Solve Universal Gravitation Homework: Find Distance between Moon & Satellite

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universal
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between a satellite (S) and the moon (dm) when all forces on the satellite are null. Using Newton's law of universal gravitation and the given information about the distance between the Earth and the moon and their masses, it can be determined that the distance dm is equal to one-tenth of the total distance between the moon and Earth. Thus, the distance dm is equal to 3.42*10^5 km.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let (S) be a satellite between the Earth and the moon such that (S) is at a distance dm from the moon. All forces on the the satellite are null (equal zero). Find the distance dm .

Given: Distance between moon and Earth is 38*10^4km and the mass of Earth is 81 times the mass of the moon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it's been a long time since I've done any universal gravitation. It would be nice if someone can just give me an idea on how to start and I'll go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let (S) be a satellite between the Earth and the moon such that (S) is at a distance dm from the moon. All forces on the the satellite are null (equal zero). Find the distance dm .

Given: Distance between moon and Earth is 38*10^4km and the mass of Earth is 81 times the mass of the moon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it's been a long time since I've done any universal gravitation. It would be nice if someone can just give me an idea on how to start and I'll go from there.
Start with Newton's law of universal gravitation. Link

If the distance between the moon & the satellite is dm , then what is the distance between the satellite & the Earth ?

SammyS said:
Start with Newton's law of universal gravitation. Link

If the distance between the moon & the satellite is dm , then what is the distance between the satellite & the Earth ?

The distance between the Earth and the satellite is d=D-dm and Newton's law of gravitation says that F=(G*m1*m2)/(r^2)

Last edited:
Let's name the distance from Earth to the satellite by D. So D=d-dm.

And by using g=(GM)/D^2 we get that the distance from the Earth is 6.36*10^3 km.

So that means the distance from the satellite to the moon is

d-D=3.8*10^5-6.36*10^3=3.74*10^5 km. Is that correct??

mtayab1994 said:
Let's name the distance from Earth to the satellite by D. So D=d-dm.

And by using g=(GM)/D^2 we get that the distance from the Earth is 6.36*10^3 km.

So that means the distance from the satellite to the moon is

d-D=3.8*10^5-6.36*10^3=3.74*10^5 km. Is that correct??
It's not clear what all you put together to get that result.

Please fill in and explain some steps.

My approach would be set the magnitudes of the following two forces equal to each other.
The force exerted on the satellite by the moon.

The force exerted on the satellite by the earth.​

By setting the forces equal to one another i got in the end:

Me/Mm=dm^2/de^2 and we know that the mass of the Earth is 81 times the mass of the moon so we get 81Mm/Mm=(dm^2)/(de^2) and then we cancel with the mass of the moon and square root both sides and we are left with. √81=dm/de and we know that the distance from the satellite and the Earth is d-dm. and by doing some simple algebra we find that the distance to the moon is d/10 the total distance between the moon and Earth so that gives us
3.8*10^4 km.

Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
By setting the forces equal to one another i got in the end:

Me/Mm=dm^2/de^2 and we know that the mass of the Earth is 81 times the mass of the moon so we get 81Mm/Mm=(dm^2)/(de^2) and then we cancel with the mass of the moon and square root both sides and we are left with. √81=dm/de and we know that the distance from the satellite and the Earth is d-dm. and by doing some simple algebra we find that the distance to the moon is 9/10 times the total distance between the moon and Earth so that gives us
3.42*10^5 km. Is that correct now??

It's quite difficult to try to figure out what all you have done to get your answer. Having youe text all packed together so tightly doesn't help either.

[itex]\displaystyle G \frac{M_m\, m}{{d_m}^2}=G \frac{M_e\, m}{(d-d_m)^2}\,,\ [/itex]

where Mm is the moon's mass, Me is the Earth's mass, m is the satellite's mass, dm is the satellite's distance from the moon, and d is the monn's distance from earth.

Me = 81 Mm. Plugging this in & doing some manipulation gives:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{M_m}{{d_m}^2}=\frac{81M_m}{(d-d_m)^2}\ [/itex] [itex]\displaystyle\quad\to\quad d-d_m=d_m\sqrt{81}=9d_m\ [/itex] [itex]\displaystyle\quad\to\quad d_m=\frac{d}{10}\ [/itex]

Well, yes, your answer is correct.

1. What is Universal Gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the distance between the Moon and a satellite calculated?

The distance between the Moon and a satellite can be calculated using the formula d=√(GM/R), where G is the universal gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the Moon (7.35 x 10^22 kg), and R is the distance between the Moon and the satellite.

3. What is the importance of calculating the distance between the Moon and a satellite?

Calculating the distance between the Moon and a satellite is important in understanding the motion and orbits of objects in space. It can also help in predicting the trajectory of a satellite and ensuring its proper placement in orbit.

4. What are the units of measurement used for the distance between the Moon and a satellite?

The units of measurement used for the distance between the Moon and a satellite are meters (m) or kilometers (km). In some cases, astronomical units (AU) may also be used.

5. How does the distance between the Moon and a satellite affect the gravitational force between them?

The distance between the Moon and a satellite has an inverse relationship with the gravitational force between them. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the gravitational force increases.