How does Professor Splash work?

In summary, Professor Splash uses an airbag and pad beneath a pool of water to provide the illusion that he is being stopped by a foot of water. However, the water has only a 43% role in the stopping of his fall.
12markkram34
How does "Professor Splash" work?

So there is a daredevil named "Professor Splash" who is known for diving (belly flopping) from over 30 feet into a foot or less of water. You can find more information about him below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Splash

http://scienceblogs.com/dotphysics/2008/11/the-physics-of-professor-splashs-jump-into-1-foot-of-water.php

Now the second link got me really intrigued. I have taken a mechanics course, so I mostly understand the discussion of how the work-energy theorem, impulse, etc. work in his jumps, but the one thing I don't understand is what realistically determines the impulse the water exerts on him.

Sure, you can take his speed, mass, and the height of the water (1 foot), and divide them to determine the impulse the water would have to exert on him to completely stop his fall, but why does the water provide that needed force? What's to say that the water doesn't just provide half the force and thus not decelerate him completely, leaving him to splatter into the ground, albeit at a reduced velocity? Is there something I'm missing here? I suppose it would have to do with the surface tension of water being able to supply up to so much force per square inch of surface area? And if so, how would you go about calculating it realistically, since realism would logically entail a stronger force for only a portion of the distance (not actually using the entire 1 foot of water in reality). How would professional physicists calculate such a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks as if the pool is not resting not on a solid surface but is on a pad of some sort and an air bag underneath. So while he may hit the water and make a big splash, a lot of the energy of his fall is absorbed, if that is a good word, by what is underneath the pool.

Oh so he's probably a phony?

Yeah, there are two thick pads under that pool - more than a foot of cushion.

Define "phony". He does what he says he does. He's not obliged to explain every aspect of it.

Definitely a phony. Using the name Professor Splash instead of Professor Air Bag shows that he wants you to think he is being stopped by a foot of water, and that is where the amazement factor lies. He could just as well get rid of the water and jump onto only the air bag, but that would not be very impressive at all because then you realize that the water has nothing to do with it.

For example, if I placed a huge spring-board on the ground, covered it with root beer, than proceeded to call myself Professor Root Beer because I had perfected the technique of jumping very high off of root beer, there definitely be something deceptive in my proceedings.

chrisbaird said:
... the water has nothing to do with it.

The water has about 43% to do with it.

He's got about 8" of airbag, 8" of pad and 12" of water to stop his fall.

DaveC426913 said:
The water has about 43% to do with it.

He's got about 8" of airbag, 8" of pad and 12" of water to stop his fall.

Thanks, I exaggerated. But there is still an element of deception in his whole presentation that takes advantage of those less scientifically versed.

Yeah, in fact, it makes one wonder if he spent a little time toying with the values to optimize the gimmick.
"Hm. I could claim to dive into one inch of water, but that would mean my airbag and pad would have to be 27 inches thick. A little obvious, even to the layperson. Or I could minimize the underlay, down to 4 inches, but then I'd have to declare I'm diving into 2 full feet of water - not so impressive-sounding... Hmmmm..."

1. How does Professor Splash dive into such shallow water without getting hurt?

Professor Splash uses a technique called "flat-surface diving" which involves spreading his body out completely flat and entering the water at a precise angle. This helps distribute the impact of the dive across a larger surface area, allowing him to safely dive into shallow water.

2. How does Professor Splash hold his breath for so long?

Professor Splash practices a special breathing technique called "buccal pumping" which allows him to exchange oxygen from his cheeks and mouth while holding his breath. He also undergoes rigorous training and exercises to increase his lung capacity and endurance.

3. What is the purpose of the protective gear and mats used in Professor Splash's performances?

The protective gear and mats are used to minimize the impact and prevent any injuries that may occur during Professor Splash's dives. The gear also helps him maintain proper form and control during the dive.

4. How does Professor Splash calculate the depth of the water before diving?

Professor Splash carefully measures the depth of the water and calculates the angle of his dive using mathematical equations and precise measurements. He also takes into account other factors such as wind and water currents to ensure a safe and successful dive.

5. How does Professor Splash train for his diving performances?

Professor Splash undergoes intense physical and mental training to prepare for his dives. This includes strength and endurance exercises, breathing techniques, and practicing dives in different conditions to improve his skills and technique.