Can WIMS-D5 be run on Windows XP without the source code?

In summary, WIMS-D5 is a versatile code and platform used in the nuclear industry for various purposes such as reactor design, fuel optimization, and safety evaluations. It has features such as complex geometry and material handling, a user-friendly interface, and an extensive library of cross-section data. It is not limited to just nuclear reactors and can also be used for other types of nuclear facilities. WIMS-D5 has been extensively validated and has shown to have high accuracy, but the accuracy of results also depends on input data and user assumptions.
libertad
Hi there,
I have a version of WIMS-D5 code which cannot be run on Windows XP. Also I don't have its source code to recompile it.
Anybody has a version of WIMS_D5 which can be run on WinXP?
Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org

i have WIMS-D4 source code and WIMS-D5B exe file which can be run on Windows XP.

can its "compatibility" be set for an older version of windows?

even Qbasic will run on XP if set compatibility for '95...

My WIMS-D5 exe file can be run on Windows 7. So my problem is solved.

I am not familiar with WIMS-D5 specifically, but in general, it is not possible to run a program without its source code. The source code is necessary for the computer to understand and execute the instructions of the program. Without it, the program cannot be recompiled or modified to run on a different operating system. In this case, it appears that the version of WIMS-D5 you have is not compatible with Windows XP and without the source code, it cannot be modified to run on that operating system. It may be necessary to obtain a different version of the program that is compatible with Windows XP or to upgrade to a newer operating system.

1. What is WIMS-D5 code and platform?

WIMS-D5 is a code and platform used for nuclear reactor physics calculations. It is designed to simulate various reactor physics phenomena and can be used for design, analysis, and safety assessment of nuclear reactors.

2. What are the key features of WIMS-D5?

Some of the key features of WIMS-D5 include its ability to handle complex geometries and materials, its user-friendly interface, and its extensive library of cross-section data for various materials. It also has capabilities for thermal-hydraulic analysis and fuel burn-up calculations.

3. How is WIMS-D5 used in the nuclear industry?

WIMS-D5 is used in the nuclear industry for a variety of purposes, such as designing new reactors, optimizing fuel compositions, and performing safety evaluations. It is also used for research and development of new nuclear technologies.

4. Is WIMS-D5 only used for nuclear reactors?

No, WIMS-D5 can also be used for other types of nuclear facilities, such as research reactors and nuclear waste management facilities. It is a versatile code and platform that can be applied to a wide range of nuclear applications.

5. How accurate is WIMS-D5?

WIMS-D5 has been extensively validated against experimental data and has been shown to have high accuracy in predicting various reactor physics parameters. However, as with any modeling and simulation tool, the accuracy of results also depends on the quality of input data and assumptions made by the user.