're a lot more willing to mull over it night and day until you've made progress -- and then mull over it some more.

Polymer physics/ material science, Geophysics, Accelerator physics (be ready for quite a bit of comp sci cross over here), etc. There are problems in every field, but the demand seems to be higher in those fields. I'd have to look up some numbers, but I hear these specific sub-fields thrown around a lot.

Cheers

nil1996 said:
Hello everyone,
The next year i am going to join a UG course in India. And i am going to take physics. From my childhood i loved astronomy. I used to attend every lecture held on astronomy in our area. My dream is to become a researcher in physics. I don't want to become a professor in physics teaching at colleges the same lessons everyday. In which branch of physics do we have lots of challenges??

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.:smile:

This is a bit puzzling.

EVERY branch of physics has lots of challenges. If not, that branch will be dead, and no one will fund work in it!

I know it may be difficult to hear someone tells you to be patient for now, but you'll know more about all the different fields in physics when you are about to finish with your undergraduate degree. Right now, I think you don't have a clear picture of the various fields in physics, and you may also have a distorted view of what it means to be a researcher, or a college professor.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is a bit puzzling.

EVERY branch of physics has lots of challenges. If not, that branch will be dead, and no one will fund work in it!

I know it may be difficult to hear someone tells you to be patient for now, but you'll know more about all the different fields in physics when you are about to finish with your undergraduate degree. Right now, I think you don't have a clear picture of the various fields in physics, and you may also have a distorted view of what it means to be a researcher, or a college professor.

Zz.

Yes i agree that i am not aware of branches in physics. I want a branch of physics which is a combination of astrophysics and computer science(programming).

nil1996 said:
Yes i agree that i am not aware of branches in physics. I want a branch of physics which is a combination of astrophysics and computer science(programming).
Then go for it. Most research in astrophysics involves a lot of programming.

Just choose a university with a strong research program is astrophysics (you can usually find all relevant information on a university website) and enrol into an undergraduate physics course. Then try to get a research internship with your university as soon as possible.

Currently it is still not too difficult to get job as a physicist in India. Nobody can tell whether it will still be possible in 10-15 years (when you finish your PhD), but you can always try and see how you fare.

Last edited:
Corpuscule said:
Then go for it. Most research in astrophysics involves a lot of programming.

Just choose a university with a strong research program is astrophysics (you can usually find all relevant information on a university website) and enrol into an undergraduate physics course. Then try to get a research internship with your university as soon as possible.

Currently it is still not too difficult to get job as a physicist in India. Nobody can tell whether it will still be possible in 10-15 years (when you finish your PhD), but you can always try and see how you fare.

thanks for guidance

What is the branch of physics with many challenges?

The branch of physics with many challenges is known as theoretical physics. This field of physics deals with abstract and complex concepts and theories that are not easily observed or tested in a laboratory setting.

What are some of the major challenges in theoretical physics?

Some of the major challenges in theoretical physics include understanding the fundamental laws of nature, such as gravity and quantum mechanics, and reconciling them with each other. Other challenges include explaining the origin and nature of dark matter and dark energy, and developing a theory of quantum gravity.

Why is theoretical physics important?

Theoretical physics is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the universe. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy at the most fundamental levels, which can then be tested and applied in real-world applications.

What skills are necessary to work in theoretical physics?

To work in theoretical physics, one must have a strong grasp of mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, the ability to think abstractly and creatively is crucial in order to develop new theories and approaches to understanding the universe.

What are some current areas of research in theoretical physics?

Some current areas of research in theoretical physics include string theory, quantum field theory, and cosmology. Other topics of interest include black holes, particle physics, and the search for a unified theory of physics. Additionally, there is ongoing research into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the role they play in the evolution of the universe.