Is the World Inside a Cell Infinitely Small?

• Thread starter mim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and how it relates to the space outside and inside a room or cell. The space outside the room or cell is infinite, but the room or cell itself is not infinitely small.
mim
This has been playing on and on in my head, If you take a single cell on say my finger and you say the world outside the cell wall is infinite. Is it also the case that the world inside the cell wall infinitely small.
mim

Physics news on Phys.org
mim said:
This has been playing on and on in my head, If you take a single cell on say my finger and you say the world outside the cell wall is infinite. Is it also the case that the world inside the cell wall infinitely small.
mim
Is this a physics question or a philosophy question?

physics,

I'm not sure about this, but my understanding is that the singularity of a black hole is considered to be a mathematical point. I've seen that defined as "infinitely small", but it's a difficult concept to envision. Maybe some of the astrophysics dudes can help out on that.

mim said:
mim

The space outside the room I'm in is infinite (let's assume it is for the discussion) but that doesn't mean that the room I'm sitting in is infinitely small

Why not. It seems to me that it may just be our perception of the world is so fixed by what we see that we don't really think about what is beyond what we can see. If the worlds strongest microscrope could be increased 1000 times or what ever, I think we would continue to see some kind of independent systems, that form parts of bigger systems. I feel that perhaps what will be discovered in the future will not be all about the bigger systems in our world. Sorry if this is beginning to sound more like a philosophical thread. I am more interested in gaining an understanding using physics if possable.

Why not? Why would one say it's infinitely small? It has measurable volume.

These types of questions can be difficult to differentiate between physics and philosophy. That is, in a certain sense, they are "thought experiments" without current potential for validation.
This creates a problem, as we all know that many significant advances in physics began with "thought experiments", whereas otheres went nowhere.
Hard call.

I rather suspect that Mim is thinking along the line fictionally expressed in "The Incredible Shrinking Man", wherein atoms turned out to be miniature stellar systems, which in turn were composed of smaller "atoms" that were also even more minute solar systems, ad infinitum. Current knowledge of atomic structure and subatomic particles eliminates that possibility.
(It's still a damned entertaining story, though.)

Your skin cells don't have cell walls :tongue:

If we consider both cases where we assume outside the room or cell is infinite, while inside is either infinitely small or finite, both cases hold. Even if the room is finite you can still have infinite space outside, so making the assumption that the room inside must be infinitely small is wrong.

mim said:
mim

I would call the space inside coinfinite.

Mentallic said:
Your skin cells don't have cell walls :tongue:

Perhaps he is an Ent. You never know on the internet.

Jack21222 said:
Perhaps he is an Ent. You never know on the internet.

You're thinking of the enternet.

lisab said:
You're thinking of the enternet.

Ah! and obviously, the not infinitely minute ants are busy with the anternet.

Bloody 'ell... I've fallen into a nest of lunatics. :bugeye:

What does "infinitely minute" mean?

"Infinitely minute" refers to something that is extremely small or tiny, to the point of being immeasurable or never-ending.

Can something truly be infinitely minute?

The concept of being infinitely small or tiny is often used as a theoretical concept in mathematics and physics. In reality, there is a limit to how small something can be measured, so while something can be extremely small, it cannot truly be infinitely minute.

How is "infinitely minute" related to the concept of infinity?

The term "infinitely minute" is often used to represent the concept of approaching infinity, as something becomes smaller and smaller without ever truly reaching the point of being infinitely small.

How is "infinitely minute" used in scientific research?

The concept of being infinitely minute is often used in scientific research to represent extremely small measurements or quantities. It is also used in theoretical models and calculations to understand and explain complex systems.

What are some examples of "infinitely minute" in nature?

Examples of "infinitely minute" in nature include subatomic particles, such as electrons and quarks, which are too small to be seen with the naked eye. In astronomy, the concept is used to understand the infinitely small size of atoms and the infinitely large size of the universe.