Finding amplitude of a baby in cot

by charmedbeauty
Tags: amplitude, baby
Share this thread:
charmedbeauty
May19-12, 02:57 AM
P: 272
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A baby bounces up and down in her crib. Her mass is 10.5 kg, and the crib mattress can be modeled as a light spring with force constant 654 N/m.

The baby soon learns to bounce with maximum amplitude and minimum effort by bending her knees at what frequency?

b)If she were to use the mattress as a trampolineŚlosing contact with it for part of each cycleŚwhat minimum amplitude of oscillation does she require?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

for the first part I just did

T=2∏√(m/k)

and f=1/T

f= 1.256

for part b)

ω=2∏/T

T=1/f

ω=2∏(1.256)

=7.89

is this method correct for b)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
BruceW
May19-12, 03:55 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,443
Your method for part a) looks correct. But for part b) you have calculated the natural angular frequency of the system, but the question hasn't asked you to do this. part b) is a slightly odd question. It asks for the required amplitude of oscillation such that the baby leaves the mattress. I don't think there is enough information to find the answer to part b), was there anything else given in the question?

Edit: Oh, I think for part b) you are just supposed to give a word answer. It is a common sense answer, really. You need to think about the situation, no calculation is needed.
charmedbeauty
May19-12, 04:11 AM
Quote Quote by BruceW View Post
Your method for part a) looks correct. But for part b) you have calculated the natural angular frequency of the system, but the question hasn't asked you to do this. part b) is a slightly odd question. It asks for the required amplitude of oscillation such that the baby leaves the mattress. I don't think there is enough information to find the answer to part b), was there anything else given in the question?

Edit: Oh, I think for part b) you are just supposed to give a word answer. It is a common sense answer, really. You need to think about the situation, no calculation is needed.
No its definitely a calculation it has a cm units marked next to it.

magin
May20-12, 01:07 AM
P: 6
Finding amplitude of a baby in cot

For part b), Is this actually pretty easy? Can you just find the spring displacement that would result in an initial acceleration of -9.8m/s^2 if freely released? So the baby would be accelerating downwards at a lesser rate than the cot spring... leaving the spring?
charmedbeauty
May20-12, 01:29 AM
Quote Quote by magin View Post
For part b), Is this actually pretty easy? Can you just find the spring displacement that would result in an initial acceleration of -9.8m/s^2 if freely released? So the baby would be accelerating downwards at a lesser rate than the cot spring... leaving the spring?
you mean find the spring force necessary to overcome the weight force?
magin
May20-12, 01:39 AM
Yes, would this be correct?
charmedbeauty
May20-12, 02:20 AM
Yes, would this be correct?
no

since your asked to find amplitude not force.
magin
May20-12, 05:52 AM
and at a displacement of about 16cm... the spring force and baby are in equilibrium
magin
May20-12, 06:08 AM
I don't think I am wording myself clearly.

If the baby and the mattress were attached to each other, and you pulled the baby upwards by 16 cm and then released it, then the spring force on the baby would result in a downwards acceleration greater than g. The baby and the spring aren't attached however, so it would leave the spring. I think it is fair to think of it like this, at the peak of each oscillation, the baby and spring are momentarily stationary...
charmedbeauty
May22-12, 05:11 AM
I don't think I am wording myself clearly.

If the baby and the mattress were attached to each other, and you pulled the baby upwards by 16 cm and then released it, then the spring force on the baby would result in a downwards acceleration greater than g. The baby and the spring aren't attached however, so it would leave the spring. I think it is fair to think of it like this, at the peak of each oscillation, the baby and spring are momentarily stationary...
maybe try

A=(gm)/k

that should be right

Register to reply