Math & Sci: Difference Between Mathematical & Scientific Determinism

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: After that, empirical investigation becomes necessary.Jesus, I was afraid someone might challenge me on that. Deduction is based on first-principles, something known beforehand: if it worked before and this is similar to it, then it should work the same way. That's fine for continuous phenomena in which the past is "connected" to the future in some analytical way. We can extrapolate with some confidence into the future based on behavior in the past. However, deduction cannot predict "emergent" behavior. Wait, let me get my definition out . . .here: Emergence referes to a process by which a system of interacting subunits acquires qual
Imparcticle
what is the difference between mathematical determinism and scientific determinism?

Physics news on Phys.org
I give up.

Tell me.

expermentation vs theory.

Oh.

Thanks.

Uhh... am I correct in thinking that the "theory" is the "scientific" part?

jimmie said:
Oh.

Thanks.

Uhh... am I correct in thinking that the "theory" is the "scientific" part?

No, both of them (experimentation and theory) working together make up the "scientific part".

I can think of several different ways of interpreting the word 'determinism'. It would help if you would define the meaning here.

Imparcticle said:
what is the difference between mathematical determinism and scientific determinism?

Well, I think "scientific determinism" embodies empirical evidence whereas mathematical determinism involves deductive evidence. However different, empirical and deductive evidence are made from the same cloth it seems to me and is the reason mathematics is so successful in describing nature. Thus maybe there is some intimate connection between empirical (what's really out there), and deductive evidence. Perhaps this is related to the difference between continuous and non-continuous functions: As long as phenomena are "continuous", then deductive reasoning in some form "matches" empirical evidence. However, as discontinuities and critical points emerge, they diverge.

No, both of them (experimentation and theory) working together make up the "scientific part".

Oh.

Thanks.

Well, I think "scientific determinism" embodies empirical evidence whereas mathematical determinism involves deductive evidence. However different, empirical and deductive evidence are made from the same cloth it seems to me and is the reason mathematics is so successful in describing nature. Thus maybe there is some intimate connection between empirical (what's really out there), and deductive evidence. Perhaps this is related to the difference between continuous and non-continuous functions: As long as phenomena are "continuous", then deductive reasoning in some form "matches" empirical evidence. However, as discontinuities and critical points emerge, they diverge.

that sounds good to me. let's go with that. :approve:

saltydog said:
Perhaps this is related to the difference between continuous and non-continuous functions: As long as phenomena are "continuous", then deductive reasoning in some form "matches" empirical evidence. However, as discontinuities and critical points emerge, they diverge.

Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean they diverge?

You are using "deductiive reasoning" and "empirical evidence" together as though they were equivalent...which they are not. Either "deductive reasoning" diverges (whatever you meant by that) with "empirical reasoning" or "deductive evidence" with "empirical evidence". Or does it make a difference, however slight?
note that:
reasoning
The basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.

evidence:
A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment.

Courtesy of dictionary.com

HallsofIvy said:
I can think of several different ways of interpreting the word 'determinism'. It would help if you would define the meaning here.

I mean it in the sense of Laplace determinism.

Imparcticle said:
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean they diverge?

You are using "deductiive reasoning" and "empirical evidence" together as though they were equivalent...which they are not. Either "deductive reasoning" diverges (whatever you meant by that) with "empirical reasoning" or "deductive evidence" with "empirical evidence". Or does it make a difference, however slight?
note that:
reasoning
The basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.

evidence:
A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment.

Courtesy of dictionary.com

Jesus, I was afraid someone might challenge me on that.

Deduction is based on first-principles, something known beforehand: if it worked before and this is similar to it, then it should work the same way. That's fine for continuous phenomena in which the past is "connected" to the future in some analytical way. We can extrapolate with some confidence into the future based on behavior in the past.

However, deduction cannot predict "emergent" behavior. Wait, let me get my definition out . . .here: Emergence referes to a process by which a system of interacting subunits acquires qualitatively new properties that cannot be understood as the simple addition of their individual contributions.

But the world is massively emergent! I look out of my window . . . ok I've said that one enough in here. Thus if I'm correct in my statement about deduction being incapable of predicting emergence, then deduction limits out grasp on the world. That is where empirical investigation comes in: We let the world tell us and not deduction.

But qualitative change occurs at a singularity or critical point of a system. So therefore, if emergent change represents qualitative change, then somewhere I suppose, must exists a discontinuous, abrupt, critical point in the system.

Thus I suggest deduction is applicable to describing the world only up to a critical point, e.g., a discontinuity.

What is mathematical determinism?

Mathematical determinism is the belief that all events and outcomes in the universe can be predicted with complete accuracy using mathematical equations and principles. It suggests that the universe operates according to precise and unchanging laws that can be described using mathematical language.

What is scientific determinism?

Scientific determinism is the belief that all events and phenomena in the natural world can be explained and predicted by scientific laws and principles. It suggests that the universe operates according to cause-and-effect relationships that can be understood through empirical evidence and experimentation.

What is the difference between mathematical and scientific determinism?

The main difference between mathematical and scientific determinism is the approach used to understand and predict events in the universe. Mathematical determinism relies on mathematical equations and principles, while scientific determinism uses empirical evidence and experimentation. Additionally, mathematical determinism is often associated with the physical sciences, while scientific determinism encompasses a wider range of disciplines, including biology, psychology, and sociology.

Is one form of determinism more accurate than the other?

This is a highly debated topic and there is no clear answer. Some argue that both mathematical and scientific determinism have their strengths and limitations, and neither can fully explain and predict all events in the universe. Others believe that scientific determinism is more accurate as it takes into account the complexity and unpredictability of natural systems. Ultimately, it is up to individual interpretation and belief.

How does determinism relate to free will?

Determinism suggests that all events and outcomes in the universe are predetermined and follow a set of predetermined laws. This can conflict with the idea of free will, which suggests that individuals have the ability to make choices and decisions that are not predetermined by external factors. However, some argue that determinism and free will can coexist, as free will may be seen as a product of the deterministic laws that govern the universe.