Finding dimensions of a rectangle.

In summary, Michael Redei explains how to solve a problem in which the width is greater than the length by using two equations. The first equation calculates the length, and the second equation calculates the width. Once these equations are solved, the dimensions of the rectangle are revealed.
rcmango

Homework Statement

the perimeter of a rectangle is 24 ft. the length is 4 ft longer than the width find the dimensions

width x
length x+4

however, I should be doing it like this:

a first equation should start like: 2x+2y=?

and the second should start like x=y+?

so what's the length and the width?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x + x + (x+4)+(x+4) = 24
4x+8=24
-8 -8

4x = 16
4x/4 = 16/4

x = 4

so width 4 ft
and length 4+4, so 8 ft.
makes sense, since length should be greater than width.

Physics news on Phys.org
x + x + (x+4)+(x+4) = 24

x = 4

exactly

rcmango said:

Homework Statement

the perimeter of a rectangle is 24 ft. the length is 4 ft longer than the width find the dimensions

width x
length x+4

however, I should be doing it like this:

a first equation should start like: 2x+2y=?

and the second should start like x=y+?

so what's the length and the width?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x + x + (x+4)+(x+4) = 24
4x+8=24
-8 -8

4x = 16
4x/4 = 16/4

x = 4

so width 4 ft
and length 4+4, so 8 ft.
makes sense, since length should be greater than width.

Why do you say you "should be doing it like this:"? There is no *should*---any correct method is OK. Doing it two ways might be helpful towards learning goals, but it is not necessary for correct presentation of the solution.

If you've learned one way of solving problems of this kind, and you're expected to show that you have, in fact, understood the technique, then you probably should be doing just what you are, namely translating the facts bit by bit into equations, i.e.
  • "rectangle" suggests the equation 2x + 2y = 24
  • "width versus height" remark means y = x + 4
If you're just interested in the answer, any method will do, for instance this one, which I'll call "guess and revise":

Start with any width you like, say 7. Then the length will be 4 more, so 11. This gives you a perimeter of 7+7+11+11 = 36.

Oops, that's 12 too much. Let's subtract this "extra" length from the four sides, taking 12/4 = 3 away from each: width now is 7-3 = 4, and length is 11-3 = 8.

thankyou phinds for confirming.

Thanks for completing those equations Michael Redei, i seen them done that way and I didn't understand it, its much more clear now.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle is 2(length + width). This means you must add the length and width together, and then multiply the sum by 2.

2. How do I find the area of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width. This means you must multiply the length by the width to find the total area of the rectangle.

3. Can I find the dimensions of a rectangle if I only know the perimeter?

Yes, you can find the dimensions of a rectangle if you know the perimeter. Since perimeter = 2(length + width), you can rearrange the formula to solve for either the length or width. For example, if you know the perimeter and the width, you can solve for the length by dividing the perimeter by 2 and subtracting the width.

4. What if I only know the area of a rectangle, can I still find the dimensions?

Yes, you can find the dimensions of a rectangle if you know the area. Since area = length x width, you can rearrange the formula to solve for either the length or width. For example, if you know the area and the length, you can solve for the width by dividing the area by the length.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the dimensions of a rectangle?

Yes, in addition to using the formulas for perimeter and area, you can also use geometric properties of rectangles to find the dimensions. For example, the diagonals of a rectangle are equal in length, so if you know the length and width of one diagonal, you can find the length and width of the other diagonal and thus the dimensions of the rectangle.