Whiteboard Apps for Online Tutoring | High School Students

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, the speaker is looking for a standalone whiteboard application similar to the one in MSN Messenger to use for informal math tutoring online. They have had problems with their router while using MSN Messenger's whiteboard and have also tried Jabber, but found it to be too buggy. They have searched Google but could not find any other options. Another suggestion is to use Windows Journal and stream the screen to the student's device. However, caution should be taken to not share sensitive information. If live lectures are not given, recording the screen with Journal is also a viable option. Many professors currently use this app for recording lectures.
z-component
I sometimes do informal math tutoring for other high school students online and am looking for a whiteboard application similar to the one featured with MSN Messenger, but as a standalone program. The reason I wish to avoid MSN Messenger's whiteboard is because my router gives me problems when connecting to someone else. I tried Jabber, but the program is so buggy that I can't even connect to a server to try it out... After searching Google, I couldn't find anything else. Does anyone know of any other whiteboard applications?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you give live lectures, then I would consider using Windows Journal and stream your screen onto your student's device. One such option is shown here:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/share-your-computer-screen-the-easy-way-with-screenleap/But beware and don't open any window with sensitive information when you are sharing your screen. Hackers can always steal your info. But the site I noted is not remote desktop control, just sharing, so it is safe in a way, but you have to be cautious still.

If our don't give live lectures, just record your screen and use Journal. Large number of professors are using the app nowadays for recording lectures.

1. What are whiteboard apps for online tutoring?

Whiteboard apps for online tutoring are digital tools that allow students and tutors to collaborate in real-time on a virtual whiteboard. These apps typically include features such as drawing tools, text boxes, and the ability to upload and share documents.

2. How do whiteboard apps benefit high school students?

Whiteboard apps provide high school students with an interactive and engaging way to learn. They allow for visual and interactive learning, making it easier for students to understand complex concepts. Additionally, these apps provide the flexibility for students to receive tutoring and support outside of regular school hours.

3. Can whiteboard apps be used for all subjects?

Yes, whiteboard apps can be used for a wide range of subjects including math, science, language arts, and social studies. These apps are especially effective for subjects that involve problem-solving and visual representations.

4. How can parents and tutors monitor progress using whiteboard apps?

Many whiteboard apps have features that allow parents and tutors to track student progress. This can include the ability to save and review past sessions, track time spent on specific tasks, and monitor student engagement and participation.

5. Are there any security concerns with using whiteboard apps for online tutoring?

While most whiteboard apps have strong security measures in place, it is important for parents and tutors to carefully research and choose a reputable app. It is also recommended to use a secure and private internet connection when using these apps for online tutoring.