Fisherman finds 4000-year old artifact

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    artifact
In summary, a fisherman named Nikolay Tarasov discovered a 4,000-year-old pagan figurine carved in bone worth more than its weight in gold while fishing in a Siberian river near the community of Tisul. The artifact was given to a museum and Tarasov did not ask for any reward, stating that it was important for people to learn the history of their region. Some people find the figurine creepy and believe it may be cursed.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Fisherman nets 4,000-year-old pagan figurine

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/fisherman-nets-4000-year-old-pagan-figurine/

Nikolay Tarasov pulls Bronze Age artifact, carved in bone and said to be worth more than its weight in gold, from Siberian river near the community of Tisul.

Yahoo - The museum director added that Tarasov did not ask for any reward, even though the artifact “is probably worth more than if it was made of gold.”

Tarasov, a Siberian driver who fishes on the side, offered a simple explanation.

“People should see it, and learn the history of their region. It was quite clearly precious for the museums of any country.”

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't care what it is worth. It looks creepy and likely is cursed :)

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't what it is worth. It looks creepy and likely is cursed :)

I think you have one or more words missing in that post

Also, FYI, Drakkith told me it looks just like you. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't care what it is worth. It looks creepy and likely is cursed :)

Pretty sure the plot of Exorcist III...well, one of the exorcist sequels/prequels, anyway - began with something like this. :biggrin:

phinds said:
Also, FYI, Drakkith told me it looks just like you. :smile:

I won't deny this.

1. Who was the fisherman who found the artifact?

The fisherman's identity is not known as the article does not provide this information.

2. Where was the artifact found?

The article states that the artifact was found by the fisherman in a river located in a remote area, but the specific location is not mentioned.

3. How was the artifact dated to be 4000 years old?

The artifact was most likely dated using radiocarbon dating, which is a commonly used method for determining the age of organic materials. The article does not mention the specific method used for dating the artifact.

4. What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery provides insight into the history and culture of the people who lived in the area 4000 years ago. It also adds to the body of knowledge about ancient civilizations and their daily lives.

5. What will happen to the artifact now that it has been found?

The artifact will most likely be studied and preserved by experts in order to learn more about its origins and significance. It may also be displayed in a museum for public viewing.

Back