What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,446
Evo said:
Please explain, I love pancakes and I love oysters.
Oysters, rice flour, eggs, and spinach or other veggie. The cheese is called Saga Classic Blue Brie by a company called Arla Foods from the French Quarter of Basking Ridge, NJ.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,447
Jimmy, is this like what you are referring to?

http://www.chezpei.com/2007/01/taiwanese-oyster-pancake.html

• #4,448
Evo said:
Jimmy, is this like what you are referring to?

http://www.chezpei.com/2007/01/taiwanese-oyster-pancake.html
Yes, that's it.

• #4,449
this sounds interesting. I love Vietnamese pancakes. Have to try to find a recipe for them.

• #4,450
OK, time to put Chicken Soup in a single post (with details) so that people can try it out. first off, my wife and I prefer dark meat, so she usually looks for deals on thighs or legs, but this will work well for whole chickens, too. Rub your chicken/chicken parts with powdered sage, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and salt. Place the chicken in a metal pan coated with olive oil, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and put that pan into a preheated oven at about 350 deg. When the chicken is nearly done (use a meat thermometer) take off the foil and cook for a while longer (this is when I activate the convection feature on our oven) to brown the skin.

After enjoying your supper of roast chicken, it's time to make soup. Put a bit of water in your roasting pan and heat it on the range to lift the juices, fats, bits of skin, etc, and dump the contents into your stock pot. Strip off all the skin from the remaining chicken and throw that in the stock pot. Strip all the meat from the bones and reserve the meat. Clip the large bones with poultry shears and put all the bones in the stock pot. Now is a good time to look ahead to vegetables and use those, too. Chop off the bases and tops of celery stalks, the tips and tops of carrots, etc, and throw those into the stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer all of that for a few hours. Your house should smell really good, especially if it's winter and you've had to shovel snow or some other onerous chore.

After a couple of hours, it's time to get ready to make soup. Take the reserved chicken meat and chop it up and put it into a large bowl. Get out at least a couple of cloves of fresh garlic and crush that into the bowl. Get out some fresh onions (I prefer yellow onions) and chop those and add them to the bowl. Grab the celery and carrots that you trimmed earlier, chop them, and add those to the bowl. Time to chop a a potato or two (depending on the potential size of the soup) and add that to the bowl, too.

Put a colander into a large pot in your sink and pour the contents of the stock pot into it. This let's you separate the skin, bones, and vegetable scraps from the tasty stock quickly. Take the large pot (with the stock) out of the sink, and put it on the range and heat it gently and immediately add all the contents of the bowl (diced chicken, vegetables, etc) cover and simmer. In a couple of hours, you'll have the best chicken soup you have ever tasted. There is some time involved, but the time is mostly in roasting, simmering, and simmering the final product, so it's not like you are tied up all day.

• #4,451
turbo said:
OK, time to put Chicken Soup in a single post (with details) so that people can try it out. first off, my wife and I prefer dark meat, so she usually looks for deals on thighs or legs, but this will work well for whole chickens, too. Rub your chicken/chicken parts with powdered sage, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and salt. Place the chicken in a metal pan coated with olive oil, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and put that pan into a preheated oven at about 350 deg. When the chicken is nearly done (use a meat thermometer) take off the foil and cook for a while longer (this is when I activate the convection feature on our oven) to brown the skin.

After enjoying your supper of roast chicken, it's time to make soup. Put a bit of water in your roasting pan and heat it on the range to lift the juices, fats, bits of skin, etc, and dump the contents into your stock pot. Strip off all the skin from the remaining chicken and throw that in the stock pot. Strip all the meat from the bones and reserve the meat. Clip the large bones with poultry shears and put all the bones in the stock pot. Now is a good time to look ahead to vegetables and use those, too. Chop off the bases and tops of celery stalks, the tips and tops of carrots, etc, and throw those into the stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer all of that for a few hours. Your house should smell really good, especially if it's winter and you've had to shovel snow or some other onerous chore.

After a couple of hours, it's time to get ready to make soup. Take the reserved chicken meat and chop it up and put it into a large bowl. Get out at least a couple of cloves of fresh garlic and crush that into the bowl. Get out some fresh onions (I prefer yellow onions) and chop those and add them to the bowl. Grab the celery and carrots that you trimmed earlier, chop them, and add those to the bowl. Time to chop a a potato or two (depending on the potential size of the soup) and add that to the bowl, too.

Put a colander into a large pot in your sink and pour the contents of the stock pot into it. This let's you separate the skin, bones, and vegetable scraps from the tasty stock quickly. Take the large pot (with the stock) out of the sink, and put it on the range and heat it gently and immediately add all the contents of the bowl (diced chicken, vegetables, etc) cover and simmer. In a couple of hours, you'll have the best chicken soup you have ever tasted. There is some time involved, but the time is mostly in roasting, simmering, and simmering the final product, so it's not like you are tied up all day.
Wow, that puts my chicken soup to shame, I've got to try your recipe, sounds much more savory than what I've been making. I think you've nailed it. If it's as good as it sounds, I'm stealing your recipe and entering a cooking contest. :wink: I'm all for savory. Hopefully I can make that tomorrow during chat. I agree on the dark meat. I've noticed that after all of these years of cooks touting boneless, skinless chicken breasts, that they switched to touting dark meat for flavor and moisture.

• #4,452
Yep (about the breast meat). When my wife gets a deal on whole chickens, I always roast them breast-down so that some of the fats and oils from the dark meat will migrate down to the white meat and keep the breasts from drying out and getting tough. We prefer legs and thighs, though. That's where all the flavor is, and that makes the best soup.

When Campbells or Progresso touts the breast-meat in their chicken soups, I have to wonder what geniuses are behind their ad-campaigns. Don't people actually cook chickens and taste them?

• #4,453
turbo said:
When Campbells or Progresso touts the breast-meat in their chicken soups, I have to wonder what geniuses are behind their ad-campaigns. Don't people actually cook chickens and taste them?
The pieces of white meat are like chunks of cardboard, I give them to the Fruit Bat, they're just dry and tasteless.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting that people can't prefer white meat or that people shouldn't eat it. (lest I get condemned for stating my personal preferences) :rolleyes:

• #4,454
Here we go, from the America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2001 - 2012, page 387,
Stir Fried Chicken and Zucchini with Ginger Sauce

(to make slicing chicken easier, freeze for 15 minutes, serve with basic white rice)

Sauce:

• 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Chicken and Vegetables:

• 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed sliced
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tavlespoon dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
  • 3 mediun garlic cloves, minced or pressed, about 1 tablespoon
  • 2 scallions, white parts only minced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch long matchsticks
  • 1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
Sauce:

Combine all sauce ingredients in bowl, set aside.

Chicken and Vegetables:

Toss the chicken with soy sauce, sherry in a bowl and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to an hour. In a large bowl, whisk sesame oil, cornstarch, flour. In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of peanut oil, ginger, garlic, and scallions.

Stir the marinated into the sesame oil-cornstarch mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons more peanut oil in non-stick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add chicken, break up clumps, cook without stirring until meat is browned at the edges, about 1 minute (it took longer for me). Stir the chicken until cooked through, about 1 minute (again, it took longer, I should have made it crisper). Transfer chicken to bowl, cover with foil.

Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to skillet, turn to high heat until just smoking. Add carrots, cook until they begin to soften. Add bell pepper and cook until spotty brown, add zucchini and cook until tender.

Clear center of skillet, add ginger mixture, mashing it into the pan, until fragrant. Sitr ginger mixture into the vegetables.

Stir in the chicken with juices. Whisk sauce to combine, toss constantly until sauce is thickened. Serve and enjoy.

Hope you like it. Report back if you do.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/528/dinner1s.jpg [Broken]

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/325/dinner2.jpg [Broken]

Rhody... :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,455
Has anyone tried or is planning to try the recipe I posted above ?

Rhody...

• #4,456
rhody said:
Has anyone tried or is planning to try the recipe I posted above ?

Rhody...
I will probably try it, sounds yummy.

I've been watching Cook's Country & America's Test Kitchen for a long time (same people). I also watch episodes I've missed online. They are the best. I love their equipment comparisons.

• #4,457
What do you guys think of garlic that has started to sprout? I heard in a television show that the sprout is responsible for the bad smell of garlic and that it should be removed. Is there any truth in that?

• #4,458
I grow and store a lot of garlic, and after a long winter, some of the garlic will start to sprout. Generally, I will slice each clove in half and discard the sprouts, then process the garlic as usual. Frankly, I don't know why I remove sprouts, since in the late spring when the growing garlic develops curly scapes, I harvest those and use them in stir-fries. The scapes are a bit more pungent than the cloves - with a taste similar to green onions.

Come to think of it, when white or yellow onions start to sprout, I'll slice them in half and discard those sprouts, too.

• #4,459
turbo said:
I grow and store a lot of garlic, and after a long winter, some of the garlic will start to sprout. Generally, I will slice each clove in half and discard the sprouts, then process the garlic as usual. Frankly, I don't know why I remove sprouts, since in the late spring when the growing garlic develops curly scapes, I harvest those and use them in stir-fries. The scapes are a bit more pungent than the cloves - with a taste similar to green onions.

Come to think of it, when white or yellow onions start to sprout, I'll slice them in half and discard those sprouts, too.
I like the sprouts and include them. Of course, I'm cheap. Potato sprouts I remove though.

• #4,460
So, Evo Child bought me a small box of instant rice.

What do I do with instant rice?

• #4,461
Evo said:
So, Evo Child bought me a small box of instant rice.

What do I do with instant rice?

Feed the squirrels?

• #4,462
lisab said:
Feed the squirrels?
Not good. Uncooked instant rice can kill birds and small animals when it absorbs water from their bodies and blocks their GI tract.

• #4,463
Return it?

• #4,464
Rice art? Though I guess your daughters are too old for that.

• #4,465
turbo said:
Not good. Uncooked instant rice can kill birds and small animals when it absorbs water from their bodies and blocks their GI tract.

I didn't know that! Thanks turbo.

• #4,466
Bury it?

I do have an old recipe for creole porkchops that uses instant rice and it's really delicious, but I have no pork chops. :frown:

• #4,467
Gad said:
I didn't know that! Thanks turbo.
Instant rice absorbs water much more easily than conventional rice, and can quickly kill small critters.

• #4,468
Cook it with chicken broth instead of water.

Then, once it's cooked, it should be safe for critters.

• #4,469
turbo said:
Instant rice absorbs water much more easily than conventional rice, and can quickly kill small critters.
But squirrels love corn flakes and rice krispies.

• #4,470
Evo said:
But squirrels love corn flakes and rice krispies.
Yep, but those are low-density grain products. Feed those same critters high-density foods with a high affinity to water, and you'll kill some critters.

• #4,471
Jimmy Snyder said:
... We just use Kraft Parmesan cheese for pasta...
My buddy calls it "shake cheese." For some reason that cracks me up.

• #4,472
  • #4,473
There is a big difference between uncooked rice and uncooked instant rice that has been milled and processed to absorb water as rapidly as possible. I am quite willing to be proven wrong, but I really don't want to hurt birds and small animals.

• #4,474
It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.

• #4,475
Jimmy Snyder said:
It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.
Ouch.

• #4,476
I'll check on the rice thing further. There is a similar idea that beet pulp which is the remains of sugar beets after the sugar is removed, will do the same thing to horses. It does expand hugely when you add water to it but the vet sites tell you that it can be fed dry with no problems. Some horses are very very stupid about eating though and will choke on almost anything because they inhale huge quantities so one doesn't feed anything in large quantities to a strange horse. There is also the suggestion that you put large rocks in the food dish of a gulping type horse to slow them down. Obviously large enough so they don't eat them or break their teeth.

Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.

• #4,477
Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.

I did that once when very, very drunk. I popped two in my mouth and tried to swallow them using a water fountain. They fizzed in my throat for a long, long time.

• #4,478
How to make guacamole:

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?</h2><p>1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.</p><p>2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.</p><p>3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.</p><p>4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?</p><p>No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.</p><p>5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.</p>

What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?

The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.

3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.

4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?

No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.

5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.