Solids disolved in liquids

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with determining the correct percentages for their electrolysis device using potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte. They are trying to dilute 45% KOH and 55% water to 28% and 72% respectively, with a weight of 1441.5 grams per liter. Through a calculation, it is determined that for every liter of solution, 1.57L of water must be added to achieve the desired dilution.
dkmacmillan
Hello all,
This is my first post here. My apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I'm building an electrolysis device using potassium hydroxide (KOH) as the electrolyte and I don't know the formula for determining the correct percentages.
I'm trying to dilute caustic potash from 45% KOH & 55% water to 28% & 72% respectively.
The weight is 1441.5 grams per liter (gpl).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Let's say that you start with 1L of 45%( that's by wiehgt, I'm guessing) solution and add x cc (=x gms) of water. You now have 450 g KOH with (550 + x) g H2O. So, the new dilution is 450/(550+x) = 28%

Solving for x gives, 0.28x = 450 - (0.28*550) = 296, or x = 1057.143 cc or 1.57 L

So, for every liter of solution, you must add 1.57L of water to get to the right dilution.

Thanks you're a big help!

Try CASC, it does exactly such calculations.

1. What is the definition of "Solids dissolved in liquids"?

"Solids dissolved in liquids" refers to a process in which solid particles are broken down and dispersed into a liquid, creating a homogeneous mixture in which the solid particles cannot be seen with the naked eye.

2. How does the process of dissolving solids in liquids occur?

The process of dissolving solids in liquids occurs when the attractive forces between the particles of the solid and the particles of the liquid are strong enough to overcome the attractive forces between the particles of the solid. This causes the solid particles to separate and become dispersed throughout the liquid, creating a solution.

3. What factors affect the rate of dissolving solids in liquids?

The rate of dissolving solids in liquids can be affected by factors such as temperature, agitation, surface area of the solid, and the strength of the attractive forces between the particles of the solid and the liquid. Higher temperatures, increased agitation, and a larger surface area of the solid can all lead to a faster rate of dissolving.

4. How does the concentration of the solution change as more solid is dissolved?

As more solid is dissolved in a liquid, the concentration of the solution increases. This means that there is a higher amount of dissolved solute particles per unit volume of the solution.

5. Can all solids be dissolved in liquids?

No, not all solids can be dissolved in liquids. Some solids, such as metals and certain types of polymers, have very strong intermolecular forces and are not easily broken down and dispersed in a liquid. Other factors such as solubility and chemical compatibility also play a role in determining if a solid can be dissolved in a specific liquid.