String theory in one sentence please

In summary, my teacher told me that in my essay I need to briefly describe string theory (...) and by briefly she told me 1 sentence. She also said that every physical theory is a failed attempt to describe phenomena eventually. String theory is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality and has no empirical support yet.
Entropee
Gold Member
My teacher told me that in my essay I need to briefly describe string theory (because I'm talking about how the LHC is a good test for string theory) and by briefly she told me 1 sentence.

If anyone could tell me how THEY would describe string theory in 1 sentence that would be much appreciated!

-Gavin

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try it:

String theory tries to construct a supersymmetric framework in 10 (11) dimensions from which all known elementary particles and interactions including gravity emerge (uniquely) from the modes of an one-dimensional, vibrating string.

The "trial" is bold bevcause up to now they did not succeed; "uniquely" is in brackets because there are indications that the theory is by no means unique; some string theorists try to find a selection principe, some others simpy believe in the anthropic principle; "11" is in brackets because there are indications that the theory has a dual description in 11 dimensions; I leave out certain subtleties like higher-dimensional objects, p-branes etc.

Let's discuss it ...

Heh, thanks Tom, the only problem with yours is it's too complicated for my class. I have been coming up with things along those lines but I realize I have to "dumb it down" a lot, considering it's english class, not physics class haha.

Thanks though, I might use the part about particles and interactions emerging from different dimensions.

Last edited:
Let me try:

According to string theory, elementary particles are not really pointlike, but have a shape of a short string, too short to be visible with present technology.

Is that dumb enough?

String theory is another failed attempt to describe everything without any experimental background.

Entropee said:
My teacher told me that in my essay I need to briefly describe string theory (...) and by briefly she told me 1 sentence.

Entropee said:
I realize I have to "dumb it down" a lot, considering it's english class, not physics class haha.

Don't we love humanists?

Bob_for_short said:
String theory is another failed attempt to describe everything without any experimental background.

Thats a bold statement.

BigFairy said:
Thats a bold statement.

And as time passes by, it seems more plausible.

Besides, every physical theory is a failed attmept to describe phenomena eventually.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
...Besides, every physical theory is a failed attmept to describe phenomena eventually.

Not to that extent.

Let us look at the Newton's second law: ma = F. It is a generalization of many experimental data. Look at the Hook's law: F = -kx. It is also an experimental fact for elastic bodies. Remember PV=NT, I=U/R, q=-λT (for heat flux), etc. Each physical law has its domain of application where all involved letters are physically meaningfull. Another matter these laws are not universal, they all have limited ranges of validity.

The usual geometry is a generalization of experimental facts too.

It is a big mistake to think that one can start from ungrounded postulates or axioms and obtain some reality. What is obtained in this way is mathematical sequences of mathematical postulates, nothing else. String theory is just a mathematical exercise with big but unfounded claims. No wonder it resulted in nothing physical.

Last edited:
Bob_for_short said:
1 Each physical law has its domain of application where all involved letters are physically meaningfull. Another matter these laws are not universal, they all have limited ranges of validity.

2 It is a big mistake to think that one can start from ungrounded postulates or axioms and obtain some reality.

3 What is obtained in this way is a mathematical sequences of mathematical postulats, nothing else

1 Yes, if we look retrospectively.
But TOE, by definition, should not be limited to any domain

2 It is an exact program of MUH, called "physics from scratch"

3 mathematics IS physics!

Dmitry67 said:
...mathematics IS physics!

So let us force the Nature to obey our mathematical fantasies ?

I don't want to touch (again) the MUH, but at least agree that when we talk about TOE we must be ready that it will be a very final step in a sequence of the infinite reduction.

Dmitry67 said:
...agree that when we talk about TOE we must be ready that it will be a very final step in a sequence of the infinite reduction.

So we observe a rush of geniuses: who first will guess the TOE. It is very near! One more patch and here it is!

YES
I don't share your sarcasm.

And I do not like to fool myself.

String is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality. It is not provably wrong [and may never be], but, empirically unsatisfying thus far. It explains some observations, mostly at the quantum level, but otherwise has no compelling observational support.

Chronos said:
String is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality.

What a nonsense. Of course string theory is built on physical principles. Only because most people don't understand the mathematical language in terms of which these physical principles are formulated, they confuse it with "pure" mathematics. Such comments just reveal ignorance.

Chronos said:
String is a purely mathematical attempt to model reality.
It is not more "purely mathematical" than, e.g., general relativity.

Bob_for_short said:
Not to that extent.

Let us look at the Newton's second law: ma = F. It is a generalization of many experimental data. Look at the Hook's law: F = -kx. It is also an experimental fact for elastic bodies. Remember PV=NT, I=U/R, q=-λT (for heat flux), etc. Each physical law has its domain of application where all involved letters are physically meaningfull. Another matter these laws are not universal, they all have limited ranges of validity.

The usual geometry is a generalization of experimental facts too.

It is a big mistake to think that one can start from ungrounded postulates or axioms and obtain some reality. What is obtained in this way is mathematical sequences of mathematical postulates, nothing else. String theory is just a mathematical exercise with big but unfounded claims. No wonder it resulted in nothing physical.

That's what I meant, we first were accustomed to the notion that Newton's laws describes everything, but with time we've seen that it's limited in scope, and then it was substitued with Einstein's GR, and thus only mathematical theories are timeless as opposed to physical theories which change with time.

I think Chronos sums it up well.

Bob_for_short said:
There are counter-examples to your claim.
For example, Yang-Mills theories (non-abelian gauge theories generalizing quantum electrodynamics) were postulated merely by mathematical beauty. Later it turned out that they describe something physical - strong and electroweak interactions.

BigFairy said:
I think Chronos sums it up well.
Chronos does not sum up the string theory at all. His "explanation" can be applied to at least a dozen of theories that have nothing to do with string theory. He said absolutely nothing that refers specifically to string theory and not to some other theory.

Likewise, if your homework in the history class is to explain who Hitler was, you may say:
"He was a very bad guy who made a lot of bad stuff.",
but it will not explain Hitler at all. This explanation can be applied to many other people as well.

Demystifier said:
It is not more "purely mathematical" than, e.g., general relativity.
And GR experience is, of course, a perfect model for following, isn't it?

You know, transition to an accelerated reference frame does not change the geometry, in particular, the space or space-time curvature R. It is true in both Galilean and Minkowski space-times. Introduction of the space-time curvature (i.e. a Riemann space-time) was not necessary to describe the gravity in the relativistic theory.

Rejection of the plane (Minkowski) space-time in GR means at least:

1) Rejection of additive conservation laws,

2) Describing the gravitational filed as a geometrical feature of space-time rather than as a physical field, for example, carrying the energy-momentum when radiated.

At the same time the theory can be formulated in the Minkowski space-time without loosing the conservation laws and with describing the gravity as a physical field (RTG of A. Logunov’s). Do you feel a difference? Is there any experiment contradicting the additive conservation laws? So the GR is a bright example of how far one can be misled with non-physical principles implemented in the theory.
MathematicalPhysicist said:
That's what I meant, we first were accustomed to the notion that Newton's laws describes everything, but with time we've seen that it's limited in scope, and then it was substituted with Einstein's GR, and thus only mathematical theories are timeless as opposed to physical theories which change with time.

You forgot to underline why the "mathematical theories" are timeless - there is no motivation to change them because they are not supposed to describe the experimental data. As soon as you compare a "mathematical theory" with experiments, you are obliged to modify some principles in order to take into account correctly the experimental data.
Demystifier said:
There are counter-examples to your claim.
For example, Yang-Mills theories (non-abelian gauge theories generalizing quantum electrodynamics) were postulated merely by mathematical beauty. Later it turned out that they describe something physical - strong and electroweak interactions.

Another bright example of postulating or axiomatization of something physically non-motivated. Indeed QED has conceptual and mathematical difficulties. It does not work without renormalizations. The local gauge invariance principle leads exactly to these difficulties. Yet one generalizes it to other symmetries, and why? In order to introduce interaction. But there are other ways of introducing interaction and the "gauge" way is not the only one.

Now, we have to live with those singularities, worm holes, and rotten apples as if it is something inevitable.

Briefly, there are good and bad examples to follow in the physics history.

Borek said:
Don't we love humanists?

Nope, a humanist would try a more complicated kafkakantiesque approach. Something on the line of "in string theory spatial extension is incorporated in the concept of particle, while in particle theory space is dual to the elementary entity"

Entropee said:
... (because I'm talking about how the LHC is a good test for string theory) ...

That's the main trouble with your paper, Entropee. String theorists have not made any concrete quantitative prediction which the LHC can test---and thereby test the theory. So you are basing your whole paper on a false assumption. I'll explain with some examples:

Major issues are, for example, the existence of extra dimensions and the existence of partner particles---socalled "supersymmetric" particles which have never been detected but are like shadow partners of those we know about.
Unfortunately, string theorists are not on record predicting that the LHC will detect any definite partner particles, or on the other hand predicting that the LHC will NOT. They don't predict either way. So LHC finding or not finding would not prove anything.

Unfortunately too, they do not make any definite prediction about LHC finding evidence of extra dimensions. They don't say it will and they don't say it won't. So nothing LHC is expected to be able to do, when they get it working, can actually test the validity of string thinking.

Tom Stoer gave you a good brief summary at the very start of your thread:

tom.stoer said:

String theory tries to construct a supersymmetric framework in 10 (11) dimensions from which all known elementary particles and interactions including gravity emerge (uniquely) from the modes of an one-dimensional, vibrating string.

The [word "tries" is in bold letters] because up to now they did not succeed; "uniquely" is in brackets because there are indications that the theory is by no means unique...

Entropee said:
...thanks Tom, the only problem with yours is it's too complicated for my class. I have been coming up with things along those lines but I realize I have to "dumb it down" a lot, considering it's english class...

Tom's description is already as simple as it can be. You don't want to "dumb it down". You want to unpack it and make it understandable. That means put it in the context of two other sentences, so that the sentence about string can be simple. Set up the context first.

"The aim of particle physics is to explain the list of fundamental particles and describe their interactions---construct a theoretical framework where you can so-to-speak "turn the crank" and out will come the list of known particles together with formulas describing them (masses, charges) and their interactions (forces, how they decay, how they react with each other)."

So far you have not used up your sentence about string theory because this sentence only sets the scene. It is not about string theory. It is a general statement that applies to all theoretical particle physics, whatever the approach. Now you can say what string is, in one sentence.

"String is an approach which tries to do this by representing particles as small flexible objects instead of points."

Now you have given a simple one-sentence definition and you can, if you want, say something about the string theoretical framework. This is not definition, it is discussion of something you just defined. So the onesentence limit does not apply. You could, for example, say this:

"So far ST does not boil down to one single theory making definite quantitative predictions about future experiments. There are a number of different ST versions. But theorists have found that to make any version work they need to assume two things which the LHC can look for: socalled "supersymmetry" (abbr SUSY) and extra dimensions. SUSY just means that the known particles have some number of partners, in a definite pattern---these suspected partners have not yet shown up in the couple of decades they have been looked for. It would be a help for ST if evidence of either SUSY or extra dimensions showed up at LHC. But ST does not predict that LHC will find either, because so far it has been unable to say at what collision energy evidence might show up. So if LHC does not find evidence of SUSY or XD it wouldn't prove anything---the expected effects might still be waiting to appear at some higher collision energies which LHC cannot achieve."

Don't use any abbreviations besides "LHC" with an English teacher. I'm using abbreviations like ST, SUSY, XD to talk to you because I don't like typing and it makes it easier to read. But I advise you to write everything out, and if you give a talk, say everything: say "string theory" instead of ST, say "supersymmetry" instead of SUSY.

Last edited:
And feel free to ask again if you like.

My position is quite similar to Marcus'. But I think it's fair to start with a basic explanation of the idea and then try to figure out what went wrong. You should be prepared for the question why string theory SEEMS to FAIL, but you must not skip the explanation what the original INTENTION was!

We had a discussion which theory could repace string theory. There are a couple of interesting programs, but as far as I can see their claims are not as broad as strings.

Bob_for_short said:

Ha ha ha... Impressively accurate!

Demystifier said:
Chronos does not sum up the string theory at all. His "explanation" can be applied to at least a dozen of theories that have nothing to do with string theory. He said absolutely nothing that refers specifically to string theory and not to some other theory.

Likewise, if your homework in the history class is to explain who Hitler was, you may say:
"He was a very bad guy who made a lot of bad stuff.",
but it will not explain Hitler at all. This explanation can be applied to many other people as well.

Yes but it was all that was necessary. Maybe you misread the context of the posts.

BigFairy said:
Yes but it was all that was necessary. Maybe you misread the context of the posts.
Maybe we are not talking about the same posts. I am talking about the first one on this thread.

Anyway, if the homework is not to explain what string theory is, but to explain why string theory is bad, then I agree that the mentioned summary was good.

Demystifier said:
Maybe we are not talking about the same posts. I am talking about the first one on this thread.

Anyway, if the homework is not to explain what string theory is, but to explain why string theory is bad, then I agree that the mentioned summary was good.

There two aspects of the OP: what is a string in the string theory and does it work?

Bob_for_short said:
And GR experience is, of course, a perfect model for following, isn't it?
Exactly!

Bob_for_short said:
You know, transition to an accelerated reference frame does not change the geometry, in particular, the space or space-time curvature R. It is true in both Galilean and Minkowski space-times. Introduction of the space-time curvature (i.e. a Riemann space-time) was not necessary to describe the gravity in the relativistic theory.
Agree.

Bob_for_short said:
Rejection of the plane (Minkowski) space-time in GR means at least:

1) Rejection of additive conservation laws,

2) Describing the gravitational filed as a geometrical feature of space-time rather than as a physical field, for example, carrying the energy-momentum when radiated.
Agree.

Bob_for_short said:
At the same time the theory can be formulated in the Minkowski space-time without loosing the conservation laws and with describing the gravity as a physical field (RTG of A. Logunov’s). Do you feel a difference?
Yes I do. Still, I prefer GR because it is simpler.

Bob_for_short said:
Is there any experiment contradicting the additive conservation laws?
Is there any experiment contradicting GR?

Bob_for_short said:
Another bright example of postulating or axiomatization of something physically non-motivated. Indeed QED has conceptual and mathematical difficulties. It does not work without renormalizations. The local gauge invariance principle leads exactly to these difficulties. Yet one generalizes it to other symmetries, and why? In order to introduce interaction. But there are other ways of introducing interaction and the "gauge" way is not the only one.
Do you know an example of another way of introducing interaction that agrees with experiments in particle physics?

Bob_for_short said:
Now, we have to live with those singularities, worm holes, and rotten apples as if it is something inevitable.
No we don't. The mainstream view is that GR is only an approximation. True, we still do not know the exact theory without singularities and other pathologies. Perhaps it is something like Logunov theory. Or perhaps it is something more similar to GR. Or perhaps it is something completely different.

Bob_for_short said:
There two aspects of the OP: what is a string in the string theory and does it work?
The question "does it work" is too vague. You may say that it doesn't work because it does not yet lead to a quantitative prediction testable with current technology. Or you may say that it works because it avoids ultraviolet divergences, qualitatively predicts the observed gravitational and gauge interactions, and is not in contradiction with existing experiments. The truth is somewhere in between.

Demystifier said:
...Still, I prefer GR because it is simpler.
You yourself mention "singularities and other pathologies" that are absent in RGT. How can we count on a theory with pathologies? How can we compare the gravitational effects if they belong to different geometries? Do you like a geometry varying with time?
Do you know an example of another way of introducing interaction that agrees with experiments in particle physics?
In QED, yes, see my publications where I outlined such a way. It is quite physical.

Last edited:
Bob_for_short said:
You yourself mention "singularities and other pathologies" that are absent in RGT. How can we count on a theory with pathologies?
We can use it for weak fields where pathologies are absent.

Bob_for_short said:
How can we compare the gravitational effects if they belong to different geometries? Do you like a geometry varying with time?
I don't quite understand what are you pointing out here.

Bob_for_short said:
In QED, yes, see my publications where I outlined such a way. It is quite physical.
Have you calculated g-2 in your theory? Have you also achieved an agreement with experiments up to 10 decimals (as QED has)?