Why f(x) = x^n - r e^{i \theta}? Seeking Analytic Explanation

This corresponds to the factorization on the RHS of the original equation.In summary, the conversation is about the identity f(x) = x^n - r e^{i \theta} = \prod_{j = 0}^{n - 1} ( x - r^{1/n} e^{i \theta / n} e^{2 \pi i j / n} ) and its relationship to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. The equation can be rewritten in terms of the n-th roots of unity and the question is asking for a proof of the theorem.
ggb123
I'd like to figure out why

[tex] f(x) = x^n - r e^{i \theta} = \prod_{j = 0}^{n - 1} ( x - r^{1/n} e^{i \theta / n} e^{2 \pi i j / n} ) [/tex],

as I've seen it used as an identity in a few courses but I cannot figure it out. Could somebody shed some light? I understand they are the roots of the function, but I'd like some kind of analytic description.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I think you may have answered your own question: if you are willing to accept that the RHS above can be rewritten as
[tex]
\prod_{j = 0}^{n - 1} ( x - a_j )
[/tex]
where [itex]a_j[/itex] (with [itex]j=0,1,...,n-1[/itex]) are the n-th roots of the complex number in polar form [itex]r e^{i \theta}[/itex], then your question can be rephrased as: "can somebody point me to a proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra"?

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
You have ##x^n = re^{i\theta}##, so taking the n'th root of each side you get
$$x = \sqrt[n]{re^{i\theta}}\,\omega_k, \quad k = 0,\dots,n-1$$
where the ##\omega_k## are the n'th roots of unity.

1. What is the purpose of the exponential term in the function?

The exponential term in the function serves to introduce an imaginary component to the equation, allowing for complex numbers to be used in the expression. This is useful in many applications of mathematics and physics.

2. How does the value of n affect the graph of the function?

The value of n, also known as the degree of the polynomial, determines the shape of the graph. For instance, when n is even, the graph will have a similar shape to a parabola, while odd values of n will result in a graph with a "wave-like" shape.

3. What does the value of r represent in the equation?

The value of r, also known as the modulus, determines the distance from the origin to each point on the graph. It essentially controls the "size" of the graph and can be used to manipulate the amplitude of the function.

4. How does the value of theta affect the function?

The value of theta, also known as the argument, determines the angle at which the graph will be rotated. This can result in a different orientation of the graph or a change in the direction of the function's movement.

5. What is the significance of the term f(x) and how is it related to the rest of the function?

The term f(x) represents the output or dependent variable in the function, while x is the input or independent variable. This notation is used to show the relationship between the input and output of the function and is essential for evaluating and understanding its behavior.