No Shower Month: Record How Long You Lasted

• Thread starter stoned
  • Start date
In summary: I think the last time I went more than two days without a shower (more like 36 hours at most if I'm working in barns with no hope of staying clean, but boy does a shower feel wonderful at the end of that) was as a kid in the summer when we'd spend the whole day swimming.
stoned
what is the record number of days, weeks you lasted without taking bath, shower ?
i'm in my second week of staying "natural" :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
uhh.. i woulda outdone you on this, but I finally found the time to have one yesterday

and btw, that whole popular myth that you'll stink after not having a shower for days is b.s.

so...how long you have managed ? tell me.

3 days probably.

cronxeh said:
and btw, that whole popular myth that you'll stink after not having a shower for days is b.s.

I sure smell after not showing for a few days :|. Maybe its my clothes.

A few days? I smell if I don't shower after one day! Not to mention I just feel icky!

With the exception of reasons including going camping, being lost in the wilderness, or illness, anyone who answers more than one day is officially off my list of potential dates. :tongue2: :yuck:

Seems that not everyone abhors stinkiness. I am reminded of a little trivia from some French history I've been reading:

It is said that while campaigning in Egypt, Napolean once wrote to his beloved Josephine back in France, "Ne te lave pas. J'arrive." ("Don't wash. I am coming.")

Moonbear said:
A few days? I smell if I don't shower after one day! Not to mention I just feel icky!

Yeah, that's the big thing for me. Even if i don't smell, I feel gross if i don't shower. Now, there are times when this doesn't matter(dry camping with horses comes to mind) because there is no staying clean anyway. But under normal circumstances i can't stand not bathing.

With the exception of reasons including going camping, being lost in the wilderness, or illness, anyone who answers more than one day is officially off my list of potential dates. :tongue2: :yuck:

Agreed.

when i was kid we at home use to take shower just once a week on saturday evening. my mother gave us fresh pyjamas, she prepared also fresh bed covers. Man ! it felt so nice. my parents are still like that to this very day.

I have maybe gone three days, not recently though. The main reason I need to take a shower every day is because of my hair. My long beautiful locks cannot go a day without being washed :smile:

I just took my annual shower. :uhh:

stoned said:
when i was kid we at home use to take shower just once a week on saturday evening. my mother gave us fresh pyjamas, she prepared also fresh bed covers. Man ! it felt so nice. my parents are still like that to this very day.

Yeah well when you're a kid you don't sweat like you do after puberty. If the temperature breaks 80 degrees, I'll not be smelling pretty without bathing.

stoned said:

I like that attitude, the popular idea of having to shower every day is just pathetic (unless you are particularly sweaty), not to mention the amounts of fresh drinking water that is spoiled this way.

FranzNietzsche said:
Even if i don't smell, I feel gross if i don't shower.

This is a nice example of the whole thing just being a hoax.

the longest I've managed is 8 days. And no I did not smell

What a strange topic.

I feel just nasty if I go more than one day without showering. I don't have much hair, but my face feels all oily. I atleast have to wash my hands and face even if I am camping or sick. The armpits too. I don't walk around with cologne and anti-perspirant on all the time, but there is something about old armpit sweat that is very pervasive. I like to wash my hands after I use the bathroom and usually before I eat also.

franznietzsche said:
Yeah well when you're a kid you don't sweat like you do after puberty. If the temperature breaks 80 degrees, I'll not be smelling pretty without bathing.

I don't know, once you've gotten past being an infant, kids sure do manage to get into a lot of dirt. I think the last time I went more than two days without a shower (more like 36 hours at most if I'm working in barns with no hope of staying clean, but boy does a shower feel wonderful at the end of that) was as a kid in the summer when we'd spend the whole day swimming. Mom reasoned that we were in water all day, so we didn't really need a shower other than a quick rinse to get the chlorine off. But otherwise, we might not smell bad, but we sure were filthy by the end of the day.

right now I'm not working so i stay whole days at home in front of computer that is why i don't have to take shower. everything is going according to my
"no shower month" plan, one problem though - my feet stink really bad so I'm forced to washed them in sink everyday.

Huckleberry said:
What a strange topic.

I feel just nasty if I go more than one day without showering. I don't have much hair, but my face feels all oily. I atleast have to wash my hands and face even if I am camping or sick. The armpits too. I don't walk around with cologne and anti-perspirant on all the time, but there is something about old armpit sweat that is very pervasive. I like to wash my hands after I use the bathroom and usually before I eat also.

Good, you're still on my list. :biggrin: I don't like cologne or perfume, so to me, clean soap smell is the best scent to have.

yomamma said:
the longest I've managed is 8 days. And no I did not smell

Did you ask anyone else who had to be in the same room with you? Or was this before you went through puberty?

I like to soak in hot bubble baths. They help me unwind while I am getting clean. I'm a sucker for all those foo-foo bath treatments, facial packs, and fragrant shower gels. I just love things that smell good.
I love scented lotions, too. I just noticed I have three different kinds on my nightstand: gardenia, sandalwood rose, and Samsara. I guess I am just a little sissy foofy girly-girl!

Moonbear said:
Good, you're still on my list. :biggrin: I don't like cologne or perfume, so to me, clean soap smell is the best scent to have.
Mmmm, I love the smell of soap. I dated a guy once mainly because he smelled like soap. And he was really interesting. But mainly he smelled like soap. :blushing:

Math Is Hard said:
I guess I am just a little sissy foofy girly-girl!
That's the worst kind... :frown:

Doesn't the sense of smell adapt to the surroundings? So if you are in a smelly room for a period of time then you no longer 'smell' the room? Maybe nobody has the heart to tell stoned to take a shower.

Hey, what's the world record for not bathing?

Math Is Hard said:
I like to soak in hot bubble baths. They help me unwind while I am getting clean. I'm a sucker for all those foo-foo bath treatments, facial packs, and fragrant shower gels. I just love things that smell good.
I love scented lotions, too. I just noticed I have three different kinds on my nightstand: gardenia, sandalwood rose, and Samsara. I guess I am just a little sissy foofy girly-girl!

I'm not into the lotions, though people used to buy them for me a lot when I still worked with goats (as if scented lotions would overcome goat stink!), but I do enjoy a hot bubble bath and foo-foo bath things. But, that's sort of a once in a while indulgence, not something I do on a regular basis. I have been known to shower twice a day though, especially in the summer. I usually shower at night because I just don't like to go to bed feeling dirty, but in the summer, I'll also shower in the morning because I'll sweat during the night (I don't like air-conditioning much).

Oh, Evo, what's your favorite soap? Lever2000 and Irish Spring are like aphrodesiacs for me! I could just gobble up a guy who smells like one of those. :biggrin: Oh, and one guy I dated always had great smelling hair, so I asked him what shampoo he used because I just loved the way it smelled...Head and Shoulders! :rofl:

Huckleberry said:
Doesn't the sense of smell adapt to the surroundings? So if you are in a smelly room for a period of time then you no longer 'smell' the room? Maybe nobody has the heart to tell stoned to take a shower.

I once worked with a guy who clearly did not shower. :yuck: The odor would nearly knock you over! We insisted our lab head talk to him about hygiene since he seemed totally oblivious to his odor and it was bad enough to gag us and make our eyes water. I wasn't sure which was worse, him or the guy who seemed to bathe in cologne!

Moonbear said:
Oh, Evo, what's your favorite soap?
My all time favorite was by Caress that they stopped making about 3 years ago. :devil: I don't remember the name. Now I use the original Caress, not as good. I've been thinking about writing to the company because I miss it so much. :frown:

I don't know what that guy used, but it was definitely an aphrodisiac. I asked him, but he wouldn't tell me. :grumpy: I hate men that douse themselves with cologne.

Evo said:
My all time favorite was by Caress that they stopped making about 3 years ago. :devil: I don't remember the name. Now I use the original Caress, not as good. I've been thinking about writing to the company because I miss it so much. :frown:

Hey, I used to use something by Caress too! I didn't realize they stopped making it since I moved here a little over 3 years ago, so just figured the stores here didn't carry it for some reason when I couldn't find it.

Moonbear said:
Hey, I used to use something by Caress too! I didn't realize they stopped making it since I moved here a little over 3 years ago, so just figured the stores here didn't carry it for some reason when I couldn't find it.
It had to be the same thing! It smelled so good! I even took a bar of it to Europe with me.

Evo said:
They used to have a "white flowers" one I liked. Was it that one?

Math Is Hard said:
They used to have a "white flowers" one I liked. Was it that one?
That must be it, that sounds familiar! I think it's the only one they no longer make, and it was the best! :devil: :devil: :devil:

When I fianally take shower one day, I'm going to have to use bleach or chlorox instead of fancy soaps. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Oh, Evo, what's your favorite soap? Lever2000 and Irish Spring are like aphrodesiacs for me! I could just gobble up a guy who smells like one of those. Oh, and one guy I dated always had great smelling hair, so I asked him what shampoo he used because I just loved the way it smelled...Head and Shoulders
Irish Spring is my favorite. I like the smell of it and the colors on the bar of soap appeal to me. They all kind of swirl together without ever blending. I'll try and watch the pattern as it wears down. My grandmother had a canary once that would wolf-whistle whenever the commercial came on.
TV "Clean as a whistle. Woooot Wooo!"
Canary "Woooot Wooo!"
I don't like most colognes. I especially despise Old Spice. Anything that smells like baby powder I don't like. I bought this new gel anti-perspirant and tried it out. It smelled like baby powder and I hate it. I'm too cheap to throw it out so I use it anyway. Works good, just don't like the scent.

Huckleberry said:
Irish Spring is my favorite. I like the smell of it and the colors on the bar of soap appeal to me. They all kind of swirl together without ever blending. I'll try and watch the pattern as it wears down. My grandmother had a canary once that would wolf-whistle whenever the commercial came on.
TV "Clean as a whistle. Woooot Wooo!"
Canary "Woooot Wooo!"
I don't like most colognes. I especially despise Old Spice. Anything that smells like baby powder I don't like. I bought this new gel anti-perspirant and tried it out. It smelled like baby powder and I hate it. I'm too cheap to throw it out so I use it anyway. Works good, just don't like the scent.

Ooh, you're sounding better and better (or at least smelling better and better). My stepdad wears old spice and I hate it! :yuck: Now I know what old man smell is, it's Old Spice. Baby powder smells good on babies, but that's it. But, yeah, I'm like you are about that, if the antiperspirant works, just live with the scent and don't buy it again.

Huckleberry said:
The only one I personally know of was my uncle who was killed in France in 1917. He spent several weeks in the same trench. When they were pretty sure that they weren't going to get shot at for a few minutes, they'd take their helmets off and use them as basins to shave and wash their asses. That was maybe a couple of times a week.
I'm betting that a lot of primitive tribes in Africa and South America don't put quite so much of a premium on hygeine.
As for the Napoleonic quote, it was because of the pheremonal effect of sweat. In the dark ages, women would hold apples under their armpits for a few hours, then gift departing knights with them to keep them inspired. It's all based upon the fact that sweat in the pits, groin and breasts includes proteins, aromatic oils, and other chemicals that are not present in normal sweat. I defer to Ms. Bear for details. :redface:

I heard something about pheromones being secreted in armpits glands and supposedlly women find them irresistible.