Ideas for 44 Hour Drive to San Fran: Learn While You Drive!

• Thread starter amb123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, if you're looking for something mentally stimulating to listen to on a long car ride, some suggestions include: physics lectures, language learning programs (such as the Pimsleur series), recordings of the radio program "This American Life," and the Feynman lectures on CD. You could also consider purchasing a device to play MP3s in your car, or renting books on tape. However, don't forget to also relax and enjoy the drive!
amb123
Anyone have suggestions on things to listen to in the car? I've got a 44 hour drive to San Fran to make in July and want to try to stock up on stuff to listen to now. I have only cd, no tape or mp3 drive. I am considering physics lectures and things like that, but would welcome anything that would be mentally stimulating. I'm also considering a mega memory type thing.

Suggestions?
thx!
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
You could check these out:

http://www.teach12.com/teach12.asp?ai=16281

They're pricey though.

Also - the Pimsleur series for language learning is great.

You can also buy one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86537&item=5775364633&rd=1

for transmitting the sound of a portable device through a car radio. MP3 players are much less of a hassle. You can buy a CD player that plays burned MP3's for less than $100 these days. Or if you have a laptop, you could also just use that.

While not educational per se, I really recommend the radio program This American Life - www.thislife.org. You can download them for free as RealAudio and convert them to MP3's, or use TotalRecorder to make MP3's out of them by recording the audio stream. (I also have about 100 of the episodes on MP3 so if you want, I can burn you copies).

Personally, I wouldn't go overboard with the whole learning thing. Relax, and enjoy the drive with some good music. I did the NJ to CA drive in about 4 days - that was nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
learn a foriegn language. that's a long drive, and it'd be cool. get some cd's in the foriegn language too... thatd be fun... i think so at least...
otherwise, i usually just get books on tape. or a series. when we had a 30 our summer road trip, we rented to whole lotr series on tape. that was kinda neat. its a bummer when you stop for gas though.

Gale17, I actually have a 6 cd learn spanish set that I am going to listen to. Hey, I've got to get something out of 6 hours. Buying some spanish cds is a good idea, too. Maybe a lecture, lol!

Juvenal, thanks for the link! That site looks like it has some good stuff and I'm going to go through more of it tomorrow.

No can do on buying stuff for the car, i'll probably be selling it after I get my routine together in Berkeley because it'll be too impractical to own a vehicle, and my boyfriend has a car so weekends are covered:)

As far as relaxing and enjoying the ride, I'm sure that i'll do that at some points, too! But, my mind gets bored when disengaged for too long... and the road tends to do that to me.

More suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!
-A

I just started listening to the Feynman lectures on my comute to school. They're pretty cool!

1. What kind of learning activities can I do during a 44 hour drive to San Francisco?

There are many different types of learning activities you can do during a long drive. Some ideas include listening to educational podcasts, audiobooks, or language learning programs. You can also create your own learning materials, such as flashcards or study guides, and review them while in the car. Another option is to play educational games with your travel companions, such as trivia or word games.

2. How can I make the most of my time during a 44 hour drive?

To make the most of your time during a long drive, it's important to plan ahead. Make a list of learning goals or topics you want to cover during the drive and gather any materials or resources you will need. It's also helpful to take breaks every few hours to stretch your legs and refocus your mind.

3. How can I stay engaged and focused during such a long drive?

Staying engaged and focused during a long drive can be a challenge. One tip is to break up your learning activities into shorter sessions, with breaks in between. This will help prevent burnout and keep you from feeling overwhelmed. It's also important to choose learning materials or activities that you find interesting and enjoyable.

4. Can I involve my travel companions in the learning process?

Absolutely! Involving your travel companions in the learning process can make the drive more fun and interactive. You can take turns teaching each other new things or playing educational games together. This can also help keep everyone engaged and focused during the drive.

5. How can I track my progress and stay motivated during a long drive?

Tracking your progress and staying motivated during a long drive is important to ensure you are making the most of your learning experience. One idea is to set specific learning goals for each day of the drive and track your progress towards those goals. You can also reward yourself for reaching milestones or completing certain tasks. Additionally, keeping a journal or log of your learning journey can help you reflect on your progress and stay motivated.