Calculating Matrix Determinant of 4x4: Different Answers

In summary, the online matrix calculator gave me det=2 for my 4x4 matrix, while the gaussian elimination method would have given me det=6. I'm confused as to why the calculator gave me a different answer. So, by what method did you get 6, and why do you think the method is appropriate?
sibiryk
I have a matrix 4x4:

I need to find determinant. I am getting det=6.
When I use online matrix calculator it gives me det=2.

I tried reduce second row (2 row - 1(1 row)) and I got det=2

I'm confused. Why calculator gives me different answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, by what method did you get 6, and why do you think the method is appropriate?

You forgot to answer the second half of my question. :smile: Why do you think that formula is appropriate for your problem?

(Or, to put it differently, when is that formula applicable, and is your problem one of those times?)

Actually I'm not sure about that. Do you want to say that this formula is not aplicatable for 4x4 matrix?

I didn't want to say it -- I was hoping that it would be obvious from the fact that the matrix in (10) is a 3x3 matrix, and that you would see it for yourself. :tongue2:

I suspect, despite the fact you have not said this is what you've done, that you attempted to make up your own generalization of that formula to 4x4 matrices, and got it wrong.

(Incidentally, the text preceeding formula (10), of which (10) is an example, does describe a correct way to compute a determinant, but it's not a practical method)

My suggestion is (if you are going to use the cofactor method) that you take the determinant across the bottom row. It has the most zeroes and you will find it easiest to compute.

[tex]\det{A}=\sum_{j=1}^{4}\left(-1\right)^{j+4}\det{A_{4j}}[/tex]

...where det(A4j) is the determinant of the matrix after deleting row 4 and column j.

From this point, the easiest method to find this determinant would be with a gaussian elimination. It would take only one operation...

Indeed, that is what made sibiryk's post so puzzling! According to him he did it one way and got an answer of 6, then row-reduce the matrix to a triangular form- which gave an answer of 2, the same as he got from the calculator and was wondering why the calculator said 2!

Yes, I was talking about gaussian elimination and I made a mistake.
It was suppouse to be (2nd row -2(1st row)).

Thank you guys very much!

1. How do you calculate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be calculated by using the rule of Sarrus or by expanding the matrix using the Laplace expansion method. Both methods involve multiplying and adding the elements of the matrix in a specific pattern.

2. Why do different methods for calculating the determinant of a 4x4 matrix give different answers?

Different methods can give different answers because they use different rules and patterns to calculate the determinant. The determinant of a matrix is unique and the answer should be the same regardless of the method used, as long as the calculations are correct.

3. Can one method for calculating the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be considered more accurate than another?

No, both methods are equally accurate as long as the calculations are done correctly. The difference in answers could be due to human error or rounding off of numbers during the calculations.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to simplify the calculations for a 4x4 matrix. For example, if a row or column has all zeros except for one element, the determinant will be equal to that element multiplied by the determinant of the remaining submatrix.

5. What is the importance of calculating the determinant of a 4x4 matrix in science?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is an important mathematical concept that is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, find the area of a parallelogram, and calculate the volume of a parallelepiped. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and statistics.