Programming jobs related to astronomy

In summary, the conversation discusses the career opportunities for a math major and the possibility of pursuing a computer software/programming degree. There is mention of jobs in astronomy related to programming and the possibility of competing with PhDs for those positions. One person shares their friend's experience with a similar background and specialization in optics and electrical engineering. The conversation ends with the mention of a relevant publication and the difficulty of finding astronomy related jobs in a certain area.
Lee33
I am currently a math major and I have one more year before graduating with a bachelors degree. There aren't many career opportunities for a math major -- with only a bachelors degree -- other than being a teacher or going to graduate school; which I heard is very challenging and has a lot of pressure in publishing and tenure politics. So, after I obtain my math degree I am going to go back to school and obtain a computer software/programming related degree. My question is there any programming or software engineer jobs related to astronomy (I love astronomy with a passion)? For example, building cameras for astronomers or programming an optical system. If there is, is it in high demand?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Space Telescope Science Institute, which manages the Hubble Space Telescope and will manage the James Webb Space Telescope, hires programmers to work on astronomy related jobs. Though, due to the excess of PhDs in physics, astronomy, and cosmology, I believe you will be competing with the aforementioned PhDs for these positions as the STSI prefer graduate degrees and astronomy experience or knowledge. Are you going back to school for a graduate degree in computer science?

A friend of mine was the lead programmer for the Discovery Channel telescope built by Lowell Observatory. He has an undergrad in physics, and he specialized in grad school with a masters in optics and electrical engineering.

Thanks for your responses.

Jozape - If I must go back to school for a graduate degree then I will do so but my preferred choice is to just get an undergraduate computer science degree. Do you think that will suffice?

Ben Espen - I have a math degree, can I do the same thing in going back to school with the concentration of optics and electrical engineering?

Lee,

I don't see why not. You might have more pre-reqs to fulfill, but in principle there is no obstacle to specializing in something like telescope control systems. Here is a relevant publication so you can gauge your interest level: http://spie.org/x648.html?product_id=857557#!

Likes 1 person
Ben Espen said:
Lee,

I don't see why not. You might have more pre-reqs to fulfill, but in principle there is no obstacle to specializing in something like telescope control systems. Here is a relevant publication so you can gauge your interest level: http://spie.org/x648.html?product_id=857557#!

Cool
I like astronomy too but there is no hire in my area

Thank you Ben!

1. What is the job outlook for programming jobs related to astronomy?

The job outlook for programming jobs related to astronomy is expected to be positive. With advancements in technology and the increasing use of data in astronomy research, there will likely be a growing demand for individuals with programming skills in the field.

2. What programming languages are commonly used in astronomy?

Commonly used programming languages in astronomy include Python, Java, C++, and Fortran. These languages are used for data analysis, simulations, and developing software for telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

3. What skills are needed for programming jobs related to astronomy?

In addition to proficiency in programming languages, individuals in programming jobs related to astronomy should have a strong understanding of astronomy and astrophysics concepts. They should also have good problem-solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team.

4. What types of tasks do programmers in astronomy typically work on?

Programmers in astronomy may work on a variety of tasks, including developing software for data analysis and visualization, creating simulations of astronomical phenomena, and designing and maintaining databases used for storing and organizing astronomical data.

5. Are there any specific education or training requirements for programming jobs related to astronomy?

While there are no specific education or training requirements for programming jobs related to astronomy, most employers will prefer candidates with a degree in computer science, astronomy, or a related field. Additionally, having experience in both programming and astronomy through internships or research projects can be beneficial.