Struggling with Math Assignments? What Should I Do?

• Thread starter ltjrpliskin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is in their first year of undergrad studies and has found Term 1 to be easy but is struggling with Term 2. They are having difficulty solving problems on assignments and are feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. The advice given is to form a study group, ask questions in class, and seek external help if needed. It is common for students to struggle in college and there is no shame in seeking assistance.
ltjrpliskin
Hey guys, I'm currently in my first year of undergrad studies.
Term 1 was quite enjoyable and easy... but now i am near the end of term 2 and it is getting very difficult - we get assignment after assignment after assignment... this doesn't really bother me - what bothers me the most is that I find it very difficult to solve any of the problems on the assignment sheets.

I keep trying as hard as I can to solve them but it keeps beating me down... and its starting to get kind of depressing.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm really confused and not really sure what's going on..

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
form a small study group of people at about the same level and work out some of the harder problems. and ask questions in class, and go to office hours.

it is very common for good students to hit a wall about now in college because college is harder than high school. and good students especially are not used to having trouble, so they are ashamed to aSK QUESTIONS, GO FOR HELP, work together, etc...

Absolutely echo mathwonks advice.

If you have to get something from an external source, then do so.

Yep, I agree. Talk to your professor or TA, get together a study group, or see if your university offers tutoring or help sessions. There's really no shame in it--I've known junior math majors to get independent tutoring for hard classes. Sometimes you just need to bang your head against it with someone there to help you along.

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with your math assignments and feeling overwhelmed. It is completely normal to feel this way, especially as you progress through your studies and the material becomes more challenging.

Firstly, I want to encourage you to not give up and keep trying. It may feel discouraging now, but with practice and determination, you will eventually overcome these challenges. Remember that every problem you solve is a step towards improving your math skills.

Here are some tips that may help you:

1. Seek help from your professor or teaching assistant. Don't hesitate to ask for clarification or additional guidance on the assignments. They are there to help you and want you to succeed.

2. Form a study group with your classmates. Working together and discussing problems can often lead to a better understanding of the material.

3. Practice regularly and don't wait until the last minute to start on assignments. This will give you more time to seek help if needed and allow you to work through problems at a slower pace.

4. Utilize online resources such as Khan Academy or YouTube tutorials to supplement your learning.

5. Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it's okay to make mistakes. Learn from them and keep moving forward.

I hope these tips help you in your studies. Remember to stay positive and keep pushing through. You got this!

1. Why do some people have trouble coping with Maths?

There are many reasons why someone may struggle with Maths. It could be due to a learning disability, a lack of understanding or interest in the subject, or a negative past experience with Maths. Additionally, some people may simply have a different learning style that makes it more challenging for them to understand mathematical concepts.

2. How can I improve my Maths skills?

Improving your Maths skills takes time and practice. One way to improve is by seeking help from a tutor or teacher who can provide personalized instruction. Additionally, practicing regularly with different types of problems and using resources such as online tutorials or educational apps can also be beneficial.

3. Is it normal to struggle with Maths?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with Maths. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and Maths may not come naturally to some people. It is important to remember that with effort and determination, anyone can improve their Maths skills.

4. What can I do if I am falling behind in my Maths class?

If you are falling behind in your Maths class, it is important to communicate with your teacher or tutor. They can provide additional resources and support to help you catch up. It may also be helpful to review previous material and practice problems on your own time.

5. How can I overcome my fear of Maths?

It is common for people to have a fear or dislike of Maths, but it is important to remember that it is just a subject and not something to be afraid of. One way to overcome this fear is by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. It may also be helpful to work with a supportive teacher or tutor who can guide you through challenging concepts.