Using accelerometer to detect moving/stationary at sea on a vessel

In summary, the conversation is about using an accelerometer on a ship to detect its movements. The individual is facing difficulties as the accelerometer shows similar patterns for both moving and stationary positions, possibly due to ocean waves. They are considering using a gyroscope, but it is too expensive. The idea of using the ship's engines or looking at the frequency domain is mentioned, but the accelerometer may not pick up the engine vibration. The conversation also discusses the challenges of using accelerometers at sea and mentions that applications that depend on threshold acceleration may still work.
Facelook
Hi,

Does anyone has experience using accelerometer on a ship/vessel to detect whether the vessel is moving or stationary?

The difficult part is that I took some samples at 6Hz and found that all X/Y/Z axes have accelerations going positive and negative. The pattern is exactly the same when the vessel is moving and stationary. I suppose these are caused by ocean waves.

The reason that I have to use an accelerometer to detect movements on a vessel is that my device (a custom embedded system) goes into sleep/hibernation most of the time to save power and it only wakes up to perform some tasks after it detected movements. GPS consumes too much power and therefore it can't be powered on all the time.

Actually I do not need to measure the speed, direction or position, all I need is to identify whether the ship/vessel is moving or stationary at sea. Accelerometer works fine on land, but not at sea probably due to the random ocean waves.

I have also considered using a gyroscope, however, it is too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The accelerometer will only measure acceleration, it cannot tell the difference between being stationary with respect to the Earth or moving at a constant velocity. You can integrate the acceleration data to obtain velocity information, but it will likely become inaccurate over time.

Waterfox said:
The accelerometer will only measure acceleration, it cannot tell the difference between being stationary with respect to the Earth or moving at a constant velocity. You can integrate the acceleration data to obtain velocity information, but will it will become more inaccurate over time.

Thanks.

I suppose when the ship/vessel is moving at sea, it must accelerate and decelerate slightly and continually. I am trying to spot the difference between moving and stationary.

Compare to a car moving on land, I can tell it is moving simply looking x, y and z accelerations going positive and negative due to bumpy roads.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any difference between a ship/vessel moving or stationary.

I'd say you've no chance. How about listening for the ship's engines?

haruspex said:
I'd say you've no chance. How about listening for the ship's engines?

I tried to do that by using Fourier Transform to look at the frequency domain. Unfortunately, no significant signals are found above 1Hz (typical vessel engine is around 100rpm), most signals are found under 1Hz.

It looks to me the accelerometer was unable to pick up the engine vibration.

Well, why do you think Galiloeo used a ship to explain Galilean invariance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_ship

But in a less idealized case, maybe the directions and/or frequencies of the wave induced oscillations are different?

Facelook said:
I tried to do that by using Fourier Transform to look at the frequency domain. Unfortunately, no significant signals are found above 1Hz (typical vessel engine is around 100rpm), most signals are found under 1Hz.

It looks to me the accelerometer was unable to pick up the engine vibration.

OK, I wasn't necessarily thinking of an accelerometer as the detector of the sound, but I don't know what the alternatives are. OTOH, I imagine it would be important how the accelerometer is mounted. Need a diaphragm that would resonate at about the right frequency.

Thanks.

By the way, given the continuous changing accelerations in the 3 axes at sea, does that mean many accelerometer applications may not work well at sea on a vessel? For example, detecting free fall or counting steps.

Applications which depend on a threshold magnitude of acceleration might still work.

What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration or changes in velocity. It works by detecting changes in the forces acting on it, such as gravity, and converting these changes into electrical signals.

Why would an accelerometer be used to detect movement on a vessel at sea?

An accelerometer can be used to detect movement on a vessel at sea because it is able to accurately measure changes in acceleration, which can indicate whether the vessel is moving or stationary.

What are the challenges of using an accelerometer on a vessel at sea?

One of the main challenges of using an accelerometer on a vessel at sea is the constant motion and vibrations of the vessel, which can affect the accuracy of the readings. Additionally, the varying sea conditions and potential interference from other equipment can also pose challenges.

How is the data collected and analyzed from an accelerometer to determine movement on a vessel at sea?

The data from an accelerometer is collected and recorded over a period of time, and then analyzed using specialized software. The software can identify patterns and changes in the acceleration data to determine if the vessel is moving or stationary.

What are the potential applications of using an accelerometer to detect movement on a vessel at sea?

The potential applications of using an accelerometer on a vessel at sea include navigation and tracking, monitoring vessel performance and stability, and detecting and preventing collisions. It can also be used for research purposes, such as studying the effects of sea conditions on vessels.