James Cook University Online Astronomy Degree: Worth it or Not?

In summary, the conversation was about a person considering pursuing a career in astronomy and physics at James Cook University, but was skeptical about the quality of the program and its reputation. Another person in the conversation shared their positive experience in the Masters program at JCU and how it helped them in their career. However, there were also concerns raised about the program's entrance requirements and the qualifications of the professors. In the end, it was suggested that the person look into other options, such as the program at Swinburne University.
sixofnine
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum so be kind. I tried using the search function to find an answer to this question but could not dig one up. I have come to a point in my life where I need a career change I am 26 and considering a few options to shake up my life. I have long had a passion for astronomy and physics, and I regret not pursuing this area during undergraduate. Currently, I have a career (and a lot of debt from undergraduate) and I am looking to go back to school in such a fashion that will allow me to keep my current job. The main option I want to consider is pursuing astronomy...so really my question is does James Cook University's graduate degrees in astronomy carry any weight for working in this field? Or are they more of the type that just "make you feel good about being an astronomer/physicist/whatever other programs they offer"? Thanks everyone and once again sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times...couldnt find it with the search function.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had never heard of the school, so I looked it up. It looks as though you only have to complete two classes and a thesis for the PhD. The class descriptions appear to be at the introductory undergraduate level, certainly not graduate level, their only instructor does not have a PhD himself, it's entirely web-based, and most of their links don't work. It looks like they'll admit anyone to the program, regardless of math and physics background. I would say this is basically a scam. It certainly would not be taken seriously by any employer or other school.

eri said:
I had never heard of the school, so I looked it up. It looks as though you only have to complete two classes and a thesis for the PhD. The class descriptions appear to be at the introductory undergraduate level, certainly not graduate level, their only instructor does not have a PhD himself, it's entirely web-based, and most of their links don't work. It looks like they'll admit anyone to the program, regardless of math and physics background. I would say this is basically a scam. It certainly would not be taken seriously by any employer or other school.

Err, no. Perhaps you should go and reread the entry requirements:

http://www.jcu.edu.au/eps/disciplines/astronomy/JCU_080272.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, they don't seem to just let anyone in, however I have no idea how strictly they preclude people from their program. Although, from what I have read about internet programs, most tend to not be too selective. Does anyone have any experience who second hand knowledge about this program? Once again, thanks everyone

matt.o said:
Err, no. Perhaps you should go and reread the entry requirements:

http://www.jcu.edu.au/eps/disciplines/astronomy/JCU_080272.html" [Broken]

OK, that was one of the dead links I tried to click on originally. So they do have some entrance requirements. What I'm most skeptical about is what they're actually offering, especially if their own professors don't have doctorates and their classes sound like intro level undergrad courses.

To be honest I'd rather complete http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/" which features Swinburne but not JCU.

eri said:
OK, that was one of the dead links I tried to click on originally. So they do have some entrance requirements. What I'm most skeptical about is what they're actually offering, especially if their own professors don't have doctorates and their classes sound like intro level undergrad courses.

I think you need to go back and check the other links before you level any more accusations at those professors.

To the OP: you will almost certainly require a Phd in order to obtain a career in astronomy research. Note, however, that even with a Phd it is not guaranteed you will have that career!

James Cook Online Astronomy Degree

The Masters program was extensive and difficult. The work was far harder than my astronomy work at Berkeley that I did as an undergrad. My professors had PhD's. JCU is one of the better science Universities in the Southern Hemisphere. That being said, I am not sure that the program is still being offered.
I was able to apply the work that I did at JCU for use in summer work at the National Solar Observatory, so it was certainly valuable. That being said, most of the work that I did was at the University of Western Sydney, and then the program (and most of the faculty) moved over to JCU.

1. Is the James Cook University Online Astronomy Degree accredited?

Yes, the James Cook University Online Astronomy Degree is accredited by the Australian government's Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). This means that the degree meets high standards of quality and is recognized by other universities and employers.

2. What courses are included in the James Cook University Online Astronomy Degree?

The degree program includes courses on topics such as astrophysics, celestial mechanics, observational astronomy, and cosmology. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects and gain practical experience in using telescopes and other tools.

3. Can I pursue a career in astronomy with an online degree?

Yes, an online degree from James Cook University can prepare you for a career in astronomy. The program offers a rigorous curriculum that covers the fundamentals of astronomy and provides opportunities for hands-on research and practical experience. Graduates of the program have gone on to work in various fields, including research, education, and data analysis.

4. How long does it take to complete the James Cook University Online Astronomy Degree?

The program can be completed in 3 years of full-time study, or 6 years of part-time study. The length of the program may vary depending on the student's course load and individual pace.

5. What are the benefits of earning an online degree from James Cook University?

Earning an online degree from James Cook University offers flexibility and convenience, as students can complete coursework from anywhere with an internet connection. Additionally, the program provides access to world-class faculty and resources, and the degree is accredited and recognized by the Australian government. Graduates also have the opportunity to network with other professionals in the field and gain practical skills through hands-on research projects.