Need help on a nuclear reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of protons and neutrons being interchangeable, with one turning into the other through the release of an electron. The speaker questions the validity of this statement and wonders about the mass defect and energy released in this process. They also mention the force that holds protons and electrons together in an atom and question its magnitude compared to other fundamental forces. The conversation ends with a mention of beta decay and a possible explanation given by the speaker's teacher.
semc
I remembered my teacher once said that a proton can be a neutron or the other way round but i am not too sure about it so my friend propose that neutron --> proton + electron. i am not too sure about this so can anyone tell me if this is true.

If this is true, i calculate that the mass defect is extremely small and the energy is power raised to about negative 7 or 8. I thought that the force that holds the electrons and protons within an atom is one of the four fundamental forces? Is it possible that the force is that small in magnitude :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Not very sure but i think he mention something about 'some reaction' in the nucleus and cause the change??

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in a change in its atomic number, mass number, or energy state.

2. What are the different types of nuclear reactions?

There are two main types of nuclear reactions: fission and fusion. Fission is the splitting of a heavy nucleus into two or more lighter nuclei, while fusion is the combining of two or more lighter nuclei into a heavier nucleus.

3. How are nuclear reactions used?

Nuclear reactions are used in a variety of ways, including energy production, medical treatments, and scientific research. Nuclear power plants use fission reactions to generate electricity, while fusion reactions are being studied as a potential future energy source. Nuclear reactions are also used in medical imaging and cancer treatments.

4. What are the potential dangers of nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions can be dangerous due to the release of radiation. If not properly controlled, this radiation can have harmful effects on living organisms and the environment. Nuclear reactions also produce radioactive waste, which must be carefully managed to prevent long-term health and environmental risks.

5. How do scientists study and control nuclear reactions?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study and control nuclear reactions. These include particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. To ensure safe and controlled reactions, scientists also use safety protocols and specialized equipment to monitor and regulate the process.