Does |A| = k When a is a Complex Number and k is a Positive Integer?

In summary, if a^k = 1 and a ∈ C, k ∈ Z^+, and for some k A = {a|a^k = 1}, then |A| = k, meaning there are k distinct kth roots of unity in the complex numbers. This result is due to Descartes and is guaranteed by the existence of group isomorphisms to the kth roots of unity. For real numbers, there are two roots if k is even, one root if k is odd, one root for negative even powers, and no roots for negative odd powers. The proof involves using Euler's formula and the fact that e^{i\theta} is periodic.
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
if
[tex]a^k =1[/tex]
and
[tex]a \in \mathbb{C}[/tex]
[tex]k \in Z^+[/tex]
and for some k
[tex]A = \{a|a^k = 1\}[/tex]
does
[tex]|A| = k[/tex]
?

edited: becasue the real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I googled the roots of unity and it appears that there are k kth roots of unity:

http://www.jimloy.com/algebra/roots.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
If k is the smallest such integer greater than 1 such that the statement is true, then yes. We can find a cyclic group isomorphic to the kth roots of unity, which takes a lot of typing, but I can provide if you want it.

And you posted while I was typing. Oops.

Does this hold true for any ak = x?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, so I apologise if I don't answer the question. Not every x is a root of unity. For example, the element 2 is of infinite order in C. So therefore we cannot find a k (not equal to 0) in the integers such that 2k = 1.
The group must be of finite order to be cyclic. But even this is not enough to guarantee that the group is cyclic. However, if the order of the group is prime, the group is cyclic. This is a consequence of Lagrange's theorem.
The fuss I am making about cyclic groups is because of the guaranteed existence of group isomorphisms to the kth roots of unity.

Last edited:
What I mean are there k kth roots of x, where x is a real number?

Yes, assuming that the number is not zero, there a k complex kth roots of a number. (I think this result is due to Descartes.)

If you restrict yourself to the postive reals, then there are two roots if k is even, and one if k is odd.

For the negative reals, there is one root on even powers, and no roots on odd powers.

Here's an explanation.

You're probably familiar with complex numbers written as
[tex]x+iy[/tex]
with x and y real but you should be able to see that they can also be written as
[tex]r * (cos \theta + i sin \theta)[/tex]
where
[tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]\theta=tan^{-1}\frac{x}{y}[/tex].

if you apply Euler's forumula, you get that
[tex]r * (cos \theta + i sin \theta)[/tex]
is equivalent to
[tex]r * e^{i\theta}[/tex]

Now, let's say we have two complex numbers:
[tex]z_1=r_1 * e^{i\theta_1}[/tex]
and
[tex]z_2=r_2 * e^{i\theta_2}[/tex]
then
[tex]z_1*z_2=r_1*r_2 * e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}[/tex]
and
[tex]z^n=r^n*e^{in\theta}[/tex]

Now, let's look at your question, given k, and a, how many distinct z are there such that
[tex]z^k={r_z}^k*e^{ik\theta_z}=a=r_a*e^{\theta_a}[/tex]
I'm not going to get into the proof that there is only one solution for [tex]r_z[/tex], or that it exists, here.

Now, since [tex]e^{i\theta}=e^{i(\theta+2n\pi)}[/tex]
there are k solutions for [tex]\theta_z[/tex] that correspond to the solutions to
[tex]\theta_z*k=\theta_a+2\pi*n[/tex]
where [tex]n[/tex] ranges over the integers from zero to k-1.

1. What is the meaning of |A| in this equation?

The symbol |A| represents the absolute value of the complex number A. This means that the magnitude or distance of A from the origin of the complex plane is being considered.

2. How is the absolute value of a complex number calculated?

The absolute value of a complex number is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. In other words, if a complex number is written as a+bi, the absolute value is √(a²+b²).

3. What does it mean for |A| to equal k in this equation?

When |A| equals k, it means that the magnitude of the complex number A is equal to the positive integer k. This means that the distance of A from the origin on the complex plane is equal to k units.

4. Can the absolute value of a complex number ever be negative?

No, the absolute value of a complex number can never be negative. It will always be a positive real number or zero.

5. How is this equation useful in mathematical applications?

This equation is useful in various mathematical applications, such as solving equations involving complex numbers, finding roots of complex numbers, and determining the distance between two complex numbers on the complex plane.