First Order System's Time Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the units of the time constant (tau) in a first order system's transfer function. The units for tau are typically seconds, but there is confusion about whether it should have units of seconds or seconds per radian in certain situations. The s-plane units are also discussed, with the conclusion that it can be taken as Hz, but there may be a need for conversion in certain cases. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a question about the relationship between time constant and frequency, with no clear answer given.
yanaibarr
Hello,
I have a question on a the units of a first order system's time constant.
If i have a first order system the basic transfer function will be:
K/(tau*s+1)
where K is the Gain, and tau is the system's time constant.
tau's units, according to what I've learned, are [sec].
but aren't the s plane's units in [rad/sec] (s=jw+sigma)?
That means that tau should be given in [sec/rad] to match the "1"-'s units in the transfer function.
I know that rad can be considered "unitless" but when dealing with actual numbers it matters if the system's time constant is 1 [sec] or 1[sec/rad]= 2*pi [sec].

My question is specifically about the units of tau in the transfer function,
not when it is used in the decay rate of e (e^(-t/tau)), there it has to be sec.

I'll appreciate a clarification.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello yanaibarr! welcome to pf! :wink:

tau is always in seconds …

the difference between radians and (eg) degrees is absorbed into the k :smile:

tiny-tim said:

No, one may use any unit for tau. For exponential decay, Ae^(-t/tau), the exponent (-t/tau) should be unit-less.

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:

Thanks for he replay.
One more question about it,
if tau's units should be seconds, then the s-plane units should be Hz [1/s].
According to what I've learned, the s-plane's units are [rad/sec] (s=jw+sigma).
Can i take the s-plane's units as Hz?

I tried working with an actual differential equation, and according to it the s-plane's units will always be [1/sec], because the s represents the derivative.
If it's so, when do i use the [rad/sec] units and when [Hz] in the s-plane?

Thanks,

Yanai barr

sorry, i don't know, i haven't come across the s-plane :redface:

yanaibarr said:
tiny-tim said:
tau is always in seconds …Thanks for he replay.
One more question about it,
if tau's units should be seconds, then the s-plane units should be Hz [1/s].
According to what I've learned, the s-plane's units are [rad/sec] [tex](s=j\omega+\sigma)[/tex].
Can i take the s-plane's units as Hz?

I tried working with an actual differential equation, and according to it the s-plane's units will always be [1/sec], because the s represents the derivative.
If it's so, when do i use the [rad/sec] units and when [Hz] in the s-plane?

Thanks,

Yanai barr

[tex]\omega [/tex] has units of [tex] \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex] (s = jw+sigma) , Hz has units of [tex] \frac{1}{s}[/tex] so the connection you made between the derivative, 1/s and, Hz for the s domain is correct.

tiny-tim said:
sorry, i don't know, i haven't come across the s-plane :redface:

The s-plane is what u get after using the Laplace Transform.

viscousflow said:
yanaibarr said:
[tex]\omega [/tex] has units of [tex] \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex] (s = jw+sigma) , Hz has units of [tex] \frac{1}{s}[/tex] so the connection you made between the derivative, 1/s and, Hz for the s domain is correct.

Thank u for the reply ,
but Hz [1/s] and omega's units [rad/s] are not the same, u should divide\multiply it by 2*pi.
This is exactly my question, the units don't match (according to the theory I've learned).
In theoretical problems it doesn't matter, but when i use actual numbers i need to decide how to use the data, and how to convert the units accordingly.

Yanai Barr

I've stumbled at the same problem. All learning materials seem to expose the concept but none gives example with exact units.

So, if I want a frequency break at 1 Hz, should I write 1/(s+1) or 1/(s+2Pi)? Second seems more plausible. However, when Laplace-transfromed, it gives e-2pi t meaning that time constant is T = 1/2pi. Yet, I'm customed that periods are measured in seconds rather than seconds per radian. I mean that 2pi is not usually a part of period. But, wikipedia article on time constant does not clarify what are the units.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=516891"

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is a First Order System's Time Constant?

A First Order System's Time Constant is a measure of the time it takes for the system to reach a new steady-state value after a sudden change in input. It is denoted by the symbol τ and is typically represented in units of seconds.

How is the First Order System's Time Constant calculated?

The First Order System's Time Constant can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the system's gain (K) multiplied by its time constant (T). Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = 1/KT.

What is the significance of the First Order System's Time Constant?

The First Order System's Time Constant provides valuable information about the response time of a system. A smaller time constant indicates a faster response time, while a larger time constant indicates a slower response time. It also helps in understanding the stability and performance of a system.

How is the First Order System's Time Constant affected by changes in the system parameters?

The First Order System's Time Constant is directly affected by changes in the system's gain (K) and time constant (T). An increase in the gain or time constant will result in a longer time constant, whereas a decrease will result in a shorter time constant.

What is the relationship between the First Order System's Time Constant and the system's settling time?

The settling time of a system is directly related to the First Order System's Time Constant. A smaller time constant will result in a shorter settling time, while a larger time constant will result in a longer settling time. This relationship is important in understanding the dynamic behavior of a system.