What is the resulting amperage from a Leyden jar discharge?

In summary, the conversation is about correctly calculating the current being created from a leyden jar. The speaker has attached a print screen of a matchcad calculation but is getting extremely high amperage. They believe their calculation is correct down to the charge but do not know how to relate it to the resulting amperage. They are seeking suggestions and it is mentioned that non-ideal components can affect the amplitude and duration of the current.
Juanka
I need to figure out how to correctly calculate the Current being created from a leyden jar I have. I am attaching a print screen of a matchcad calculation that shows what I have done. However, I am calculating extremely high amperage. I believe my calculation is correct down to my charge, but I do not know how to correctly relate my charge to the resulting amperage. Have a look! any suggestions please!

Attachments

• LJ.PNG
    LJ.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
If you discharge a near-ideal capacitor with an almost perfect conductor, there will be a momentary pulse of current approaching infinite amperes. Non-ideal components reduce the amplitude, and extend the duration.

1. How does a Leyden jar store and release electricity?

A Leyden jar is a type of capacitor that stores electrical charge on two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When the jar is charged, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. When the jar is discharged, the stored energy is released as a flow of electricity.

2. What is the relationship between the size of a Leyden jar and the resulting amperage?

The size of a Leyden jar, or its capacitance, determines the amount of charge it can hold. The resulting amperage, or flow of electricity, is determined by the voltage of the charge and the capacitance of the jar. A larger jar with a higher capacitance can hold more charge and thus produce a higher amperage when discharged.

3. Can a Leyden jar be dangerous to handle?

Yes, a Leyden jar can be dangerous if not handled properly. When charged, the jar can hold a significant amount of electrical energy that can cause a shock or even start a fire if discharged through a person or flammable material. It is important to discharge a Leyden jar safely and with caution.

4. How does the material between the plates affect the resulting amperage of a Leyden jar?

The material between the plates, known as the dielectric, plays a crucial role in the functioning of a Leyden jar. Different materials have different dielectric constants, which affects the capacitance of the jar. A higher dielectric constant allows for a higher capacitance and thus a higher resulting amperage.

5. What are some practical applications of Leyden jars?

Leyden jars have various practical applications, such as in electrical experiments, medical devices, and as components in electronic circuits. They can also be used in equipment that requires high voltage and short bursts of energy, such as spark gaps in lightning rods or ignition systems in internal combustion engines.